Subject: Female Green Cheek Conure feather discoloration (yellowing edges/whitish patches) after egg-laying history — Advice needed!

Shaahi

New member
Joined
Aug 19, 2026
Messages
1
Reaction score
2
Post Body:


Hi everyone,


I’m looking for some advice and shared experiences regarding my female Green-Cheeked Conure.


Over the past few molts, I noticed her back and wing feathers changing color. Her feathers used to be a deep, dark green, but now the green feathers are turning yellowish at the edges/tips, and there are pale, whitish patches showing through.


Here is some background context on her:


  • General Health & Activity: She is completely active, energetic, and behaves normally. Her droppings look normal (no yellow/lime green urates).
  • Bonded Pair Comparison: She lives with a male companion conure who shares the same cage/setup, and his feathers and health are completely normal and vibrant.
  • Egg-Laying History: She previously laid 2–3 clutches over a 2-year period. She hasn't laid any eggs recently (which I know is safer for her), but I suspect the prolonged hormonal cycles and nutrient depletion might have taken a toll on her system.
  • Current Feathers: I waited for her new feathers to come in during her molts, but they still don't seem to be coming back in their original rich green shade.

I've attached a clear photo of her back plumage so you can see the yellow edging and fading.


Has anyone experienced similar feather depigmentation or "bronzing"/yellowing with female GCCs after breeding cycles? Did your bird need specific dietary tweaks (e.g., higher amino acids, specific pellet brands, liver-support herbs like milk thistle, or calcium/vitamin A boosters) to get their full vibrant colors back in subsequent molts?


Any advice, diet recommendations, or insights on what helped your conures recover their feather condition would be greatly appreciated!


Thanks in advance!
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20260819-174000.Google.webp
    Screenshot_20260819-174000.Google.webp
    48.9 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20260819_173439950~2.webp
    IMG_20260819_173439950~2.webp
    94.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20260819_173356725.webp
    IMG_20260819_173356725.webp
    224.5 KB · Views: 39
  • Care
Reactions: AMD
Welcome to the forum, I personally have no advice, but hopefully someone else can assist you!
 

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom