specializing a specialized diet

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Nah, check out her link. Apparently some of the stuff you listed, like bell peppers, are actually fruits though commonly believed to be veggies. But usually its the sugar content that is an issue with too many fruits, so I don't think the ones you have listed are a problem.

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
Okay thank God I already have enough flax I need to grind up. Ended up putting them in my food processor and it's doing... okay. Not sure how much of a difference a coffee grinder would make.

WOW, that's great! In my processor it just spins round & round ...ha :D
You must have a really good one? The coffee grinder turned into a fine powder, like a flour. Than I mix in into his chop.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I don't know what amount you are using of grains vs veggies vs fruits, so I can't say if it's too much or not, but I doubt it's an issue as long as you vary what foods you feed! :) I never make two batches the same. I may use some of the same base ingredients but other ingredients vary just depending on what I pick up at the store. I'm honestly not concerned that you are doing something wrong!

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
I keep fruit to a minimum and only ever put in a tiny amount of fruit. 1 peach and 1 small pack of raspberries vs a head of cauliflower and a head of broccoli, 2 cups of brown rice, 2 cups of red lentils, a 'bunch' of kale which was like 4 full leaves, a bag of soybeans which was may be a cup and a half (no pods, just the beans), 2 whole bell peppers (one yellow one orange, minus the seeds), 1 whole acorn squash (minus the guts + skin) 1 yam without skin,

note: these are rough estimates as I usually go by eye.

As for the chia, flax seeds, and oats I mixed that all together and left it out of the chop and sprinkle it in when serving. 1 lb of the flax and chia seeds and a 3-4 cups of oats. Usually use about a spoonful of the mix when serving.

I think I covered everything.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Sounds great! But why would you remove the pepper seeds?

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Sounds great! But why would you remove the pepper seeds?

When I first got Lincoln I wasn't entirely sure how to prepare a lot of the veggis and such and was under guidance of my parents and Google and they said to remove seeds. of course this would be serving to humans. At this point I was also hesitant on giving him any kind of seed because I knew high seed content isn't good for ekkies but I didn't know to what degree. Now it's just largely habit. Next chop I will probably leave them in.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
When people say don’t give seeds to ekkies, they are thinking more as the staple of the diet. And grain seeds too, millet and such.

Seeds have lots of great nutritional value when added sparingly. Don’t be afraid of giving them as treats every now and then. Pepper seeeds? Absolutely, let him have them. I’ll give Parker just that top with the seeds as a nice foraging opportunity.

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
I'll remember that next time I buy peppers. thank you!

Most Reactions

Latest posts