Spray paint?

Vilatus

Jul 17, 2017
Michigan
Parrots
One Quaker, Nico
Hi folks,

Just a quick question. Iā€™ve been using spray paint primer for my 3D prints, is it ok to be around my bird after Iā€™ve done this? Or do I need to change clothes? All spray painting is being done outside but I want to be safe.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Once the carrier dries on your clothing, the paint is no longer transferring to the air. Depending on how much paint your are applying,( how long you are spraying) and the conditions outside, (wind and temperature), the time for drying varies widely.

If the carrier is still off-gassing it is a problem around your Parrots. Safest measure would be to change clothing and leave the clothing you wore outside for an extended time, until the carrier is no longer off-gassing.

OP
Vilatus

Vilatus

Jul 17, 2017
Michigan
Parrots
One Quaker, Nico
Once the carrier dries on your clothing, the paint is no longer transferring to the air. Depending on how much paint your are applying,( how long you are spraying) and the conditions outside, (wind and temperature), the time for drying varies widely.

If the carrier is still off-gassing it is a problem around your Parrots. Safest measure would be to change clothing and leave the clothing you wore outside for an extended time, until the carrier is no longer off-gassing.
Good to know! Iā€™m only doing small amounts really, Iā€™m painting what equates to a miniature. (size of your palm in length and width, max) But I want to make sure Iā€™m not poisoning the baby after.

I really picked a bad pet to love when Iā€™m also a craft person šŸ˜…

Thank you as always for your insight ā¤ļø

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
This may surprise you, but there are a number of dogs and cats that die each year from coming in contact with their pets after working with a toxin and never make the connection. Young children can also be effected. It is just that Parrots are more sensitive.

OP
Vilatus

Vilatus

Jul 17, 2017
Michigan
Parrots
One Quaker, Nico
This may surprise you, but there are a number of dogs and cats that die each year from coming in contact with their pets after working with a toxin and never make the connection. Young children can also be effected. It is just that Parrots are more sensitive.
Iā€™ve heard of issues with Bengay and other topical products, but no, Iā€™ve never heard of that!

Pasterioss

Oct 13, 2022
LA
Change clothes and wash up after spray painting, just to be extra cautious. Also, if you're into other painting projects, you can find some handy tips on sealing acrylic paint with Mod Podge.

Most Reactions