Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
Is your U2 a male?
Do some research on male Umbrella & male Moluccan cockatoo biting.
I believe that I warned you about this several months ago right after you got your U2 and were letting your young children handle him.

Please google 'real cockatoo facts'..

OP
B

Bullitr

Jul 9, 2011
He is a male
And I did read about the real facts about cockatoo that is why I am very cautious when me or my kids handle him.

kerry

Jul 3, 2011
In a suburb of Minneapolis, MN
Parrots
Yellow Naped Amazon -female, Umbrella Cockatoo - female.
Lene1949, "real cockatoo facts" is kind of general, it leads to a whole forum of info.
Do you want to send me a link to what you are recommending that I read if your comment was directed at me. My statement was based on real life experience with male U2s & M2s.
Thanks, Kerry

ShreddedOakAviary

Jul 13, 2011
Parrots
M2's, U2's, G2's, RB2's, VOS, RLA's, BFA's, DYHA's, Dusky Pionus, Blue and Green Quakers, Meyers Parrots, VOS, GW Macaw's, Harlequin Macaws, Tiels, YNA, TAG's, CAG's, Blue Crown Conures, Red sided Ecl
Bullitr....

Please do not tkae the following as an insult, but I went to your page and pulled up all your previous posts and threads and I've come to a couple of conclusions that you really need to hear and consider (whether it hurts your feelings or not, I sincerely have your families and the birds interest at heart here)

1. You are in way over your head. You have an umbrella you are having behavoir problems you should have been taken to the vet and you didn't. You have a blue and gold that has respiratory problems that I highly doubt you took to the vet (if so I'm sorry for this assumption). What antibiotic did the vet prescribe? You have now aquired a greenwing that has temperment work that needs to be done, and should have a vet exam as well. You are in so far, that advice isn't gonna help you too much. My sincere advice is stop getting birds until you master the ones you have. Ideally you should probably just keep one of those birds and get it to be the bird you want. Just because your mother-in-law has lots of birds, does not mean you should too.

2. Take all three birds to the vet for exams

3. Contact someone local to you to help you sort out the mess of behavoirs you're dealing with

4. Keep the cockatoo away from the children completely... you clearly don't have the experience to judge a bird, and you should never risk a child to a bird you can't deal with yourself... especially a male cockatoo.

I am very sorry, I've been watching your posts trying to figure out how to help you, and that is the best I can do.

Last edited:

BHCowner

Oct 28, 2010
Parrots
Neo: Black headed Caique
I am going to completely agree with the above post. I looked into getting a Umbrella cockatoo as i fell in love with the best bird in a breeders near me. I did some research and instantly found that it would be a very bad decision if i did. They seem to be extremely complex birds and i didnt want to ruin ones life because i was incapable of tending to its needs. This is why i got my caique who can be enough trouble as it is!

Please take the advice of the post above.

OP
B

Bullitr

Jul 9, 2011
Thanks for your concern
All of the birds are doing great.
The cockatoo still doing the nesting behavior loves to hide in the corner with the blanket.He still sleep inside the house he is still cautious around me but not with my kids.
The blue and good are gaining weight and I am controlling his regurgitation behavior.
The new green wing are becaming more tame we can feed in by hands without any aggression and I will handle him more as soon as he let me.

6c6f6ef4.jpg

After 2 weeks of quarantine I introduce the green wing macaw
IMG_5241.jpg

Also I am in the medical field since I was 19 as a respiratory therapist.
Thank you

Lacey

Oct 24, 2011
South Dakota
Parrots
Reno~Umbrella Cockatoo
It's good to hear there is progress being made. I am definitely not an experienced U2 owner, but some of the things you mention do concern me. I sincerely hope we never have to read of your U2 seriously injuring your children. Best of luck to you!

OP
B

Bullitr

Jul 9, 2011
Thanks
we don't pick him up while he's on this state
I used a long pole to pick him up but there is no issues
while he is being pet inside or outside the cage.

OP
B

Bullitr

Jul 9, 2011
Update he is still doing the nesting behavior but
He is more mellow and getting better we pick him up with a caution only when he is willing to be pick up.

Still my biggest problem is he and my B&G loves to hang out to preen themselves all day.
Then when I separate them at night the B&G scream on top of his lungs or when B&G gets excite with their bird play.

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
Thanks for your concern
All of the birds are doing great.
The cockatoo still doing the nesting behavior loves to hide in the corner with the blanket.He still sleep inside the house he is still cautious around me but not with my kids.
Also I am in the medical field since I was 19 as a respiratory therapist.
Thank you

What do you mean by "He still sleep inside the house"??? Aren't your birds in your house? Where do you keep them?

OP
B

Bullitr

Jul 9, 2011
They are in the garage since the weather is good and I dont want to exposed the macaw to dander 24/7.
When the weather drops to 50 degree I will put them inside on there own room :)

melinda

Aug 10, 2011
TN
Parrots
5 year old cockatoo Chloe and 3 year old sun conure Joe Joe
Khloe 15 year old orange wing amazon
I see you have decided to rehome you cockatoo. I hope you will put a ad on her so maybe a exp. too person might adopt him

Lacey

Oct 24, 2011
South Dakota
Parrots
Reno~Umbrella Cockatoo
I came across your add for re-homing your U2. Forgive me if I am wrong, but with behavioral issues it takes time to fix the problem. You seem to not feel that it is necessary to work with your birds and correct the issue. Parrots take a lot of time and effort that you obviously do not feel is necessary, and you claim you care so much. If that were true, you would realize how devistating it is for a parrot to be tossed around several times. My opinion and I realize you won't take any advice or help with the problem so many prayers for your U2.

gixerchick

Dec 6, 2011
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
3 year old sulfur crested cockatoo
My Beeker has done the same overnight - I can (well could) do ANYTHING I wanted with him - even open up his beek to clean it or get stuff out if he was chewing something he shouldn't. He NEVER bites me but now - just overnight its like he HATES me and is hissing and running away from me and its so upsetting. I spend last night crying! I'm taking him to the vet now tho to see if there is anyhting additional as behaviour change can be physical illness.
He's about 3 years old too...
Any help or advise would bne great!

NuttyFeathers

Jan 18, 2012
Ottawa
Parrots
Willow, G2 - 9yrs
Elwood, Lovie - 6 mos
The first thing I would do is stop letting him play with your kids. 'Toos aren't domestic animals like dogs or cats, and we just can't trust them NOT to bite. Even the sweetest 'too is capable, so we must assume that at some point it is inevitable. A hurt wild animal will not think rationally, but rather act PURELY on instinct. If we impose our will they will simply stop trusting us so you must work very slowly on repairing your damaged relationship with him. Our motto in our house is "Bites happen and if you can't handle it, don't touch the birds". With that said it happens SO rarely but we're always prepared for it. If you get bit hold your hand very still, you can say "Ow" but don't yell or punish. It'll just make them more fearful and "aggressive".

I would definitely keep him very far from the childrens reach until he heals and at least begins to trust you again. Remember, it's unrealistic to expect the ability to have total faith and trust in a wild animal. He could take fingers right off those kids.

Most Reactions