Strange?? eating habit

yorkshiregal

May 26, 2014
Thousand Oaks, California
Parrots
Lolli pop A Pineapple GCC
Hi there, does anyone have a conure who dips his food in water before he eats it? mainly dry fruits, fresh fruit and pellets? When Lolli is in his cage he picks up a pellet, jumps across the cage to his water and dips it then eats it? his water is like a pellet soup in the morning.
He does it through the day with his meals and i find his small toys in there sometimes. Do you think its just his own quirky way of doing things?

It's perfectly normal, I would not be alarmed. If you are able to, change his water more. You can also add a second water bowl or a drinking bottle (making sure you train him to use it, but mind that it shouldn't replace the water bowl).

I have heard this is perfectly normal and done by lots of conures too. Our Tiki hasn't done this (yet) but he's still quite young, if that matters.

My severe macaw has started doing it recently,since I've changed her food...whatever I'm just glad she's eating and drinking water from her own container and not my cup ( well she still does that too )

Mochi the GCC doesn't dunk, but may sometimes drop food there. I have the Prevue Wrought Iron Signature Select series, the placement of the bins makes it somewhat unavoidable as Moch will sometimes drop pellet-crumbs if she is eating over her water dish (which is right next to the food bin).

Harley does that with any food he has. He will dip it in the water then drink the water off it. Dunk it again, drink more water. It's kinda funny. But completely normal.

Thank you, It's so funny to watch! I wasn't really worried, its more of a why the heck does he do that? He almost dunks his entire face to retrieve food he forgot about!!!
I change his water all the time of course. Glad he's not the only nutter around.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back