Somersaulting photos and video!

dulphinz

Apr 30, 2013
NH
Parrots
Male Eclectus- Coco
Female B&G- Tinker
Fargo and you are simply amazing!!! I love all your videos and photos. Such a smart boy you have there.

csperkins3

Jun 20, 2013
Arizona
Parrots
Ozzy - CAG (born April 2010)

Bubbles - B&G Macaw (born Jan. 2012)
Fargo is amazing. I am so glad you posted that video. I love how easy he makes it look for him to do. I have been looking back through some old posts and stuff since I just got a 1.5 year old B&G and I love seeing your photos and videos.
I am hoping to start working on training Bubbles soon but have only had her a month on Saturday so I wanted to make sure she was all settled in first.
I was wondering if you don't mind my asking, What camera do you use to take your videos and how do you up load them? Meaning which program you use.
I mostly use my iphone but it seems to have a poor quality when not played back on my phone. So I was just curious on what you use.
Anyway, I hope Fargo wins because he certainly deserves it. You are doing an amazing job with him and I wanted to wish you good luck.
I hope to be able to teach Bubbles a few things but I am worried since I am starting with a bird that is not straight from a breeder that it will be difficult.
I also have an African Grey that absolutely will not train. If I try he charges me and refuses all treats. Silly Bird.
Good Luck, I hope he wins:)

Thank you! He makes it look incredibly easy hey! haha

Oh i started training Fargo on his third day home, that was flight recall, then after a week we started trick training! Turning around was his first trick!

I use my ipod touch! So the quality usually sucks unless i am outside.. Then pictures i use this expensive Nikon camera haha

Depending on what i am doing with the video, if i have to add 2 videos together, or a few ones like his big trick video, i just use the windows media player movie maker, which i edit, then upload to youtube.. But if its just one video i upload to youtube straight away!

If you read my previous threads you would of seen Fargo wasnt your typical baby from a breeder, he hated being touched, and just flew away from you, even the breeders couldnt handle him, he had the nickname feral... So it wont be difficult ! Just keep training sessions very simple and short to begin with ! Always finish on a positive note.. I set a little goal, so i will say, i will help him somersault 5 times, and that will be enough for today!

Some birds just dont like trick training though! hahaha Some love it, others prefer to sit and look pretty ;)

Thank you again! :D
Thank you so much for your reply. Oh wow I had not read the issues you dealt with when you first got Fargo. Sounds like he has come a long way. It is amazing what you have done with him. Have you had to restrict his diet to get him to train? or is he just happy to work for food. The people at Birdtricks recommend having your bird hungry to train and that is more difficult for me. I guess it all comes down to individual birds but I was curious if it had been an issue for you with training Fargo. I was first going to try it during the times of day I know she is more interested in food.
Thanks you again and I sure hope Fargo wins because he deserves it.

Abigal7

Jun 17, 2012
United States of America/ Kansas
Parrots
Captain Jack (Hahn's macaw)

Clover (green cheek conure)
All, the pictures are nice. Fargo is such a smart bird. I will have to get tips from you on starting training with Captain Jack. He already comes to me when called. I agree with your view on making it fun. To be honest I am sure Captain Jack would find learning stuff fun. I also like Frago's stick out tongue signature since it shows he has a sense of humor. It is interesting how their tongues are so dark. Captain Jack sometimes tries to taste stuff with his black tongue.

Last edited:
OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fargo- Blue and Gold Macaw
Thank you so much for your reply. Oh wow I had not read the issues you dealt with when you first got Fargo. Sounds like he has come a long way. It is amazing what you have done with him. Have you had to restrict his diet to get him to train? or is he just happy to work for food. The people at Birdtricks recommend having your bird hungry to train and that is more difficult for me. I guess it all comes down to individual birds but I was curious if it had been an issue for you with training Fargo. I was first going to try it during the times of day I know she is more interested in food.
Thanks you again and I sure hope Fargo wins because he deserves it.

Thats ok :D haha

Actually i just read a comment on a youtube video which was from the breeders and they said they are proud of how Fargo is now :D

Ahhhh i HATE that they train their birds when they are hungriest.

No way!!!! Fargo might do a training session with a full crop, or a half full crop, just depends on what time we feel like training :p Sometimes it might be just before bed time! No matter what time and how full he is, he will always do a training session for some pecan bits ;)

I dont think its fair to feed when they are hungriest just so they can train, the bird should be willing to train because they WANT to, not because they HAVE to!

Honestly, so far Fargo has had about 3 days altogether since i have had him, that he just hasnt want to train, he wasnt in the mood, so thats fine, i dont wait until he is hungry and then make him train, we just do it for fun! :)

He always has food, he loves eating, so there is really no time that he is hungry anyway! :09: Thats why its so easy to train, because he just loves his food!

I think if you find out what her favourite food is, then she will be willing to train no matter what time!

We are finding out the winner today!

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
All, the pictures are nice. Fargo is such a smart bird. I will have to get tips from you on starting training with Captain Jack. He already come to me when called. I agree with your view on making it fun. To be honest I am sure Captain Jack would find earning stuff fun. I also like Frago's stick out tongue signature since it shows he has a sense of humor. It is interesting how their tongues are so dark. Captain Jack sometimes tries to taste stuff with his black tongue.

Thank you!

No problem! If you have any questions just ask :)
Flight recall was the first thing i taught Fargo too!! Thats basically the first step to see that the bird trusts you! :rolleyes:

Yes exactly, make it a play time, like yesterday i just did a quick session with Fargo, we sat on the floor, and i asked him to roll over, and then somersault, and he did both perfectly!! So that was it, he only did 2 tricks and then i rolled him over and just tickled him and told him what a good boy he was!

Hahaha Captain Jack will try and taste EVERYTHING with his tongue :09:
and is it Captain Jack, as in Captain Jack Sparrow? :rolleyes:

Wings

Jun 14, 2013
Ohio
Parrots
Budgie, "Julie"
so...who won? I bet it is fargo :) Beautifully cute name by the way!

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
We still dont know yet :eek: it finished last night, but they have been judging since then apparently !

Haha thanks, he was named after a scientist on my favourite tv show- Eureka- Douglas Fargo ;) So Fargos full name is Fargo Douglas hahaha

Wings

Jun 14, 2013
Ohio
Parrots
Budgie, "Julie"
Omg gratz :D I had faith in fargo! Now, let us celebrate with hopping smilies
:jumping40:jumping40:jumping40:jumping40

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
THANKS GUYS!!!!!!!!!! He is finally starting to earn his keep hey ;) just kidding :09: But this is his third competition he has won :rolleyes:

Its like, what do you get for a bird, that already has everything? :54:

Hahahaha already got my order ready, at first i couldnt find anything, he is way too spoilt, and he doesnt like huge big wood toys, and he doesnt like shredding toys, and he has almost every foraging toy, but he loves plastic toys.... It is getting harder to buy for him.. and he already has an order for 3 big natural wood boing/swing/atom on the way! :eek:

So got some plastic chain which he loves to destroy, some plastic foot toys, some other foot toys, and another foraging toy! :D
and foooooood.... cause we had run out of his favourite cooked mixes, so i got some more packs of it for the big fatty ;)
Food is always good :09:

Abigal7

Jun 17, 2012
United States of America/ Kansas
Parrots
Captain Jack (Hahn's macaw)

Clover (green cheek conure)
All, the pictures are nice. Fargo is such a smart bird. I will have to get tips from you on starting training with Captain Jack. He already come to me when called. I agree with your view on making it fun. To be honest I am sure Captain Jack would find earning stuff fun. I also like Frago's stick out tongue signature since it shows he has a sense of humor. It is interesting how their tongues are so dark. Captain Jack sometimes tries to taste stuff with his black tongue.

Thank you!

No problem! If you have any questions just ask :)
Flight recall was the first thing i taught Fargo too!! Thats basically the first step to see that the bird trusts you! :rolleyes:

Yes exactly, make it a play time, like yesterday i just did a quick session with Fargo, we sat on the floor, and i asked him to roll over, and then somersault, and he did both perfectly!! So that was it, he only did 2 tricks and then i rolled him over and just tickled him and told him what a good boy he was!

Hahaha Captain Jack will try and taste EVERYTHING with his tongue :09:
and is it Captain Jack, as in Captain Jack Sparrow? :rolleyes:

I am so glad Fargo won! I will let you know if I have any questions. I will keep on having him come to me. I have been thinking of starting with simple tricks such as waving. On his name I though about naming him Drogon but decided on a sailor/ pirate name. While I did not intentionally name him after Jack Sparrow the concept of a pirate name was the idea. Yes, he likes to taste anything and he is a big eater too.

Last edited:
OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
I am so glad Fargo won! I will let you know if I have any questions. I will keep on having him come to me. I have been thinking of starting with simple tricks such as waving. One his name I though about naming Drogon but decided on a sailor/ pirate name. While I did not intentionally name him after Jack Sparrow the concept of a pirate name was the idea. Yes, he likes to taste anything and he is a big eater too.

Thank you :D

Yeah definitely, wave, shake hands, turn around are simple ones! and even just going through a little tunnel! and then you can make him a little slide :09:

Ahhh ok, pirate names are always good for a macaw! and the captain part makes it even cuter!

Oh if he is a big eater then he will be good at training, food is just the best ! ;) hahaha

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Hahaha :D Thank you !

It was just 50 dollars, but i have put extra money to it! ;)

Just trying to picture what Fargos room will look like soon, its already starting to look like a huge play gym with the 5 meters of plastic chain hung across, and a big wooden ladder connecting it to the gym!

It definitely all makes my room look bright and colourful... like a clowns room :54:

I love spoiling him, hes like a kid at christmas when a new box of toys come :rolleyes: hahahaha

Most Reactions

Latest posts