Split Cere

Candycorn

Sep 5, 2021
Parrots
Cockatiel
I was hoping someone could help me I think my cockatiel has a split cere... I brought him to the vet but they said because they was no active bleeding that they really couldn't do anything without sedating him and they didn't want to sedate him because he was stressed. Was an emergency hospital
20210905_133506.jpg

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep it clean and keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get infected. But it looks like a minor wound that should heal on its own. Do you know how it happened?

OP
C

Candycorn

Sep 5, 2021
Parrots
Cockatiel
I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep it clean and keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get infected. But it looks like a minor wound that should heal on its own. Do you know how it happened?
Yes he got his beak stuck between his bowl and the ring and panicked

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
If you can I would recommend getting a new ring and bowl that doesnt have a gap that the beak could get stuck in just to prevent future incidents

Noahs_Birds

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 24, 2019
Toowoomba/Highfields, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Yellow Sided GCC's, Rosa Bourkes Parrots, Full Red Fronted Turqoisine Parrots, Quaker Parrots 'Scomo PM' 'Jenny PM's wife', PLUS: Rare Finches, Doves and Quail
Looks like he's been flapping around and grazed his cere against the side of the cage, pretty common with smaller birds like cockatiels and always heals pretty quickly

Most Reactions