Sudden Loss - Trying to figure out cause

Therainbowfamily

May 16, 2020
I am here to report back from over a year ago on our new cockatiel death after a few weeks in our home. We ended up having a necropsy done because we were so freaked out about it and didn't want to make the same mistake going forward. What we learned was that the bird starved to death. The bird appeared to be eating just fine. The vet said that the bird could have been sick and just pretended to eat to cover its sickness. But, I have realized that it also could have been that we didn't change her food out often enough and she had eaten out all of the things she recognized as food.

Over a year later, different breeder and different mix of food, we now have a cockatiel and a green cheek conure. Both eat the same mix of food. We had just been throwing out a lot of the leftover food now for fear of the same thing happening, making sure their bowls always had new food. After a tip from someone, I took out their bowls one day and poured them each onto a paper plate. I was absolutely amazed by the difference in what I saw. One eats entirely different things from the mix than the other does. We started mixing these together at their communal hang-out spot where they also now get lots of fresh veggies and fruits, etc, and now regularly refill their separate bowls every 2-3 days with fresh food.

I have no doubt that all of you experienced people already knew of this possibility, but I am updating more for the newbie still trying to figure it all out.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Good to see you have returned!

Excellent Point regarding double checking what they are in fact eating. We have also learned to reduce the amount provided and switching it out with fresh multiple times during the day.

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
It is important to share our hard lessons. They can help many.

A digital kitchen scale and weigh birds weekly. More than 3% loss seek veterinarian care.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Thank you for sharing a heartbreaking loss. Some birds are extremely picky eaters. Very difficult when they are neat and tidy, consume seeds and drop shells into food bowl. Can give the appearance of eating very little as the volume reduces very slowly.

Most Reactions