So ....... hi!

darkling

Apr 13, 2011
Alabama
Parrots
RIP Pi - Sun Conure 02/06/11 - 09/10/11
Hi there, I'm Dawn. My first thread was me in a panic but things are more settled now so I guess I'll introduce myself.

I just brought my parrot home today. He is a DNA sexed male green wing macaw. I'm told he's about 7 months old and he is a beauty! He's the first large bird I've had that is actually mine.

About 6 years ago I dated a guy who had four parrots of his own; an umbrella cockatoo, an indian ringneck, a chattering lory and a blue and gold macaw we adopted from an abusive home. The B&G bonded closely with me during the 4 months I was around him and to be honest, I think I loved him more than the boyfriend.

It took me several years to be ready to have my own parrot and I'm a little bit nervous, to be honest. It took me nearly 3 and a half hours to get him into his cage after bringing him home! Obviously I have a lot to learn.

In addition to my newest baby, I also have two dogs (a long haired chihuahua and a senior cattle dog mix) and a Siamese cat. I work from home and live alone so these guys keep me sane.

Welcome! We all have to start from somewhere so I wouldn't worry about it. When I first got my horse I spent nearly three hours trying to halter him and he was even in a stall! lol Then again, he was a neglected foal that had never had human interaction before. Still though, it took my trainer less than 10 minutes after I handed it over to her. haha. We all need to be beginners before we can be experts!

I bet you are so excited to finally have a parrot of your own. I am sure your experience will be very rewarding!

Welcome Welcome Welcome. Glad U R Here. Pics please :)

Welcome to the forum!!!!! That's 3 and a half hour worth of new beginner learning for ya! I hope you the best with your new friend. Macaws are wonderful birds but you must learn the body language pretty quick as their beak can be pretty dangerous if your not careful!

Welcome to the forum!!!!! That's 3 and a half hour worth of new beginner learning for ya! I hope you the best with your new friend. Macaws are wonderful birds but you must learn the body language pretty quick as their beak can be pretty dangerous if your not careful!

He walked up to me at one point and reached out and pinched the skin on my leg. He actually broke the skin before he let go. So yeah, now I am a little bit intimidated. I don't want to lose a finger or something.

How do I know when he's about to bite/pinch or when he's just exploring?

This morning as I was feeding him he acted really curious about me and let me stroke his beak a little bit but I was too hesitant to push any further.

Welcome Darkling, If there is one thing that I have learned throughout animal rescue is that you have to have a very firm hand. (not literally) Just be very dominant. Show them you are boss. If you show fear they will continue to test you. Soon after if you continue to allow them to test you and let them win then they will be the dominant one and rule over you. That's never good. There you have a major problem on your hands. I just ordered a Book on Amazon.com It's called "The Parrot Problem Solver" by Barbara Heidenreich It looks like an amazing book that can help assist you though-out your endeavors with your new baby. Best of luck and Welcome again!

He was obviously the dominant member in his previous home and I'd like to avoid that here. I don't want to live in fear of my bird. I'll get that book ASAP. Thanks!

Excellent recommendation on the book. It is an amazing book. I read it often. Why didn't I think of recommending it?!?! :rolleyes:

I have a few of her books and DVD's. In addition, I highly recommend subscribing to her newsletter, read her website, buy her DVD's and add her to your facebook. I know this seems like alot but she provides alot of good information to many of the questions that I see here on this forum. She is very gentle and so are her training methods. She also has a couple of things for instant download. I would recommend you download her e-book for teaching the step up. :) I think its $24.95 and you have access to printed material along with videos.

All her methods have worked well for me. I hope to attend one of her conferences when she comes around to my area.

Welcome Darkling, If there is one thing that I have learned throughout animal rescue is that you have to have a very firm hand. (not literally) Just be very dominant. Show them you are boss. If you show fear they will continue to test you. Soon after if you continue to allow them to test you and let them win then they will be the dominant one and rule over you. That's never good. There you have a major problem on your hands. I just ordered a Book on Amazon.com It's called "The Parrot Problem Solver" by Barbara Heidenreich It looks like an amazing book that can help assist you though-out your endeavors with your new baby. Best of luck and Welcome again!

Last edited:
They will bow down to trick you. Or tuck their head back with a open beak. At times even spread their wings and stand up high. I usually push Willie's beak down just gentle and say no biting. He don't ever try to bite me unless he's nervous about his surroundings.

Gotta Love the Greenwings!! When I first started interacting with Bob, I reached my hand from the front of him twards the top of his head to pet him, if and when he goes to bite as he raises his head to get you, you have time to just "lift" your hand away. Worked for Bob and I. When they finally bond with you, they are really "Gentle Giants"
He don't ever try to bite me unless he's nervous about his surroundings
Bob is pretty much the same.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back