Switching food

jethrosgreencheeks

Jun 3, 2018
Hello! I brought my green cheek for a wellness check and my vet suggested I switch his food from the Zupreem fruitblend to Goldenfeast goldn'obles. I mixed them and have slowly been removing the fruitblend. Yesterday I removed the fruitblend. He refused to eat his new food. Around 12pm I got worried because my vet said that if he hasnā€™t eaten by that time to just give him his old food. Is there any other way to get him to eat his new food? I just want to give him a healthier option.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Most vets recommend Harrison's so it's interesting to see one recommend something else!

The best you can do is to keep offering it and perhaps trying different and creative ways to encourage eating it, such as putting it in foraging activities, hiding in toys, etc!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I switched my flock's pellet type from ZuPreem Fruit Blend to Harrison's coarse two months ago. Precisely followed their guidance for transition, and it worked well for all seven. I realize you are converting to a different brand, but the concept might work.

Large birds: Diet Conversion: Medium to Large Bird | Harrison's Bird Foods

Small birds: Diet Conversion: Small Bird | Harrison's Bird Foods

I suspect for their purposes, a Conure is "large."

Good luck, be persistent but never starve a bird into submission!

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
A green cheek conure would be considered "small", although they may enjoy eating larger foods. My mitred conure (large) and a green cheek (small, possible foster) are both eating cockatiel sized Harrison's.

Most Reactions