Snake Fungal Disease: Emerging Epidemic Feared

findi

Jan 28, 2012
Hi All,
Recently I reported on a study that documented declines of 50-90% in 17 populations of 8 snake species (please see article linked below). These findings brought to mind the global amphibian decline that was first uncovered in 1990. Since then, an emerging disease caused by the fungus Batrachochytrium dendrobatitis has likely caused the extinctions of over 100 frog species. Researchers seeking to avoid a similar crisis among the world’s snakes have now identified an emerging illness, Snake Fungal Disease, as cause for serious concern. Associated with a newly-described fungus, Chrysosporium ophiodiicola, the disease has been found in several species in 9 states (USA), but is likely much more widespread. Read article here Snake Fungal Disease - Conservationists Fear Emerging Disease Epidemic
Please also check out my posts on Twitter http://bitly.com/JP27Nj and Facebook http://on.fb.me/KckP1m

My Bio, with photos of animals I’ve been lucky enough to work with That Pet Place welcomes Zoologist/Herpetologist Frank Indiviglio to That Reptile Blog | That Reptile Blog. Thanks, Frank

interesting article, thanks Frank:)

Wow, yet another AWESOME article, Frank! Thanks SO much.

May I ask you something? Do you know anything about the "White Nose Syndrome" in bats? I have 2 bat houses in my yard, and they are both filled. This is my second year of observing babies in the bigger house. :) Each year I anxiously await their arrival, always worried they may not show due to the "White Nose Syndrome".

May I ask you something? Do you know anything about the "White Nose Syndrome" in bats? I have 2 bat houses in my yard, and they are both filled. This is my second year of observing babies in the bigger house. :) Each year I anxiously await their arrival, always worried they may not show due to the "White Nose Syndrome".

Great that bats have taken to them, often difficult to draw interest. Situation always changing, as happens with all emerging diseases; here is the US F&W Service site; NJ state wildlife dept would have more info on local situation. Have you Id'd the species there?

Great that bats have taken to them, often difficult to draw interest. Situation always changing, as happens with all emerging diseases; here is the US F&W Service site; NJ state wildlife dept would have more info on local situation. Have you Id'd the species there?

Yes, I have. I have both Myotis lucifugus & Eptesicus fuscus.

The Myotis lucifugus have babies in my larger box. :)

We put the first box up 6 years ago, and it took 2 years for it to become occupied. The second, larger box went up in the winter of 2010, and in spring of 2011 I observed bat occupation. Strangely enough the Big Brown Bats (Eptisicus fuscus) are occupying the smaller box, while the Myotis lucifugus are in the large one.

Yes, I have. I have both Myotis lucifugus & Eptesicus fuscus.

The Myotis lucifugus have babies in my larger box. :)

We put the first box up 6 years ago, and it took 2 years for it to become occupied. The second, larger box went up in the winter of 2010, and in spring of 2011 I observed bat occupation. Strangely enough the Big Brown Bats (Eptisicus fuscus) are occupying the smaller box, while the Myotis lucifugus are in the large one.

Great to hear; I have some boxes near my nephew's house in N. NJ, but no luck yet. What part of the stae are you in?

Best, Frank

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back