Support/info thread for people with birds who have endured trauma.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
It's really tough for a bird when they're traumatized, but it can also be really difficult for the people who own or are looking after the bird. It's super easy to feel like giving up, or like your bird will always have "huge" reactions to everything. It can be really frustrating and draining to see your bird struggle. Every. Single. Day. So, here's the thread where people can talk about their experiences, vent a little, or ask for advice.

I made this thread because I feel utterly hopeless after watching Apollo panic after I simply took her outside, somewhere she's been a million times. It feels like her response to stress is getting worse as she grows up. She was traumatized as a juvenile and possible as a chick too, and it feels like she's just in fight-or-flight 24/7. If anyone has advice or articles on birds who have endured trauma, and how to help them, please post here. Even if your bird hasn't endured the same level of trauma as some of the other birds on here, I encourage you to post. Any and all advice can be really helpful.

Beebee0221

Mar 15, 2022
Parrots
Bee Bee
I am so sorry to hear this. I’m not sure what kind of trauma my bee bee parrot parrot endured before I got him, but I know it’s there. He is so afraid of the outdoors, windows, people, etc. I find when I introduce them to new things I’m careful about what time of day it is, and what his mood is I don’t know of any solution, but to spend a lot of time with him and build trust and a safe space, I think some birds have a really hard time getting over trauma, but I know you can do it if that is your goal.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Trauma in parrots is definitely real. I can say Nico my Ekkie is afraid of laundry baskets. I learned this very quickly after adopting him. He will scream bloody murder, and try’s to get away as quickly as possible if he sees a laundry basket. This is the only time I’ve ever seen him try to fly is when there is a laundry basket in his sight. Mind everyone Nico has a broken wing. He could get very hurt trying to fly. Something in Nico’s past with laundry baskets went very wrong. I do my best to try to work with him, and to present laundry baskets in a positive manner. In the last 2 years I’ve gotten no where. Laundry baskets (baskets in general) just cause panic in Nico.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
It's really tough for a bird when they're traumatized, but it can also be really difficult for the people who own or are looking after the bird. It's super easy to feel like giving up, or like your bird will always have "huge" reactions to everything. It can be really frustrating and draining to see your bird struggle. Every. Single. Day. So, here's the thread where people can talk about their experiences, vent a little, or ask for advice.

I made this thread because I feel utterly hopeless after watching Apollo panic after I simply took her outside, somewhere she's been a million times. It feels like her response to stress is getting worse as she grows up. She was traumatized as a juvenile and possible as a chick too, and it feels like she's just in fight-or-flight 24/7. If anyone has advice or articles on birds who have endured trauma, and how to help them, please post here. Even if your bird hasn't endured the same level of trauma as some of the other birds on here, I encourage you to post. Any and all advice can be really helpful.
I adopted a rescue budgie named Stormy that had been abused by its cagemate(s) before given away to the rescue. Stormy was a beautiful deep blue gray opaline with pure white wings and tail and a dark bright blue cere. His cagemate had broken his toes and Stormy just wanted to be left alone but I had the perfect cagemate for him- my most gentle loving Charlie. Charlie loved Stormy, was very nice to him and wanted to play but Stormy preferred solitude. I kept them together because Charlie was so kind and gentle and I don't think Stormy would have moved around the cage at all if he lived alone. I don't know how old Stormy was when I got him but he lived with Charlie for a couple years before he passed and I got Charlie a new cagemate. It really bothers me when people keep two birds together in one cage when one of the birds is being badly bullied by the other. In the wild, the bullied bird would fly away to safety but there's no escape from the stress in a cage. As their caretakers it's our responsibility to separate them to prevent physical and emotional trauma.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
I adopted a rescue budgie named Stormy that had been abused by its cagemate(s) before given away to the rescue. Stormy was a beautiful deep blue gray opaline with pure white wings and tail and a dark bright blue cere. His cagemate had broken his toes and Stormy just wanted to be left alone but I had the perfect cagemate for him- my most gentle loving Charlie. Charlie loved Stormy, was very nice to him and wanted to play but Stormy preferred solitude. I kept them together because Charlie was so kind and gentle and I don't think Stormy would have moved around the cage at all if he lived alone. I don't know how old Stormy was when I got him but he lived with Charlie for a couple years before he passed and I got Charlie a new cagemate. It really bothers me when people keep two birds together in one cage when one of the birds is being badly bullied by the other. In the wild, the bullied bird would fly away to safety but there's no escape from the stress in a cage. As their caretakers it's our responsibility to separate them to prevent physical and emotional trauma.
I’ve often wondered the same thing. Nico till this day checks every single corner that another parrot could be hiding in before he perches, and settles down. The shelter he was at did a great job with him. However shelters where I am located are packed full of parrots. There is no room. They do the best that they can. Multiple parrots are out at a time. Once in awhile there were parrot β€œfights”. They are brutal.

I can’t volunteer anymore due to a vet not recommending it for disease purposes. Nico is immune compromised.

When parrots don’t get along they really don’t get along. I hope with time Nico stops worrying about other parrots in hiding going to β€œpop out” by surprise. He has his own night time room. He has nothing to worry about.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts