Stupid things People have said?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
If your bird talks about itself using it’s name and addresses you as “good bird” or occasionally “bad bird” you would know they recognize their names. I mean, really, people think dogs are smarter than parrots. Good grief. They need to meet some birds.

moxxiethecockatoo

Jul 20, 2022
Parrots
I have previously owned one cockatiel and two budgies. I currently own one sulphur crested cockatoo
According to this, most of my fids should be dead:confused:
Same with my too.
His bites don't even hurt much compared to some of the other stuff I've been through.
I once took a German Shepherd to the eye when I was 7 or 8, he tore the skin just right below my eye, if he'd gotten an inch higher with that bite I would have lost it.
I remember looking in the mirror crying and seeing the streaks of blood drip from near my eye.
It was a scary experience.

My mother had the same experience with the same exact dog breed when she was a kid, the dog almost bit through her optic nerve.

No animal bite can be as scary as that dog bite.

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
Just reminded one more...
"What kind of parrots live in Polish jungle?"
Lol, we have no jungle and no parrots here :LOL: But I understand this question because it was a small kid.

OP
foxgloveparrot

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Yesterday I shared my art of Rozalka on Discord and somebody asked if it's a turkey
Note: It was an avian server so don't think it wasn't a bird person.
A TURKEY? Seriously?

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
My grandma in-law is convinced that all birds bite aggressively and is always talking about how Ona is going to become a biter one day and just isn’t old enough for it yet. Little hard to hold my tongue sometimes.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I am glad I’m in my own apartment with Jasper because he’s trying to pick my nose and I know I would get some questions about that. “Yes, he’s trying to pick my nose. Why? Because he’s sure I’m hiding something wonderful in there.”

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I thought this would make a nice thread. Share anything stupid a non bird owner has said to you.
I’ve gotten…well, where do I even start? Here are some of them:
-“Nice parakeet” and “cool toucan” (about my zon)
-“Stop keeping them in cages” (while the birds literally fly around my entire house)
-“Why do you feed veggies, I thought those could kill them?”
-“What’s the difference between a macaw and parakeet?”
-“I think your bird is injured. What are those sticking out of its head?” (pin feathers)
-“Can you put a blanket on the cage or something? He’s SO LOUD”
Have fun, I’d love to hear what you have to say.
About my baby budgie Rocky before he grew feathers: "It's so ugly!" My response: "He says the same about you!"

After Rocky got all his feathers and started playing and interacting with me: "It's not a dog or a cat. Its just a dumb bird!" My response: "Actually, Rocky does most things puppies do, plus he can fly, too! Imagine a flying puppy!"

"I hate birds!"
My response: "That's funny, my bird just told me yesterday how much he hates you, too, so I guess its mutual!"

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
After a full year with this Thread, I am not one bit surprised at the level of stupidity of Humans and their willness to express it with such clarity!

We have a Double Yellow-Head Amazon and there is just no end to the stupid things people are willing to open their big mouth and say out loud. My general response is: Warning, he is prone to bitting people who makes such remarks as he loves to hear them scream in pain!!

OP
foxgloveparrot

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Lilla (senegal parrot)
About my baby budgie Rocky before he grew feathers: "It's so ugly!" My response: "He says the same about you!"

After Rocky got all his feathers and started playing and interacting with me: "It's not a dog or a cat. Its just a dumb bird!" My response: "Actually, Rocky does most things puppies do, plus he can fly, too! Imagine a flying puppy!"

"I hate birds!"
My response: "That's funny, my bird just told me yesterday how much he hates you, too, so I guess its mutual!"
I LOVE those responses! I might have to steal them from now on 😂
After a full year with this Thread, I am not one bit surprised at the level of stupidity of Humans and their willness to express it with such clarity!

We have a Double Yellow-Head Amazon and there is just no end to the stupid things people are willing to open their big mouth and say out loud. My general response is: Warning, he is prone to bitting people who makes such remarks as he loves to hear them scream in pain!!
Lol
But seriously, it's been a YEAR since I posted this? Wow.

OP
foxgloveparrot

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Yesterday I was quizzing my partner on parrot species
According to her,
Galah = pink birb idk
Yellow naped amazon = Jasper (I'm pretty sure she knows YNA though)
Fischer's lovebird = mango birb
Harlequin macaw = pretty pretty bird
Purple crowned lorikeet = it's cute
Patagonian conure = the eye looks like it's melting
Major mitchell's cockatoo = very pink
Bourke's parakeet = oOoO oOoO wAiT i KnOw ThIs OnE uMmMmM..... bOuRkE rIgHt?
Vernal hanging parrot = small

Last edited:

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020

"I hate birds!"

“If you can’t say anything nice, don’t say anything at all.”

The first and third comments above are a sure way to alienate those people you were hoping to teach about birds. It works better to deflect, as you did very well with the second comment. (A flying puppy!)

For example: “he’s so ugly!” How about, “All newborn babies are funny looking. In four weeks he’ll be covered with feathers and look like a real bird. Isn’t that cool?”

Saying “the bird hates you, too” is not going to change any opinions. While carrying my tame parrot, I’ve met several people who initially had bird phobias or said they didn’t like birds. I asked them why they didn’t like birds. I heard “I got a bird stuck in my hair” or “my sister’s bird used to attack me” or similar.

My response is “this bird can’t fly” or “that’s awful! I’d never let that happen. Where would you like me to stand? I can take him away if you like.” I have a couple friends who “hated birds” but are newly FINE around my birds because they know the bird won’t scare them. I wouldn’t allow that to happen. It would not be good advocacy for birds.

“Birds are dirty and loud!” “They can be.” But my bird is potty trained and I’m carrying napkins. He will “go” in the garbage can or in his basket. If he’s loud, I will take him home. I don’t like to be around badly behaved pets either.

This is how you turn around an objection or a statement meant to provoke. It’s hard to disagree if the other person tries to understand what you mean and agrees that “sometimes that’s true”.

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
Yesterday I was quizzing my partner on parrot species
According to them,
Galah = pink birb idk
Yellow naped amazon = Jasper (if you don't know, my YNA is named Jasper)
Fischer's lovebird = mango birb
Harlequin macaw = pretty pretty bird
Purple crowned lorikeet = it's cute
Patagonian conure = the eye looks like it's melting
Major mitchell's cockatoo = very pink
Bourke's parakeet = oOoO oOoO wAiT i KnOw ThIs OnE uMmMmM..... BOURKE RIGHT?
Vernal hanging parrot = small
This makes me want to do a similar experience 😝

I'm not surprised by the stupid stuff told by people either but...
Yesterday I shared my art of Rozalka on Discord and somebody asked if it's a turkey
Note: It was an avian server so don't think it wasn't a bird person.
I'm curious in which part she looks like a turkey...
Rozalka PL style.png

I understand that this person didn't know Bourkes because they are rare in US... but turkey? At least another person recognized the species so I guess I didn't make her unclear.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020

View attachment 47327
I understand that this person didn't know Bourkes because they are rare in US... but turkey? At least another person recognized the species so I guess I didn't make her unclear.
I really don’t understand how they came up with that. But this picture shows her in a different position. The other picture of her was very clearly a Bourkes parakeet.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I understand the being kind to stupid people. But, remember they opened their big mouths and confirmed it!
Julio comes in at a light 500 grams and to be stupid in front of a Bill his size (IMHO) really need a moment of clarity to wake them up.

Last edited:

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
“If you can’t say anything nice, don’t say anything at all.”

The first and third comments above are a sure way to alienate those people you were hoping to teach about birds. It works better to deflect, as you did very well with the second comment. (A flying puppy!)

For example: “he’s so ugly!” How about, “All newborn babies are funny looking. In four weeks he’ll be covered with feathers and look like a real bird. Isn’t that cool?”

Saying “the bird hates you, too” is not going to change any opinions. While carrying my tame parrot, I’ve met several people who initially had bird phobias or said they didn’t like birds. I asked them why they didn’t like birds. I heard “I got a bird stuck in my hair” or “my sister’s bird used to attack me” or similar.

My response is “this bird can’t fly” or “that’s awful! I’d never let that happen. Where would you like me to stand? I can take him away if you like.” I have a couple friends who “hated birds” but are newly FINE around my birds because they know the bird won’t scare them. I wouldn’t allow that to happen. It would not be good advocacy for birds.

“Birds are dirty and loud!” “They can be.” But my bird is potty trained and I’m carrying napkins. He will “go” in the garbage can or in his basket. If he’s loud, I will take him home. I don’t like to be around badly behaved pets either.

This is how you turn around an objection or a statement meant to provoke. It’s hard to disagree if the other person tries to understand what you mean and agrees that “sometimes that’s true”.
I never actually say any of the negative things to people- these are things I THINK and would say if I had no social graces! 😏

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.

View attachment 47327
She doesn't look like any Turkey I've ever seen and we have lots of them up here in the woods of Maine! I suspect that person doesn't even know what a Turkey looks like!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
1. "cAn It tALk?"
2. "Can I pick him up?" *while already trying to pick him up* (this one is from little kids)
3. "Oh, I/my sister/my friend used to have a parakeet."
Excuse me, but there is nothing stupid about "parakeets" aka Budgies, or saying that someone used to have one! Please apologize to my beloved Rocky BalBirden! His feelings are hurt!

Most Reactions