So, what is Bu doing?

jonahsmom

Jun 18, 2012
Parrots
Buddy - green cheek conure; Luna - yellow crowned amazon; Bella - miniature dachshund; Schatzie - affenpinscher; RIP Boudreaux - timneh african grey
Sorry for the poor quality video. And the fact that it doesn't show all of what I'm talking about. Bu will do this weird thing....

I think it might be a content, happy behavior, but I want to make sure you've all seen this with your greys before. He's going to the vet in the morning for his first check up and to have his wings and nails (and beak if the vet feels it should be) done. So I'll ask him this question, but want to ask you guys so I could *maybe* sleep tonight.

This usually happens after he's been getting a good scritching or has been enjoying being with us. He is seriously soooo sweet. He'll start with his beak just looking, I guess kind of like he's chewing gum (it's not really very pronounced in the video but his beak constantly moves)? And his wings he will kind of hold out from his body and he'll step on my hand or finger with one foot, then the other, sometimes both. And sometimes he'll try to step up on my face (if he's on my shoulder). He seems very content with us and relaxed. He'll step up to any of us no matter where we're at, or no matter where he's at. Sometimes if he's doing something particularly naughty he doesn't want to, but we persist and he eventually does. So I thought I'd post the video to see if maybe you all think maybe it seems like normal behavior for a grey. This is our first grey and although I can read about all kinds of behavior, illnesses, etc, it's not the same as actually being in the middle of it. I just want to make sure it's not a seizure or something like that. :( It doesn't seem seizure-y, but I've also never seen a bird in person that was having a seizure....sooo....thanks in advance for either giving me something specific to ask the vet or making me feel a ton better. :) We were also thinking it could have something to do with his nails being so crazy long? Which is being corrected tomorrow. He also likes to like my hands and fingers when he's doing this. Which is fine with me because he is super gentle.

Last edited:
OP
J

jonahsmom

Jun 18, 2012
Parrots
Buddy - green cheek conure; Luna - yellow crowned amazon; Bella - miniature dachshund; Schatzie - affenpinscher; RIP Boudreaux - timneh african grey
Well, I'm dumb. He's still doing this allll the time and I FINALLY came across some african grey mating behavior videos. Apparently he thinks I'm his girlfriend. I'm glad he likes me but um...yeah guess I better put an end to that. Ignoring it doesn't seem to work because he is persistent and keeps grabbing my ear. I'd like to not have him try to mate with my ear. LOL

Anybody else's greys do this on a regular basis? I'm not sure of the best way to discourage the behavior....

Alisana

May 31, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Yuki - Snow white budgie; Luna - Blue budgie; Pocket - Hahn's Macaw
Well, I'm dumb. He's still doing this allll the time and I FINALLY came across some african grey mating behavior videos. Apparently he thinks I'm his girlfriend. I'm glad he likes me but um...yeah guess I better put an end to that. Ignoring it doesn't seem to work because he is persistent and keeps grabbing my ear. I'd like to not have him try to mate with my ear. LOL

Anybody else's greys do this on a regular basis? I'm not sure of the best way to discourage the behavior....

Mmm... try redirecting his attention? Ensure you don't accidentally "punish" him though, because he might feel really hurt/rejected that you "don't want him". He's just showing affection.

If you have an exciting new toy, when he starts his mating/courtship behaviour, get really excited and show him the new toy and start playing with him. It should distract him long enough to forget about his urges for a bit.

Same with regurgitating behaviour - one recommendation I read was to place your index finger on their beak very gently and just say "no, thank you" but then play with them after.

Most Reactions