Symptoms of illness?

greenbirb2

Mar 14, 2024
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures
Hello everyone! We recently (approx. 21 days ago) took in a visibly knocked around Green Cheek Conure. I have observed a few things and was wondering if I could get some advice/insight.

I have no history on him/her. The tail feathers have notches removed, like he was maybe nipped at. There is a toenail missing. The feathers are appear to be normal at the base, there are obvious stress bars. When we got him, he smelled kind of sour. He was VERYYYYYY scared and stressed. We’ve let him decompress, but he has taken a liking to me and will want to cuddle and runs up to me when he is out of his cage. He is eating and drinking. he is alert and looks comfortable but he is much quieter than my other GCC. We have them in separate rooms and are taking quarantine seriously. I have bathed him and blow dried him. He has voluntarily taken one bath in his own but I rarely see him preen himself.

We have him on Zupreem pellets, I have no idea what he was fed previously. We offer treats, fruits, little bits of our food and he has NO CLUE what do do with it.

I am concerned because he seems to be drastically different than my other GCC (albeit she is very sassy and active!) and i’m not sure if it’s bc he feels unwell or he’s still needing time to decompress. He will
okay and explore but is very reserved.

We have an appointment with my Avian Vet but not for another week - it was the soonest I could get him in. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you in advance.

-Queso’s Mom
IMG_3045.jpeg
IMG_3040.jpeg

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
What a beautiful little guy! Thank you so much for taking him in ❤️. Unfortunately, a lot of what you’re describing could be attributed to a variety of things including: illness, different personality, or him just being cautious and unsure in his new home. Continuing to keep careful quarantine protocols and taking him to the vet when you have your appointment are the best things you can do right now. Based on your description and the pictures, I don’t see evidence of any kind of an emergency so you should be ok to wait a week for that vet appointment. I hope all goes well and your new buddy settles in and learns to love his new life! ❤️

Most Reactions

Latest posts