Super aggressive hormonal male

Bogie's Mom

Aug 22, 2021
Media
Parrots
Mccaw
Im sorry. Its really all I can say and have been saying. I am more than over my head. Its my boy Bogie. Hes a macaw and he is aggressive anyways causing regular injuries but now during hormonal season he is dangerous. I mean it hits like a bomb and it isn't if he injures me but when. Not being funny here...its like the relationships I've been in where abuse is part of the relationship and the degree is how much I satisfy his Rollercoaster of emotions...inse use, jealous, frustrated, just ornery n mean to me bc I'm not going anywhere....I get bit all the time. I think it's the opportunity cost of being a macaw owner. But this year like every year his hormonal time came...usually the end of January. But like every year he gets me good...usually a stitch or two...today he almost took my finger off...I felt the grinding on my bone....I never reacted. I surprised myself...I just kept whispering ouch ouch as I tried to loosen his beak at his nose area...then tried hid head area tugging little pulls as I held around his ears...then I did hold around his neck...not tight just to keep tugging....he kept grinding into my finger bone eyes dilated...then I held him like a football bent over tugging n tugging...I think the only reason he let go was bc I got closer to the floor. Then my little love, my joy, my purpose....he raised his wi gs at me lowered his head, dilated his eyes and went after me again. Im sorry. Blood was everywhere. My lab was right near me. So I reached over n grabbed him by his chunky but check area n carried him upside-down into his cage. Yes...by his but cheeks n tail...im sorry....so here I am now...finger blue, icing it, blood everwhere....one finger typing....crying my eyes out with nobody to talk to and reaching out to you. H e l p ! My thoughts...time to rehome....time to put down...time to sick him in the corner n feed/water....these are all thoughts that sicken me. So all I can do is reach out. H e l p.... I don't know what else to do....hes screaming now for no reason. I darkened the room...covered the cage side...pulled the blinds. Im reading about fresh veggies n no sweets carbs or warm foods...but its really bad. Shot???? Hes a male. Im at a loss and I've failed him. Its my fault. Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230105-201638_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230105-201638_Gallery.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 46

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
There is no question as to the level of nightmare one of the Large Parrots can inflict when the hormones are flowing near or at 100%. Understand that it is all chemical and not personal. You are simply in the wrong place at the wrong time.
This year has been a nightmare for a vast number of Parrot owners across North America. The ER's a busy will Human on Human things, plus Parrot on Human things! Get your finger looked at even if you have to leave a bloody mess for a day. Yes, it makes it hard to clean-up, but a loss of a finger is more of a pain, pun not intended.
This Winters Weather has not help as with each strong storm our Weather has been all over the play, which screws with their Hormonal Product rate and you are seeing the result.
What to do starting tomorrow:
- His sleep schedule is that of the Sun, if it is dark 14+ hours a day, he sleeps 14+ hours. That means the house is silent as well.
-As you had implied, the Sugars, etc. are 100% out of his diet. Hormonal is bad enough, their being on a Sugar high is deadly.
- Spend more time evaluating his state as you approach him. Assure that there is zero signs of being anything, but relaxed.

Very sorry that you have been the target of an all out Hormonal Rage! With hope other people will read this with hope pay more attention to the 'State of their Parrot' before getting up close and personal.

Note, that multiple Mac's can feed-off each other and work to wind-them-up as part of Hormonal Rush! You really need to be watching all of them as some are better at hiding their State of Mind than others. If you have a Drama Queen in your group use that one as a quick check of your group.

May you heal well, and Huge Amazon Feather Hugs your way!!

OP
B

Bogie's Mom

Aug 22, 2021
Media
Parrots
Mccaw
Im sorry. Its really all I can say and have been saying. I am more than over my head. Its my boy Bogie. Hes a macaw and he is aggressive anyways causing regular injuries but now during hormonal season he is dangerous. I mean it hits like a bomb and it isn't if he injures me but when. Not being funny here...its like the relationships I've been in where abuse is part of the relationship and the degree is how much I satisfy his Rollercoaster of emotions...inse use, jealous, frustrated, just ornery n mean to me bc I'm not going anywhere....I get bit all the time. I think it's the opportunity cost of being a macaw owner. But this year like every year his hormonal time came...usually the end of January. But like every year he gets me good...usually a stitch or two...today he almost took my finger off...I felt the grinding on my bone....I never reacted. I surprised myself...I just kept whispering ouch ouch as I tried to loosen his beak at his nose area...then tried hid head area tugging little pulls as I held around his ears...then I did hold around his neck...not tight just to keep tugging....he kept grinding into my finger bone eyes dilated...then I held him like a football bent over tugging n tugging...I think the only reason he let go was bc I got closer to the floor. Then my little love, my joy, my purpose....he raised his wi gs at me lowered his head, dilated his eyes and went after me again. Im sorry. Blood was everywhere. My lab was right near me. So I reached over n grabbed him by his chunky but check area n carried him upside-down into his cage. Yes...by his but cheeks n tail...im sorry....so here I am now...finger blue, icing it, blood everwhere....one finger typing....crying my eyes out with nobody to talk to and reaching out to you. H e l p ! My thoughts...time to rehome....time to put down...time to sick him in the corner n feed/water....these are all thoughts that sicken me. So all I can do is reach out. H e l p.... I don't know what else to do....hes screaming now for no reason. I darkened the room...covered the cage side...pulled the blinds. Im reading about fresh veggies n no sweets carbs or warm foods...but its really bad. Shot???? Hes a male. Im at a loss and I've failed him. Its my fault. Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There is no question as to the level of nightmare one of the Large Parrots can inflict when the hormones are flowing near or at 100%. Understand that it is all chemical and not personal. You are simply in the wrong place at the wrong time.
This year has been a nightmare for a vast number of Parrot owners across North America. The ER's a busy will Human on Human things, plus Parrot on Human things! Get your finger looked at even if you have to leave a bloody mess for a day. Yes, it makes it hard to clean-up, but a loss of a finger is more of a pain, pun not intended.
This Winters Weather has not help as with each strong storm our Weather has been all over the play, which screws with their Hormonal Product rate and you are seeing the result.
What to do starting tomorrow:
- His sleep schedule is that of the Sun, if it is dark 14+ hours a day, he sleeps 14+ hours. That means the house is silent as well.
-As you had implied, the Sugars, etc. are 100% out of his diet. Hormonal is bad enough, their being on a Sugar high is deadly.
- Spend more time evaluating his state as you approach him. Assure that there is zero signs of being anything, but relaxed.

Very sorry that you have been the target of an all out Hormonal Rage! With hope other people will read this with hope pay more attention to the 'State of their Parrot' before getting up close and personal.

Note, that multiple Mac's can feed-off each other and work to wind-them-up as part of Hormonal Rush! You really need to be watching all of them as some are better at hiding their State of Mind than others. If you have a Drama Queen in your group use that one as a quick check of your group.

May you heal well, and Huge Amazon Feather Hugs your way!!
Thank you. I guess I'll just keep him in his cage for a few days then short out of cage visits on his daytime tree. No sweets or carbs...just pellets nut mix and fresh cool veggies. Ill follow the sunset too. Hes going to be bored. But too bad I guess. Im afraid of him. I just am now. Im hoping the couple days w help. But its more than fear its I just don't trust him now and what a horrible feeling when I just adore him so much. I thought I wasn't doing too bad w not trying to initiate hormone rages but I guess they just rage on. Im thinking of getting him the shot. But first ill try this stuff. I just have him n my cockatoo n two old dogs. So he's already insanely jealous over Geno. Like really bad...Bogie is first on everything or he'll bite me...then he freaks if I do anything toward Geno. I did hold Geno this am so maybe thst was the frosting on the cake. I guess I'm at that point where I'm wondering if I am a good enough mom for him. My whole house is focused on him...$1000 night cage, I removed my table n made a bird wall w toys n.perches n where he is during the day n breakfast n supper. I shop him first n clean all the time. But maybe in the end im just not the macaw mom I guessed I was. Hes suffering somehow to have this aggressive hate pinned eye pokey feathers spiked on his head look. I know he'd attack me if I would open the door. I know he's a wild animal and special needs. The little kisses n hug id sneak in I knew I was playing the get bit game but this is alarming. Im so sad...I feel I let him down....that I caused a sort of damage. I planned on the rest of my life but I think I'm not capable and too ignorant. I'll follow your advice. Im hoping. But I know the horror stories of how these birds end up and I am so afraid. Im at a loss

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
This is NOT your fault.

I've known another macaw owner whose male was super aggressive during hormone times, and there's no getting around how scary it is when your boy who is so sweet the rest of the year is now trying to hurt you.

Like SailBoat said, Bogie can't help it, which is the worst part for both of you.

SailBoat has great advice and he has experience with hormonal parrots.

Is there anything you can give him without having to touch him, as a distraction? Any favorite toys? Are there certain times of day or any pattern that you see to when he starts biting? Certain times of day where he's consistently gentle? If there are still, for example, three hours every morning where he's calm, maybe make sure he's out with you then so that if he starts getting amped up you can give him a break in his cage?

I have almost zero experience with macaws but I think most of us here have been through a situation at some point with our birds where we are overwhelmed and don't know next steps. ❤️

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Oops I posted at the same time as you - you ARE a great macaw mom! Some of them just are like this during mating time and it's awful.

I think your observation that he's jealous is a really good observation. You could have Bogie out for a while in the morning, then put away before Geno spends time with you.

Your macaw wall description is one of the coolest things I've read here! Bogie is going to have hormones every year no matter who he lives with, but you both truly love each other even if his body is making him do crazy things right now.

It would be really hard to stay neutral and rebuild trust, I get that. But this will pass.

If he has toys he likes that you could rotate in his cage, I wouldn't think it would be too harmful for him to get more cage time than normal?

I'm sorry you are going through this.

OP
B

Bogie's Mom

Aug 22, 2021
Media
Parrots
Mccaw
This is NOT your fault.

I've known another macaw owner whose male was super aggressive during hormone times, and there's no getting around how scary it is when your boy who is so sweet the rest of the year is now trying to hurt you.

Like SailBoat said, Bogie can't help it, which is the worst part for both of you.

SailBoat has great advice and he has experience with hormonal parrots.

Is there anything you can give him without having to touch him, as a distraction? Any favorite toys? Are there certain times of day or any pattern that you see to when he starts biting? Certain times of day where he's consistently gentle? If there are still, for example, three hours every morning where he's calm, maybe make sure he's out with you then so that if he starts getting amped up you can give him a break in his cage?

I have almost zero experience with macaws but I think most of us here have been through a situation at some point with our birds where we are overwhelmed and don't know next steps. ❤️
Thank you. Noo....hes not consistent. He likes toys but not focused. He's more my house travel buddy so he likes to do things like vacuum laundry get the mail. Hes not intimidated at all by me so the lack of biting is strictly his choice. They were always warning bites or piches...this is very dangerous. I did pet Geno this am. So maybe that got him livid...but omg...suck a focus of attack...like alarming. Ill do the things suggested. I hope my fear and stuff goes away. I hope we can live w each other and work this out. Im just miserable and feel totally inept. Thank you for your help.

OP
B

Bogie's Mom

Aug 22, 2021
Media
Parrots
Mccaw
Oops I posted at the same time as you - you ARE a great macaw mom! Some of them just are like this during mating time and it's awful.

I think your observation that he's jealous is a really good observation. You could have Bogie out for a while in the morning, then put away before Geno spends time with you.

Your macaw wall description is one of the coolest things I've read here! Bogie is going to have hormones every year no matter who he lives with, but you both truly love each other even if his body is making him do crazy things right now.

It would be really hard to stay neutral and rebuild trust, I get that. But this will pass.

If he has toys he likes that you could rotate in his cage, I wouldn't think it would be too harmful for him to get more cage time than normal?

I'm sorry you are going through this.
Thank you again.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I know what its like to both have an angry, hormonal large(r) parrot decide to give what feels like a vicious bite, instead of giving a normal bite and to have an element of fear and more importantly that feeling of being a bad parront. RIght, it must be you- why else is there? Wrong! 100% wrong! The extent that hormones rule our parrots is often not that apparent. Any as my good friend 'Boats has pointed out this mating season in North America has been a really off the charts one. The observation that he may have already been mad because you broke routine, I think is valid; that coupled with the rage that can happen with hormones is the likely root cause.

PLease, please, please do not feel like this was your fault, or that the macaw you love is gone forever. That would be the real tragedy here, sundering your relationship with him.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Make sure he’s getting at least 12 hours of darkness each day, if not a bit more. That will help to regulate his sex hormones and make him calmer.

OP
B

Bogie's Mom

Aug 22, 2021
Media
Parrots
Mccaw
I know what its like to both have an angry, hormonal large(r) parrot decide to give what feels like a vicious bite, instead of giving a normal bite and to have an element of fear and more importantly that feeling of being a bad parront. RIght, it must be you- why else is there? Wrong! 100% wrong! The extent that hormones rule our parrots is often not that apparent. Any as my good friend 'Boats has pointed out this mating season in North America has been a really off the charts one. The observation that he may have already been mad because you broke routine, I think is valid; that coupled with the rage that can happen with hormones is the likely root cause.

PLease, please, please do not feel like this was your fault, or that the macaw you love is gone forever. That would be the real tragedy here, sundering your relationship with him.
Thank you for your reply and support. We slept on it and this morning I just pretended nothing happened. Even though I was ready of an attack...he never did. But...I didn't make a big deal about anything...I talked super high pitch...I said all his favorite words....any responds was a good boy...then no hugs or kisses or pets....I think he'd let me but its that switch im afraid of. Sooo I am ok and sad. Im lonely to being free to be comfortable around him but I look at him as a hormonal illness and he's not feeling well. Any ideas where I can find human food list specific to helping hormonal macaws....im going to dehydrate my own peas...corn...pumpkin...flowers....I can't find anywhere specific foods for hormones? Thank you...

OP
B

Bogie's Mom

Aug 22, 2021
Media
Parrots
Mccaw
Make sure he’s getting at least 12 hours of darkness each day, if not a bit more. That will help to regulate his sex hormones and make him calmer.
Thank you. I've read that super aggressive one may need a few days of longer darkness rest periods. Sooo...im putting him in his cage at 3 to settle for the night. We're up at 6 so its not too short. Do you know where I can find information on a list of human foods that help hormonal macaws specifically...im going to dehydrate n make a dry chop....nothing mushy...

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I HEAR from this forum that you should avoid sugary fruits and vegetables like corn, peas, fruit. I have always tried to avoid protein- or fat-rich foods (eggs, fish, chicken) and to avoid hand-feeding the bird (sexy).

OP
B

Bogie's Mom

Aug 22, 2021
Media
Parrots
Mccaw
I HEAR from this forum that you should avoid sugary fruits and vegetables like corn, peas, fruit. I have always tried to avoid protein- or fat-rich foods (eggs, fish, chicken) and to avoid hand-feeding the bird (sexy).
Hi...thank you. Yes it does seem less sugars the better. Great...I have 15# of zupreem fruit blend and after researching today it is one of the poorest quality kibble....grrr. Im reducing the sugars overall anyway but macaws seem to need a higher fat intake so now I'm trying to find a true % and 'friendliest' fats...I do supply fresh chop and along with kibble I supply a nut blend. I just made a mix of cereals organic and dehydrated veggies n fruits too. Im hoping to mainstream all this effort to seasonal diets specific to needs like hormone season...ugg im lost but im researching n taking notes...thank you for your help.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Thank you for your reply and support. We slept on it and this morning I just pretended nothing happened. Even though I was ready of an attack...he never did. But...I didn't make a big deal about anything...I talked super high pitch...I said all his favorite words....any responds was a good boy...then no hugs or kisses or pets....I think he'd let me but its that switch im afraid of. Sooo I am ok and sad. Im lonely to being free to be comfortable around him but I look at him as a hormonal illness and he's not feeling well. Any ideas where I can find human food list specific to helping hormonal macaws....im going to dehydrate my own peas...corn...pumpkin...flowers....I can't find anywhere specific foods for hormones? Thank you...
And you are likely not going to as there is very little general information in that regard. The effort currently is to remove sugar and those foods that convert easily and quickly into sugar is recent. It is based on the ability of sugar to enhance the chemical flow, understanding that there is no current research as to the level of their effect beyond observational.

OP
B

Bogie's Mom

Aug 22, 2021
Media
Parrots
Mccaw
And you are likely not going to as there is very little general information in that regard. The effort currently is to remove sugar and those foods that convert easily and quickly into sugar is recent. It is based on the ability of sugar to enhance the chemical flow, understanding that there is no current research as to the level of their effect beyond observational.
Thank you. Im finding it difficult. And...surprising because if food types directly effect hormonal levels and rages AND hormonal rages are a leading cause of bird owners giving up their birds then there should be some type of research to isolate a diet plan to help w these rages....they just have to. Im really looking into herbs too...

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Thank you. Im finding it difficult. And...surprising because if food types directly effect hormonal levels and rages AND hormonal rages are a leading cause of bird owners giving up their birds then there should be some type of research to isolate a diet plan to help w these rages....they just have to. Im really looking into herbs too...

Remember that Rate of Flow, affects, where level if Rage is the effect of enhanced flow. Example: Amazons as a result of teasing them can cause their flow rate to increase. God only knows, why someone would want to do that, but it happens.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
I commend you for doing the research and efforts in Bogie's behalf, if only all parrot owners were so committed.

I think ( and my opinion only) that one of the reasons that no research into the effect of various foods on hormone levels in parrots is because they all react differently to the increase in hormones that mating season triggers, and different foods might even produce different levels and types of hormones too. Parrots are very much individuals in every way, and what sets off one high strung individual might not in a more laid back one. The cautions to reduce or eliminate sugar and convertible foods, like corn, and to not feed warm mushy foods are mostly the results of observations made over years by very experienced parrot owners. Aviculture is an evolving field; some things that were accepted as little as 5-10yrs ago have been dropped by the wayside.

Talaya

Apr 26, 2022
Media
Parrots
Han Solo - SI Male Eclectus
Hi, I’m only a newbie owner myself, but have read about things to maybe help hormones. Such as organic chamomile flowers or dried lavender. There is also a book called Bach remedies for animals.
As said above every parrot is different and what may help one will not help another. Also remember they only have tiny bodies in comparison to ours. So where As we might drink a cup of chamomile tea to ease our nerves.. in relation to them I guess that’s about just a few drops. There would have to be a guide somewhere.
There is an animal behaviourist -Barbara Heidenreich she has a Facebook page and I think in the sticky notes/files gives some information about hormonal behaviour Help. She works professionally with many animals species across zoos and parks, but does recognise that parrots are a complex species living amongst us humans.
I hope you find the love in your heart again for your boy.

Last edited:

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
More important than avoiding sugar is avoiding fatty or protein rich foods. These are the foods that are consumed more in the breeding season. And of course, do not hand feed foods to your bird during this time. Honestly, it seems like it’s best to kind of ignore them and not cuddle or scritch at all at that time.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Do you know Bogie's triggers ? That can vary from individual to individual. Some parrots get triggered by the soft, warm mushy food thing, some by having access to dark hidey spots or to shreddy type bedding or materials or the other known triggers. Or All of them! For instance, Salty gets triggered by dark hidey spots, and during mating season, if he is in his cage, he hides up in one corner where its darker and if out and on his cage will try to climb down and hide under the cage on the shelf there. Eyes pinned and tail flared out wide!. The soft warm mushy food thing does not seem to affect him. He gets his evening meal, the chop one, served at around 100-105degF, and he wolfs it down (we call him Hover or Electrolux sometimes).

Most Reactions

Latest posts