Sunflower seeds

azflcowboy

Oct 20, 2022
Parrots
Solomon Island Eclectus (Male)
Hello
I buy 20 pound bags of sunflower seeds for the local squirrels.
I like to keep Moses occupied as he is very very curious and anxious to investigate new food and things.
I read that 10 or 12 sunflower seeds a day would be good for our Solomon Island Eclectus.
I am concerned that bulks seeds could be hazardous to the ecky.
Any suggestions.
I was going to wash them in cold running water.
what do you think?
Thank you
Larry azflcowboy

Attachments

• IMG_2023-10-13-14-41-26-772.jpg
    IMG_2023-10-13-14-41-26-772.jpg
    319.9 KB · Views: 19

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Moses is very cute. I give my Ekkie seed/nuts as treats only. He really enjoys pine nuts, cashews, and almonds. Those are probably his favorite.

OP
azflcowboy

azflcowboy

Oct 20, 2022
Parrots
Totally a question of if they’ve beeen treated in any way with added additives. If not, sure, share a few.
I agree with your reply. I know they would be ok to give sunflower seed in the sheel. I wonder if they should be washed or cleaned. Any suggestions as the large bulk sunflower seeds for the yard bird etc are not that clean i do not think.
thank you

Talaya

Apr 26, 2022
Media
Parrots
Han Solo - SI Male Eclectus
The problem here in UK is animal feeds are not stored in the same way as foods for human consumption. So there’s always a possibility that they could have various mould spores on or rodent urine Etc. I wash Them myself, but you could roast them too for a few min.

OP
azflcowboy

azflcowboy

Oct 20, 2022
Parrots
The problem here in UK is animal feeds are not stored in the same way as foods for human consumption. So there’s always a possibility that they could have various mould spores on or rodent urine Etc. I wash Them myself, but you could roast them too for a few min.
Hello and thank you for your advice.
the feed in america is probably the same as well as the raw peanuts i give to the local squirrels.
i like that idea of washing and then roasting a few sunflower seeds.
i think it is important to keep Moses (solomon island eclectus) interested in things:) He is so smart and loving. I must remember not to cuddle with him becasue his feathers i amm told have a self producing oit that heep them so shiny:)
Are there many solomon island eclectus in the UK, my cousins live in York and Norwich
Thank you and God Bless
Larry azflcowboy

Attachments

• 20211029_075613.jpg
    20211029_075613.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 7

WingDing

Nov 13, 2017
Media
Texas
Parrots
Toby - RS Eclectus
Midori - Nanday Conure
I wouldn't trust the quality control of wild bird food. Also, sunflower seeds contain so much fat. Not good for Eclectus. Toby's blood work showed how cholesterol, even though his diet is primarily veggies, a little low-sugar fruit. He gets just a little bit of almond slivers for training and a teaspoon of seeds in his foraging toys.

I do buy Versele-Laga Goldenfeast Indonesia mix for foraging. It has some sunflower seeds in it, but dried fruit and nuts. It is expensive but one bag it lasts many months considering how little Toby gets. I keep it in the freezer.

OP
azflcowboy

azflcowboy

Oct 20, 2022
Parrots
I wouldn't trust the quality control of wild bird food. Also, sunflower seeds contain so much fat. Not good for Eclectus. Toby's blood work showed how cholesterol, even though his diet is primarily veggies, a little low-sugar fruit. He gets just a little bit of almond slivers for training and a teaspoon of seeds in his foraging toys.

I do buy Versele-Laga Goldenfeast Indonesia mix for foraging. It has some sunflower seeds in it, but dried fruit and nuts. It is expensive but one bag it lasts many months considering how little Toby gets. I keep it in the freezer.
Hello Wing Ding, you and I share the same thought about our Ecky (my Moses) i am going to pass on giving Moses any sunflower seeds. I will check out the Versele-Laga Goldenfeast mix:) i also do blood work once a year for Moses. I went to 2 other vets and they both traumatized Moses for a few after they insuccessfully tried to get enough blood from Moses neck:( Now i have a vet that gives Moses a little gas and he is fine for the blood removal:) i also noticed he has not been talking much the past few days I wonder if it is hormonal or because of the time change (getting darker earlier and dark in the am as well? thank you and please keep us posted of any other thoughts or advice:)
I was also told recently not to pet our eckies as they emit a fine normal oil and petting could remove that oil and that is not good:(
Stay well and God Bless
Larry azflcowboy

Attachments

• 20211029_075613.jpg
    20211029_075613.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 4

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Moses is very cute. I give my Ekkie seed/nuts as treats only. He really enjoys pine nuts, cashews, and almonds. Those are probably his favorite.

I fully agree that one is much further head to offer a high-quality, Human Grade nut to an Ekkie.

It is so important to remember that Moses comes from a region in which the soil is weak and as a result, they can be easy overloaded, especially with protein. Sunflower Seed is heavy in protein and including them as part of even a treat would not be recommended.

OP
azflcowboy

azflcowboy

Oct 20, 2022
Parrots
I fully agree that one is much further head to offer a high-quality, Human Grade nut to an Ekkie.

It is so important to remember that Moses comes from a region in which the soil is weak and as a result, they can be easy overloaded, especially with protein. Sunflower Seed is heavy in protein and including them as part of even a treat would not be recommended.
Hello and Thank you I Would agree with you on this topic:)
Larry azflacowboy

Most Reactions