Sound-Proofing Blanket/Curtain for the Rickeybird?

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
I am making a thread separate from the Rickeybird Scrapbook because this is a really special issue and I know that not everybody reads the Scrapbook. (WHAT, say the ol' Rb's followers!? Yes, my loves... not EVERYBODY can tolerate his antics!).

KEYWORDS - moving, noise, sound-proofing window, neighbors...
It is is time for downsizing. We absolutely must sell our spacious suburban sanctuary house and move to a smaller place. I have found a townhome.

His room will have one large window facing a quiet area of the development. I picked the best option possible (end-unit, spacious lawns, solid construction, pet/kids-friendly rules). We will be moving in mid-December. He is usually quiet from dusk until dawn. During the day, I'm hoping the ambient neighborhood noise will be good camouflage. I'm a homebody, so I'll be watching things. He does throw noisy fits at night, rarely, but sometimes. During the day, he sometimes has extended noise-fests (100 decibel plus).

My question... what's the best sound-proofing blanket? I want to have one handy, to use as a cage cover when needed. I might even hang it over the window sometimes. Got a brand name? Are they safe? Has anybody had experiences with other options?

Thanks!

imouse1

Oct 10, 2021
Media
NM
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure: Sir H. H. Gregg Q. T. Birb, III
IDK about sound-proofing blankets but I know that one of the recommendations I found when I was starting to gather materials for Gregg's cabinet cage was cork. Apparently, it is very sound-proofing and they use it a lot in flooring and walls because of that. Do you use any idea boards, by any chance? Maybe worth hanging a couple of boards up to soak up some of the sound (if you're allowed to). I kind of shied away from anything like blankets on the cage because what everyone was saying about impaction if the birdie buddies start chewing on it when you're not around / don't realize it. IDK if that helps but it might help to know if your baby likes to chew on any kind of fabrics?

OP
GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
Thank you, mouse, thank you!
And cork is natural, non-toxic...
I am going to look into constructing a cork-sumthin-sumthin... hey, may gluing/sewing cork to a blanket/whatever...
THANK YOU!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
you will have to let us know how the sound dampening goes.

I always sage a new place, to clear the energy. I feel like a weirdo , as I'm not really into all that stuff. But I am a big believer in sage. There is something to it imho. I'd even do it now wherever you are to help lighten the stress .

Wishing you happy new beginnings!

Emeral

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
Hanhs Macaw
More alternatives for your sound proofing project.......

Effective way to go about soundproofing a room is to identify the areas of weakness, start with them, and then work your way around the room......

Home is where the heart is.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Understand what you have before you begin selecting alternative means of sound-proofing. Windows, especially large surfaced units transfer sound. That said, Double-pane glass cut transfer of sound, which work in both directions. Construction over the last 15 - 20 years in townhouses and apartment houses include sound and fire reduction construction in all common walls.

As noted above, cork is a great natural product as a sound reduction.

With sound reduction, anytime a mid to heavy cloth is hung between the sound and a wall will reduce the sounds wave as it pass though it. Remember that ceils are a huge surface, which commonly works to bounce the sound wave. The traditional heavy cloth cage cover are excellent. Consider making one that each of the side section can be separately opened provides a great means of allowing ones noise box to see his Humans.

Have Fun! Lots of choices!

OP
GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
Laura, I'll do anything! What do you use for sage? I think any sort of consecration is good for claiming new places.

Emeral, thanks for all that, and also for the "Home is where the heart is" line. That's good. And true. A good thought for moving.

Mr. Boats, I just knew you and your engineering brain would have good thoughts. All noted. Now if you'd just drive over and help me move! Yeah, ceilings are an issue. A fantastic cage cover would help. Lots to think about.

Thanks, everybody. This is gonna be so STWESSSFUL!

imouse1

Oct 10, 2021
Media
NM
Parrots
Amazon has acoustic foam panels, pretty cheap. You could line the walls of his room. And maybe for screaming time attache to pre cut plywood that you can temporarily set in his windows
I thought we couldn't use plywood because of the glue?

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
So much story here.
1. Get a piece of rigid foam insulation. You can buy it new, or find leftover pieces on Craigslist/Marketplace/FreeCycle/Buy Nothing etc… cut it to the exact size of the window. You can cut it with drywall saw or score it with box cutter and snap it. Bracing the scored line with a board helps keep the break straight. If you cut it just right, you can gently wedge it into the window frame and it will hold itself in place. More sound will come through the wall than through the window with the foam installed.
2. Very good wall insulation can be made of egg cartons. The easiest thing is to get a big piece of cardboard, like from an appliance box - hardware stores might be able to help - and attach the egg cartons to that and then tack that up to the wall. If you had a place to work, spray glue would hold them but it would need some time to completely evaporate before you could bring it inside. Maybe could use a ton of hot glue? Use white glue, like cheap Elmers school glue, and let it dry well? That would make a very good soundproof panel that is light weight and easy to attach to the wall.
3. You could hang curtains in front of the egg carton boards and window. There are some decent inexpensive blackout curtains that are thick enough to tamp down light and noise. I’ll find a link. Or you could check the thrift stores for cheap duvets, comforters, blankets? How fancy does it have to be?

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon

imouse1

Oct 10, 2021
Media
NM
Parrots
So much story here.
1. Get a piece of rigid foam insulation. You can buy it new, or find leftover pieces on Craigslist/Marketplace/FreeCycle/Buy Nothing etc… cut it to the exact size of the window. You can cut it with drywall saw or score it with box cutter and snap it. Bracing the scored line with a board helps keep the break straight. If you cut it just right, you can gently wedge it into the window frame and it will hold itself in place. More sound will come through the wall than through the window with the foam installed.
2. Very good wall insulation can be made of egg cartons. The easiest thing is to get a big piece of cardboard, like from an appliance box - hardware stores might be able to help - and attach the egg cartons to that and then tack that up to the wall. If you had a place to work, spray glue would hold them but it would need some time to completely evaporate before you could bring it inside. Maybe could use a ton of hot glue? Use white glue, like cheap Elmers school glue, and let it dry well? That would make a very good soundproof panel that is light weight and easy to attach to the wall.
3. You could hang curtains in front of the egg carton boards and window. There are some decent inexpensive blackout curtains that are thick enough to tamp down light and noise. I’ll find a link. Or you could check the thrift stores for cheap duvets, comforters, blankets? How fancy does it have to be?
I'm not gonna lie, I really like that egg carton idea and I kind of want to make that for my door just as a climbing puzzle for Gregg with or without the need for soundproofing. There is so much possibility to have foraging using the cardboard cartons by keeping and cutting out some of the lid pieces to be flipped as tools, which could very easily allow for entertainment which would also keep noise down when it was out of boredom / frustration. Could really help with exercise, too.

And, honestly, if you're going to be doing something like that and depending on your budget, you could get a piece of unfinished wood to attach it to so that you wouldn't have to replace the whole wall or run afoul of any rental, REC, or other agreements. And with that, you could put random screw-in pegs for climbing and perching of different sizes and textures and/or to hang/attach toys. The possibilities are really endless for something like that! :love:

OP
GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
Thanks, everybody, so much.
Oh, wow, Kentuckienne, thanks for that link. That looks GOOD, and so cheap, too.
This is turning into a really good reference thread .
I'm glad I put "sound-proofing" in the title. Hopefully, peeps can find it in a search... I know this is a hot topic in the parrot world, fer sure!

OP
GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
I am also planning to use my so-called CHARM to smooth the Rb's neighborhood debut. We have an end-unit. I plan to deliver, preferably in person, but whatever, a little note to our next-door neighbor. My ol man, the Rb Rival, thinks I should just wait and see. I don't think so. I wanna be proactive.

Here's my draft. Am I nuts????

Hi!
My husband and I are your new neighbors... address #5110.
[names and phones included here]
Just in case you ever hear strange things...
We have a parrot. He is 37 years old. I've had him since I was in college, and I'm now retired. Sometimes he calls for help, cries like a baby, or makes other strange noises. Please don't be alarmed. He will quiet down as he gets used to his new house. Anytime he disturbs you, just let me know and I will cover his cage and silence him.
I want to be a good neighbor! I'll buy you candy or flowers or anything else in order to have a happy relationship, despite my disturbed little "child". :) lol
Thank you!

Gail

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Gail, as you know, moving is right up there for reasons people have to rehome their parrot. Even if it fine with the current neighbors and home owners assoc, a new neighbor or even a new board member who has it in for you can force one of the hardest life decisions around. I wish the RB, Rival and yourself the very best. Better than the very best !!
Sound control is one of the hardest things to exercise, especially in a residentialy constructed environment. Commercially constructed units can have very effective techniques and materials incorporated into them at the time of construction, which won't break the bank, and be safe environmentally and health-wise, but these are the exact opposite if added into or onto a unit designed for residential use. I've had my brushes with the problem, as I have a basement studio for recording and rehearsal for the various bands i've been in. I own my house so I had a high tolerance for adding and installing sound affecting materials. Your lease or HOG may have strict rules for altering the unit permanently.

I would recommend you contact a well recognized acoustic engineering or consulting group to have aN assesment or estimate given on what can be done, considering:
a) the kind of noise to be controlled (high screechy noise vs low rumbley noise
B) the construction materials, size and number of the room or rooms to be controlled
C) the desired amount of noise control vs what is possible vs the budget vs the permanence of the controls vs the environmental effects of materials, glues, adhesives on the RB. etc.

A good engineer will make sure you get the best most effective bang for the buck, least amount of impact on the lease and the safest conditions for the Rickster. I had that done and the stratigic placement of the right type and size of acoustic panels really cut down on the sound transmitted upstairs and laterally throughout my house (no downstairs,so that's something to be considered - floors are natural sound boards, acting like giant speaker cones).

Good luck and do your homework, it will pay off in the long run (just like considering getting a parrot).

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
I wouldn't add the covering his cage part but that's just me- with the world so crazy I think someone may feel that's abuse or not agree with you having a parrot and covering his cage may send them over board. Other wise I think you wrote a wonderful note and agree with being proactive! Wishing you a smooth move and that you have wonderful neighbors!!!

I recently saw an instragram post of someone who had their Macaw out and the majority comments were saying that owning a Parrot was abuse and those birds deserve to be in the wild and to have a captive parrot (Macaw) is animal abuse.

Last edited:

imouse1

Oct 10, 2021
Media
NM
Parrots
I am also planning to use my so-called CHARM to smooth the Rb's neighborhood debut. We have an end-unit. I plan to deliver, preferably in person, but whatever, a little note to our next-door neighbor. My ol man, the Rb Rival, thinks I should just wait and see. I don't think so. I wanna be proactive.

Here's my draft. Am I nuts????

Hi!
My husband and I are your new neighbors... address #5110.
[names and phones included here]
Just in case you ever hear strange things...
We have a parrot. He is 37 years old. I've had him since I was in college, and I'm now retired. Sometimes he calls for help, cries like a baby, or makes other strange noises. Please don't be alarmed. He will quiet down as he gets used to his new house. Anytime he disturbs you, just let me know and I will cover his cage and silence him.
I want to be a good neighbor! I'll buy you candy or flowers or anything else in order to have a happy relationship, despite my disturbed little "child". :) lol
Thank you!

Gail
I wouldn't offer to gift things, because it starts to seem transactional--"You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" idea.

I would change "I will cover his cage" to "I will do my best to help him transition!"

Let them know he's not usually like this but that it's to be expected because of the huge transition, and it could take some time.

Close with thanking them for their patience and understanding.

DO make sure your HOA / co-op / building manager is aware of the parrot so that if people start calling in complaints you've already taken care of it. BUT if you're not supposed to be having a parrot there, you need to (from a legal perspective) start thinking about getting him certified as an emotional support whatever to get him in as a waiver. It's also not good to advertise you have something other people can't have at that point, so make sure you have that settled before you start involving the neighbors. Because, uh, maybe what they're hearing is you listening to weird YouTube videos instead.

OP
GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
Thanks, yall, hanks.
Sorry I didn't reply sooner but I was... packing! What a pain.

Great advice on that covering issue, and wording.

Thanks, Al. I found a sound guru... owns Audimute Sound... very successful company, internet-busy but locally based. I visited with the guy, Mitch, and he is going to help me work things out. He deals mostly with musicians, but is an animal-lover (hehehe) and has helped a few bird parronts deal with stuff. I feel really good about him. I will start off with a door-noise-kit, a couple of serious sound barrier blankets for night... not usually an issue, but I want to be sure. We'll work with acoustic panels, etc., as needed.
If for any reason there is an insurmountable issue, no question... we'll move. I have a couple of emergency places to utilize if that becomes necessary.

Caring for the ol' Rb is something I have done pretty well so far., despite some astonishing challenges, let me tell you. I won't stop now, I promise.

You folks may have to hold my hand but... that's that.

Last edited:

Most Reactions