Some confusion about the movie Rio

Solo

Feb 24, 2015
Wichita,KS
Parrots
Shamrock Macaw
I have noted several members on the forum stating that they would love to have a Hyacinth Macaw, but since it's not foreseeable in their future that they would stick to the cartoon animated movie Rio to satisfy their Hy fix. However, the movie Rio was actually inspired by a Spix Macaw, also known as a Blue Macaw (so many Blue Macaws to keep track of as the Hy and Lears are ALSO known as Blue Macaws) Some differences..no yellow facial patch. Sorry..couldn't help but throw this out there..and I had nothing better to do than surf the web for seemingly useless information.. Lol

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I think (in general, there may be a few bird people amongst them) movie makers know very little about parrots (nor do they care to) but do know a whole lot more about creating cute sudo-lifelike characters that will sell movie tickets and merchandise like hotcakes. And for the same reason people like Bambi, Scooby Doo and Mickey Mouse, being spot-on to realistic details doesn't really apply to animation and entertaiment.

OP
Solo

Solo

Feb 24, 2015
Wichita,KS
Parrots
Shamrock Macaw
It actually makes a lot more sense to me. In relation to a Spix I think they did a fairly accurate job, I never thought it was supposed to be a Hy because they don't look like a Hy. So my confusion was with why others thought Rio was a Hy? Also there's a very sweet story about the Spix Macaw that inspired the movie.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I thought it was a Spix's since in the movie they were saying he's the only one left, etc. and isn't Jewel a lighter shade than Rio? More like a real Spix's. You're right too, the characters have no yellow skin patches :).

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
There are several things that bother me about the rio movies-- first is the hy/spix mix up, and the fact that they got their feet totally wrong-- parrots have zygodactyl feet (2 facing forward, 2 facing backwards), but in the movies all the parrots have only 3 toes.

The first one they also show him drinking hot chocolate~ I wonder how many people have their birds hot chocolate after seeing that? And then pancakes in rio 2?

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Oh I didn't know there was a Rio 2! How many years ago did that come out? LOL!

I never noticed the 3 toes... but kind of like how cartoon people are always drawn with 4 fingers?

OP
Solo

Solo

Feb 24, 2015
Wichita,KS
Parrots
Shamrock Macaw
I completely agree with the disturbing 3 toes. I was not fond of the hot chocolate, sunscreen, and other dangerous foods either.

BirdSquawk

Aug 21, 2012
Parrots
Jack- 5 year old pacific parrotlet
I too was frustrated by the inaccuracies, but I think a lot of it was to anthropomorphise the birds so they would be more interesting to kids (but would it be that hard to add another toe?). Also, I think the first and the second movie do a fair job of showing that most birds belong in the wild, and a wonderful job at demonizing the wild-caught bird trade.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
It actually makes a lot more sense to me. In relation to a Spix I think they did a fairly accurate job, I never thought it was supposed to be a Hy because they don't look like a Hy. So my confusion was with why others thought Rio was a Hy? Also there's a very sweet story about the Spix Macaw that inspired the movie.

I think our brains are wired to make associations between similar appearing things, especially when we like them personally. Theres another movie called Paulie that I really like. It's not that it features an amazon, but it does feature a green parrot I can relate to because he somewhat resembles birds I feel a special connection to. In the case of Rio, I think those who feel a special connection to Hy's can see that in the characters of the movie because they look fairly similar.

Most Reactions

Latest posts