flyingfluff

Feb 1, 2008
Media
North Carolina
Parrots
2 budgies (Coco & Buddy)
2 cockatiels (Willow & Zoe)
2 green cheeks (Scooter & Kiwi)
aww, your new babies are so so cute! And I'm glad to hear that they are doing well.

OP
nimuemerlin

nimuemerlin

Mar 5, 2008
Media
North of the Golden Gate
Parrots
Polita, sun conure hen
Sunny, sun conure ****
Re: Charlotte & Wilbur

The chicks at almost 4 weeks. Check the photo gallery. They are doing fine, but Polita needs a rest. We start feeding them today.

OP
nimuemerlin

nimuemerlin

Mar 5, 2008
Media
North of the Golden Gate
Parrots
Polita, sun conure hen
Sunny, sun conure ****

We've started feeding the chicks, but we have left them in the nesting box with Sunny and Polita. I am hoping that Polita will not go into nesting mode again very soon as long as she is still caring for these two. Polita is still feeding them, but we just give her a break by feeding them ourselves a couple of times a day. Both birds already have a home when they are weaned. Two of my neighbors want one each. These ladies have been coming over to interact with the chicks and I think all four will be very happy. We are having fun with this clutch also.

OP
nimuemerlin

nimuemerlin

Mar 5, 2008
Media
North of the Golden Gate
Parrots
Polita, sun conure hen
Sunny, sun conure ****
Re: Charlotte

Charlotte took her first short flight yesterday. I promptly clipped her wings to slow her down a bit. Today she crawled out of the nesting box onto a perch in the main cage. She was a bit unsteady on her feet and soon fell to the bottom of the cage. Sunny got down with her and helped and encouraged her till she climbed up the bars back on the perch and then quickly back to the nesting box. A very short exploration out of the nesting box, but she is branching out. Wilbur has attempted no such feats so far. He is two days younger, after all. The chicks are coming along.

flyingfluff

Feb 1, 2008
Media
North Carolina
Parrots
2 budgies (Coco & Buddy)
2 cockatiels (Willow & Zoe)
2 green cheeks (Scooter & Kiwi)
May I ask why you clipped her already? It's a lot better for each bird to leave them unclipped and let them learn to fly first before they are clipped. Learning how to fledge is one of the most important steps for a bird. It gives them the confidence they need the rest of their life and improves their ability to learn. None-the-less, it's already over and done with.

I am glad the babies are doing well and getting more and more curious. It's got to be amazing to watch these two grow up and start looking more and more like birds and less like aliens.

OP
nimuemerlin

nimuemerlin

Mar 5, 2008
Media
North of the Golden Gate
Parrots
Polita, sun conure hen
Sunny, sun conure ****

Wilbur followed Charlotte out of the box yesterday evening. They were both soon at the bottom of the cage nibbling on pellets. Charlotte got back in the box on her own for the night, but Merlin had to help Wilbur back in. I'm sure Wilbur will start to figure it out more as time goes on. I took pix yesterday of the chicks and will post them soon. They are really changing.

OP
nimuemerlin

nimuemerlin

Mar 5, 2008
Media
North of the Golden Gate
Parrots
Polita, sun conure hen
Sunny, sun conure ****

I went with my friend over the weekend to get a good used cage for Charlotte when my friend takes her home. We bought a good cage from a woman who amazed me in the way she could kill her birds. She killed the one that used to live in the cage we bought with the fumes from cookware. Another she killed because she put kitty litter in the bottom of her bird cage. I only mention this to warn anyone who, like this poor woman, doesn't know that birds are very sensitive to fumes, scents and scented stuff. The woman was heart broken and learned her bird lessons the very hard way. Our birds are a big responsibility and we owe it to them to be as informed about their care as we can possibly be. Anyone frequenting this site is on the right track. Informing ourselves about our birds is a life long process.

Last edited:
OP
nimuemerlin

nimuemerlin

Mar 5, 2008
Media
North of the Golden Gate
Parrots
Polita, sun conure hen
Sunny, sun conure ****
Re: Beauty & Wilbur

My neighbor decided that she wanted to change Charlotte's name to Beauty. So now she is known as Beauty. We had them DNA sexed and they are both males. Now my neighbor wants both of them. Wilbur's name has been changed to Gorgeous George. Beauty and Gorgeous. There you have it. They are ready to go and will be going soon. They are both darling and their names fit well. I hate to say it, but Polita is hanging low in the cargo area again. And away we go!

OP
nimuemerlin

nimuemerlin

Mar 5, 2008
Media
North of the Golden Gate
Parrots
Polita, sun conure hen
Sunny, sun conure ****
Both Charlotte/Beauty and Wilbur/Gorgeous have gone home with my neighbor, however, we have them this week while she is out of town. We've enjoyed having them so much. Sunny seems to enjoy them also. Polita, of course, is sitting on a new clutch of eggs and can't be bothered. I am glad to say that these eggs are infertile. We'll just let her sit on them till she gets bored with them or else she'll just lay more eggs. I've uploaded to the photo gallery pix of Bobbie/Kenzie and his new person. It looks like they are in deep love.

Question: Does anyone know if clutch mates will breed together at adulthood, if they are in the same cage? I heard that they will reject each other, but don't know how reliable my info is.

OP
nimuemerlin

nimuemerlin

Mar 5, 2008
Media
North of the Golden Gate
Parrots
Polita, sun conure hen
Sunny, sun conure ****
Little Nebekenezer was hatched on 1-26, the only chick out of a clutch of 4 eggs. His photos are posted and he is doing fine. I'll keep you posted on his progress.

Most Reactions