Sooooo Irritated Right Now!!!

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
Hey we did a rehome on a GREENWING one time. They bought the bird because they re-did their McMansion in a tropical theme, and the bird matched the curtains in their game room perfectly... What's more tropical than a macaw?! And we're the only one on the block whose got one... (which makes us special!)

So they put the bird cage next to the curtains, and guess what happened?!

And apparently IT was LOUD, and it POOPED (a lot), and threw food.

Handle it?! We thought it stayed in the cage! What do you mean we have to let it out. I don't want THAT THING flying around my house.

And these people were "COLLEGE EDUCATED PROFESSIONALS!"

Because we wouldn't want a baby macaw going to anyone IGNORANT! :D
OMG I got SO PISSED OFF just reading this! Just unbelievable how dumb can people be!!! :11:
BTW, my Mom came to visit us from Russia this summer and would tell me why wouldn't I get rid of all the birds! You're just wasting your time on them. They are so useless anyway and make only noise and mess.
And I had only 4 at that time! :)
That's my Mom, otherwise a very nice person! :( I posted about it here too - I was so upset... Some people just don't understand I guess. Like I don't understand many things too, but I always try not to judge people loving them.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
People have no idea just how sweet these birds can be, Bella (my B&G) loves to sit on my shoulder and preen my hair, sit on my chest and give kisses, preen my eyelashes, purrs, rolls over for tummy rubs etc. You have to ignore the people who don't understand, it's their loss! I've lost count how many times I've heard " Really? It's just a bird!"

You can't fix stupid! :D

Exactly!

Ignorance can be rehabilitated; in the case of birds an open mind, heart, and willingness to love something other than a dog or cat.

Fixing stupid is a challenge for some that exceeds an entire lifetime!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Birdman: I agree, bit what happens once there is a two year old with bloody fingers? Birdie gets to stay in its cage forever, if not given away like a broken toy. It is just sad. :(

I never even implied that I thought it was a good idea...

My point was that a two year old is not even equipped to take care of a goldfish every day, much less cater to the care needs of a CAG.

And your analysis is pretty much spot on... and it happens!

miloslave

May 17, 2010
South Africa - Cape Town
Parrots
Mustache Parakeet - Milo
CAG - Charlie
Lol, no birdman, sorry, I did not mean that you thought it was a good idea, just pointed out the consequences to the poor bird as a result of ignorant choices by uninformed people. :)

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Well it all goes back to that same sentence you heard over and over again, from exasperated people hoping YOU will get a clue, and stop bothering them about these details:

"It's JUST a bird!"

Stop me if you've heard THAT sentence before...

Here's hoping I, and many others, remain clueless... for their sake.

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
If we are attributing "human emotions" to our pets, my galah is probably more "affectionate" in that she won't leave me alone. She has to come over, she has to sit on you, all the time. My cats and dogs are happy to sit "wherever", they aren't clamped like limpets.

She's obviously never had birds and has misguided perceptions. We all know better.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I know I shouldn't let it bother me, but somehow it always gets under my skin when some non-parrot person doesn't have a clue what they are talking about!

My Mom's friend (I have known her for years and years) told Mom last night how "birds aren't affectionate like cats and dogs are"!!! :eek:

Send your mom's friend that Hy clip I posted earlier! That oughta shut her up... Or better yet, put together a compilation from the internet! There's only about 1000 amazing superbonded bird videos out there...

Last edited:

Helitorian

Dec 15, 2011
Nebraska
Parrots
RIP Constantine: Jenday Conure
Well it all goes back to that same sentence you heard over and over again, from exasperated people hoping YOU will get a clue, and stop bothering them about these details:

"It's JUST a bird!"

Stop me if you've heard THAT sentence before...

Here's hoping I, and many others, remain clueless... for their sake.

Oh yeah. That phrase.
It's just a bird.
It's just a cat.
It's just (insert your beloved animal here)

After Con died, a family friend who's always been a bit abrasive to deal with, told me "It was just a bird. Get over it. It's not like you lost your kid."
I'll never forget or forgive her for it and I couldn't very well tear into her for it because she lost her daughter two years ago after a night of wild partying that ended with her being thrown from a car which them landed on top of her.

But yeah, that phrase. I hate it.

Hawk

Banned
Banned
Dec 5, 2014
Media
Albums
Michigan, USA
Parrots
5 Parrots, 8 year old Blue-fronted Amazon, 2 1/2 yr. old African Grey, 2 3/4 year old Senegal. 5 month old ekkie, 5 month old Albino parakeet. Major Mitchell Cockatoo, passed away at age 68.
Oh My God, I have to tell all you parrot owners what happen.

Hi everyone,

After reading these posts, I just had to tell you what happened last summer. Had my parrots out in yard on our front porch, we live in deep country, not a lot of traffic on this road. And this lady down the road went by as I had my grey on my shoulders real slow. Later that afternoon, she came to the door with her Cat in her arms and said, " I noticed your parrots and wondered if my cat can see your parrots, he never seen parrots before"....Now I'm standing there really dumb founded, because I never met this person before, and hadn't a clue in hell what to say to a complete idiot! So I said, well first can my 3 dogs see your cat, they never seen a cat up close, and besides my birds are sleeping at the moment", she responded back, "Oh no no, my cat is terrified of dogs." And she left.
My wife asked What was that about, I told her, and the look on her face was priceless.

Anyway, next day she came over much earlier, carrying her cat right up onto the porch, and again asked if her cat could see the birds. Just then My wife opened the door and dogs began barking at her cat. Her cat did a 360 as she was holding it, claws extended trying to run a 1000 miles an hour up over her face and down her back. She was bleeding quite good on the face from that, but chased her cat and went home. M y wife and I are now thinking, gosh what an idiot this person is.

A few hours later the Sherriff shows up (2 of them) with complaint that my dogs attacked her and her cat. My wife and I looked at each other then said..." ohhhhh your going to have to come in sit down and hear the story behind this"....they did and when we were done, the 2 sheriffs were busting up laughing with tears! I showed the cops my parrots, and one of the cops nudged me and said " Should have thrown the cat in the cage with the parrots, wouldn't have had a chance with those beaks" LOL....then they left....never did see the woman down the road again.:grey::32::32::09::blue2::green1:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Re: Oh My God, I have to tell all you parrot owners what happen.

"Oh no no, my cat is terrified of dogs."

My retort to her right there would have been, did you ever think that perhaps the sight of your cat might terrify my birds?

Actually, she could bring that cat over to my place anytime...

Anytime she wants to watch her cat be tormented that is! My birds chase cats, not the other way around...

Last edited:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Re: Oh My God, I have to tell all you parrot owners what happen.

A few hours later the Sherriff shows up (2 of them) with complaint that my dogs attacked her and her cat. My wife and I looked at each other then said..." ohhhhh your going to have to come in sit down and hear the story behind this"....they did and when we were done, the 2 sheriffs were busting up laughing with tears!

The word that comes immediately to mind is AUDACITY!!!

First, that you would want her kitty to be your bird's playmate...
Second, that she didn't make the connection when you hinted about your dogs... (Dense. Gotta spell it out for her!)
Third, that she would actually come back... and,
Fourth, that she would lie to the Police about being "attacked" by your dogs...
AND SHE'S THE ONE WHO IS OFFENDED?!

Audacity! It's a good word. The only word that fits this situation other than "absurd."

Hawk

Banned
Banned
Dec 5, 2014
Media
Albums
Michigan, USA
Parrots
5 Parrots, 8 year old Blue-fronted Amazon, 2 1/2 yr. old African Grey, 2 3/4 year old Senegal. 5 month old ekkie, 5 month old Albino parakeet. Major Mitchell Cockatoo, passed away at age 68.
Re:The crazy cat lady!

Hi Birdman and milo,

My birds chase dogs !!!!! Cats would just be dessert. I'm sure the sheriffs gave her a citation for lying to police, they should have put her in a funny farm. Anyone that darn stupid shouldn't own pets.

I guess from the grapevine I'm told the lady has some mental issue....oh great, that's all I need a nut job on the loose in my area. By the way our dogs are petite miniature wiener dogs, ( my wife's little rug rats). Our birds steal their dog treats and climb down the cage walk on the floor and bite their tails. Quite Hilarious.

Thanks everyone.:D:yellow1::rainbow1::green:

Aandeg

Oct 16, 2014
Wisconsin and Minnesota
Parrots
Quaker-Niimi

Budgie-SweeDee
Having a pet crow i can't count the number of times someone suggested i need to "split its tongue" so it could talk. I don't know where this myth came from but there are a lot of people who believe it. The idea of doing something like that to any animal is horrible. I usually answered with a "what the hell is wrong with you" whenever I was asked. People can be really dumb sometimes.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Having a pet crow i can't count the number of times someone suggested i need to "split its tongue" so it could talk. I don't know where this myth came from but there are a lot of people who believe it. The idea of doing something like that to any animal is horrible. I usually answered with a "what the hell is wrong with you" whenever I was asked. People can be really dumb sometimes.

Really dumb, and a few split their own tongues! Seriously! Do a search for "split tongues" and prepare to be amused! :eek:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Re: The crazy cat lady!

I guess from the grapevine I'm told the lady has some mental issue....oh great, that's all I need a nut job on the loose in my area.

I'm pretty sure, in my neighborhood, that's what they say about me!

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
LOL Christmas party here at work today. I was introduced as the girl that has the Macaw. ( no one else has a fid ) One girl asked what is that I said you know one of those machines that cuts wood for you :) I think having a Fid gives you some strange type of humor not many can understand. Just ignore people like that

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)

That's a new one on me too...

Hmmm.... Maim my pet?! Sounds like good advice!

Sadly, some idiots out there probably believe this mindless drivel and try it...

I wonder how many animals are maimed as a result of ignorant comments like this. (That was a rhetorical question. I don't think I actually want to know. :eek: )

Most Reactions

Latest posts