such a proud mummy

gemini84

Oct 27, 2012
north qld, Australia
Parrots
alexandrines : Oxy, Bruno, prince (was princess)
oh my, my beautiful baby is trying to talk :D its soooo cute.
i got oxy 2 weeks ago and he is only 13 weeks old.
i only work 2 days a week and only for about 4hrs due to an injury so i spend alot of time with my little baby and even when he is in his room chillin i amalways talking to him.
he started his chattering last week and i thought i was going crazy, i know he is too young. now im sitting here watchin tele and he on his cage in his room just chattering away.
nothing is clear yet, just alot of chattering mumbling sounds but im soo proud.
i do believe he is trying to say "hello beautiful" as i had just said it to him the first time he tried and im always saying it to him.
so now no matter what im doing when he starts chattering i repeat that or "hello oxy" over and over again and when i stop he cracks it at me.

i'm such a proud mummy, cant wait till he says his first word clearly.

also today we had flying lessons, he could fly when i bought him but not well as his breeders clipped his wings to early and he has no muscle developed on his chest. his wings have grown back quite well in the last 2 weeks and he can now land pretty well, has some steering control and is getting lift also. last week he managed to fly/ glide about 2meters in a downward direction, today he flew about 10m and landed on his cage above the height which he started.

Gingerchezy

Jul 21, 2012
England
Parrots
GCC: Chewie
Aww :-D its amazing how quickly they learn things. I'm glad i'm not the only one that is surprised almost daily by how clever and awesome my little parrot is :) Chewie is 6months old today and i'm pretty sure she was saying 'hello' over and over the other day when I answered my phone! :)

OP
gemini84

gemini84

Oct 27, 2012
north qld, Australia
Parrots
they are an amazing bird, my last alex phoenix (found a mate and left home ;() always suprised me. i got her from a pet shop at about 1yr old. she was hand reared but as she didnt sell she was neglected on the attention side and reverted. she was never tame enough to handle and was very territorial over her cage but so intelligent. she was a very noisy girl but i was blessed as she was in routine from pet shop and only made noise between 9 and 5. she actually got out one morning but come 5pm she came home and went to bed. after that i was happy to let her fly free. she also picked up a few phrases with out intentional teaching which shocked me.
oh and you heard the whole theory that if you have they have to have it? phoenix would see me drinking jimbeam cans and after awhile i would pick up a can to have the contents dribble down my chest or i would find her with an empty can in her beak trying to get the dregs out. it got that bad that i couldnit leave my can unattended that i had to change drinks.
i have a similar issue now with oxy, if he is in the lounge with me and im holding my coffee cup i find him trying to get some, but the biggest one is my mobile. if he can see it, he wants it.
im so glad i have a tablet pc now and not a laptop or pc as my phoenix and kia (my irn also left home) chewed all my keys.

gotta love our birds

OP
gemini84

gemini84

Oct 27, 2012
north qld, Australia
Parrots
so many big steps the last couple of days:D
sitting in the lounge just now i hear flapping go past my ear, i look up just in time to see my baby smack into the window. So glad that it was the front one as i have no screens on my windows and those stay closed. So glad he is feeling comfortable enough to leave his room on his own accord, but now i going to have to alot more mindful as i leave his door open when ever i/ or my partner is in lounge room with a barricade to prevent the cat getting in there.

oh the joys of owning mortal enemies, but i guess it cant be much worse then me and my sister growing up:p

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
Pepsi and sprite, both are American male budgies
Lol, exactly ! You must be very proud of him , he learned so much and he's so young !

loishuffman

Nov 6, 2012
Florida
Parrots
I have two birds:
One female parrolet, Bonnie
one Red Bellied Conure
Young but smart and happy ...how sweet to hear that he is starting to be a chatterbox! When they are in the mood, relaxed & happy is when they start. My girl sends me messages when I have the shower on or just running the water. I swear she says something, but female parrolets are not known to talk!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Congrats!!!! Yes they can learn to talk at a early age. My sweet cracker the Quaker started talking at 5 weeks old while I was still handfeeding him. He really surprised me when he said hello to me for the very first time. He was killed by one of the dogs I rescued 5 years ago....he was only 7 years old......

Most Reactions

Latest posts