Still having trouble with the quacker pair.

Didomum

Jul 9, 2012
Parrots
2 Quakers, 1 ring neck and 4 budgies. Baby Eclectus due sept 2012
Since we have had them there has been small steps forward but some back.
Been about month or more since we brought them home from the evil pet store. But because they paired up it so had to work with them. I was hoping to have them out of the cage by now at less, and I have had some moments with Flo she has been on my hand well mostly one leg but I'll take anything I can get. But Goerge will come over and start a fight with her to stop her. He not mean he just so scared, he will attack me just for changing their food out. I have thought of splitting them up but that just don't seem right to me. I know I would be able to tame Flo at less but to split the up just to make them like me better don't sound very nice. They are a wonderful couple and some people would say breed them but not sure if I want to do that, there are so many Quakers on the market do we really need more?
Oh and if your wondering how I know if they are male and female. Well it was pretty plan to see when we got them but we had DNA done anyway. Flo is a beautiful blue and George is a green with blue specks very healthy and very happy but I just would like to be more then the caregiver.
If anyone has advice please pass it on.

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
You could try housing them in separate cages, but allowing them to be together during their out-of-cage playtime. Not sure if that would help or not, but it did work for someone I know who also has two Quakers.

friedsoup

May 5, 2012
North Carolina
Parrots
Senegal Male Bogart
or you could just separate them while training her and let them keep sharing their cage That would be less invasive and maybe she will be the only one who is pet quality but when separated he attitude may change also like how cage aggressive parrots become the sweetest babies once removed from sight of their cage.

mrgoogls

May 6, 2012
Parrots
1 male Quaker-Cooper
train then seperatly like said above. but let them live together.

for taming, take it VERY slow. this you can do with them together. start by just sitting near the cage ad like watching TV and talking to them calmly. after they gt used to you being there start trying to give then little treats like almonds or sunflower seeds(not to many! lol) they you can open the cage and let them come on top if they want to. then SLOWLY reach your hand out. as soon as they look agressive, move back an inch or 2 and stay there until they calm down. once they are calm start moving again. everytime you get close give a treat(they should take it from your hand if you did the step before this) eventually you should be able to touch their feet. then move up there body and eventually to their heads. reward them every time you get closer. then once they are used to you teach "step up" ect.

every time let them come out on their own to the top. dont take them out of the cage. that can make them feel un safe. once they havve step up down on top of the cage, do it from the inside. once they do it inside, you can take them seperatly to perches away from the cage to learn more advanced tricks.

sorry for the long post. it was the only way i can think of to get the whole point across to you without leaving parts out. i hope this helps. remember, take it slow and ALWAYS eward good behavior. im going to just stop talking now...

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
I have two bonded conures... They are not interested in me, and not very tame... If I try and handle them they will bite...

So... I just leave them to it... They come out once a day, when I change their food and water.... They'll land on me, but I ignore it.. as soon as fresh food is served, they go back into their cage...

Most Reactions