Suggestions on new bird.

Cheeze

Apr 24, 2020
Currently I own a lovebird just over one year, I got him when ha was 7 months, he’s quite nippy and stubborn. Lately I have been thinking to get another bird, i’m looking to get an affectionate bird, Who is talkative but not extremely loud. I have been thinking about getting a Sun Conure or an Indian ringneck. And I am aware sun conures can be very loud and Indian Ringnecks prefer to be kept alone. So I am quite confused on which one I should get. When I first got my lovebird I wasn’t planning on getting another bird but my interest has grown. looking to get a medium size bird who can get along with my current lovebird, and as I said preferably talkative and affectionate. Would love to hear your suggestions. ❤️

Stella04

Apr 24, 2020
I don’t think a sun conure would suit you, most are very loud, and not the best at talking. Also it’s not a for sure the bird is going to talk and be friendly. You should try a bird rescue so you can meet the bird before hand, to see if you two get along.

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
I’m not sure that either option would suit what you are looking for. Suns are by nature, generally loud (there are exceptions, but it’s not the norm and they don’t have much for talking skills. IRNs are not known for being affectionate, so I don’t know that it’s a good fit either. What about spending some time working with your lovie and building a relationship with him? It doesn’t sound like you’ve had him that long and they can make great companions if you take the time to build a bond with them.

I can tell you from experience that there’s no guarantee that any two birds will get along, and particularly across species that can be an issue.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
So, "affectionate" is no good in terms of hormones. An "affectionate" bird that you can snuggle etc is not healthy. It is a sign of confusion in the whole bird-mate-human dynamic. Yes, some birds seek cuddles, but indulging that will create a monster w/ behavioral issues....So, as always...head and neck petting only (no matter the species) and no dark spaces...no "snuggling"
On top of that, you already have a bird and trying to mix birds is hazardous--not only for your relationship, but also from a health perspective.
If they could never be out at the same time, would you have the time to provide each w/ separate socialization/out-of-cage time? Do you have the space (and changes of clothing) to effectively quarantine a new bird?
Furthermore, any "baby" will be sweet, until puberty hits. At sexual maturity, birds often push away and show new behavioral issues (like teens) this isn't the time to give up, but to re-build trust etc. A new bird will not erase the problems you perceive with your old---it will likely just add to them.

Last edited:

Most Reactions