Tallahassee, FL
Parrots
Squirrel-GCC (suspected male),
Alice- female cockatiel,
Beattle- male lineolated parakeet,
No name yet- female lineolated parakeet
Dingo- male American budgie,
Darwin- male English Budgie
This is the most adorable thing ever. When he's sleepy and cuddling with me, he reaches up and holds his face with a foot. Makes me melt. :07:
He also thoroughly enjoys being tickled on his back.

I'm still having trouble with step up though. :confused:

Green Cheeks are wonderful. Mine are 1.5 years old and 7 months old and every day I find something new they do. They are the most amazing creatures ever! Make sure you are putting your finger just in front of his feet and gently push up against his chest while saying step up. This should encourage him to step up onto your finger. Sorry if it sounded dumb, its just some people put the finger in front of the bird, never touching it, and say "step up". That bird would have no way of knowing whats expected.

Ah no, understandable. Yes, I do touch him. Then I try not touching him in case he doesn't like that. Then I try asking him to step up and not moving my hand in case he doesn't like the movement. Then I try a stick, nope doesn't like that either. My resulting technique is scooping him up with both hands so he has to step up on one of them. Doesn't seem to mind it too much, but I'd love to not have to use two hands. He's not hand shy otherwise. Enjoys snuggling with them, wrestling with them, chewing on them, perching on them as long as it was his idea, anything with hands BUT step-up he's ok with. Totally has left me confused. And yes, he does know it. Did it perfectly when I was hanging out with him to decided whether or not to buy him, little bugger. ;-)

That is soooooooooo cute. Would love to see a pic if you can ever get one.

Awww that sounds adorable. :] I love their cuddly nature.

Regarding stepping-up, I'd suggest holding your finger just above his feet and holding a treat with your other hand. He should follow the treat and step up. Always say the voice command, then once he's stepped up give him a treat.

Ah no, understandable. Yes, I do touch him. Then I try not touching him in case he doesn't like that. Then I try asking him to step up and not moving my hand in case he doesn't like the movement. Then I try a stick, nope doesn't like that either. My resulting technique is scooping him up with both hands so he has to step up on one of them. Doesn't seem to mind it too much, but I'd love to not have to use two hands. He's not hand shy otherwise. Enjoys snuggling with them, wrestling with them, chewing on them, perching on them as long as it was his idea, anything with hands BUT step-up he's ok with. Totally has left me confused. And yes, he does know it. Did it perfectly when I was hanging out with him to decided whether or not to buy him, little bugger. ;-)

Sounds like it will just take more time. Mine have begun to say "step up" when they want up with me. I love them to death. It results in one saying "step up" and then the other and then back and forth for for about 15 seconds. Adorable.

Mine have begun to say "step up" when they want up with me.
Aww I love it how they come up with their own little ways of asking for a ride! :D
Birdy does this to say 'Pick me up please!':

pickmeup.jpg

That is soooo cute! Squirrel is dozing in his cage at the moment, holding his head with a foot. :)

Mine have begun to say "step up" when they want up with me. I love them to death. It results in one saying "step up" and then the other and then back and forth for for about 15 seconds. Adorable.

That's hysterical and must be too cute for words to any justice to the real thing. I would love if Pritti would say that (or anything words for that matter, lol).

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back