Strange nasal sounds at night – should I be concerned?

ludof

New member
Joined
Aug 24, 2026
Messages
2
Reaction score
2
Parrots
2
Hi everyone,
I have a 6-year-old male budgie with hepatomegaly. He is currently taking Hepato3 supplements and is on a low-fat diet.

The problem (assuming it actually is a problem, as I’m not sure) concerns some strange “nasal” sounds, or at least it seems to me that he is making them with his nose. They typically occur during the night. From what I’ve observed, he is awake when he makes them. They last for around 10–20 minutes, then stop and he goes back to being completely quiet.
I tried to record the sounds because they are difficult to describe in words. You can listen to the recording here: recorded audio

Frankly, I have no idea what this could be. Could it be some kind of problem with his nose? What I don’t understand, though, is why he only does it for a short period and then becomes quiet again.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be?
 

Attachments

Welcome to the forum! I listened to the audio clip and if it were me, I would have the vet check out your budgie. My Budgie has never made those noises but it is a weird noise. Good Luck.
 
Welcome! I have never heard any of my budgies make that sound. I have two thoughts: 1: it could be some sort of respiratory distress. 2: he is imitating a sound that he hears frequently ( rocking chair, squeaky screen door etc.). None of my budgies have been mimics, but my Quaker parrot imitates a lot of sounds and will often mumble sounds/words/phrases under his breath while falling asleep.
 
Thank you for feedbacks! I don't think is imitating any sound, it seems more a respiratory distress.
I’ll take him to the vet for a check-up, although he shows the problem only in specific moments, usually for 10-15 min at the night.
 
If he's only making it at night a good audio clip with would be great. Use cell phone to get a good length. It's so hard to describe sounds.
 
  • Like
Reactions: AMD
Back
Top Bottom