Takito and Pedro

T

takito

This is Takito and Pedro, when they were both pretty young,
parrots.png

They were babies when I got them, Takito just barely had any feathures, Pedro
was a little older, but both needed to be fed with a dropper(syringe),...
Here where I live, their are not any fancy pet stores, where one can get
special "formulas", etc.... We use a mixture using "maseca" which is a
corn flour used in making tortillas.
When they were a little bigger, and the liquid was not enough, I started feeding them
corn tortillas, and by mouth, after I had chewed the tortilla up enough, ..when they started eating more solid foods, seeds, and some fruit, etc,... well they really were not hard to ween at all, they seemed to enjoy eating on their own, and preferred the food that was on a dish, ...

Sandy19

Mar 22, 2017
They are really cute and I'm all the sudden in the mood for a Tacos Al Pastor.

Or a tamale. But you can't get a good tamale here, I live in the worst foodie place in the world. Daytona beach area, the worst.

Last edited:

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Beautiful birds! They seem very happy. Welcome to the forum!

I hate to be that kind of poster so please don't take offese, I mean well. :) One detail stood out to me about you chewing up the tortilla for the baby birds. Do you mean in your mouth? Human saliva harbors tons of bacteria that can make parrots sick. I suggest using other means to mush up the tortilla. I suggest using a ziplock bag, put inside a bit of tortilla, a bit of warm, clean water, seal then from the outside of the bag, pound it. I'm sure there are other ways (like a personal blender).

Regards to your flock and thanks for sharing. :)

OP
T

takito

Thanks on the reply, and it is good that you mention:
Human saliva harbors tons of bacteria that can make parrots sick.
This is something I had not even thought about, but any way, it is something to consider in the future, and others maybe will think twice,....with these 2 , it was a year ago, they are both way past
the need for any "hand feeding" now,...and in fine health.
It still is something one should consider,... thanks

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Glad to hear they're healthy and happy! They're beautiful birds and they look so cozy atop that massive sunflower. Hope to see more of their photos :D

StChelle

Apr 4, 2017
Louisiana
Parrots
Male Galah named Valentine; male red-sided Eclectus named Harlequin "Harley"; female red-sided Eclectus named Petra
Beautiful birds! They seem very happy. Welcome to the forum!

I hate to be that kind of poster so please don't take offese, I mean well. :) One detail stood out to me about you chewing up the tortilla for the baby birds. Do you mean in your mouth? Human saliva harbors tons of bacteria that can make parrots sick. I suggest using other means to mush up the tortilla. I suggest using a ziplock bag, put inside a bit of tortilla, a bit of warm, clean water, seal then from the outside of the bag, pound it. I'm sure there are other ways (like a personal blender).

Regards to your flock and thanks for sharing. :)

Ok I didn't know this. No more biting off an almond shaving and sharing lol I thought that would help bonding! Thankfully I didn't do that often. Thanks for posting this.

StChelle

Apr 4, 2017
Louisiana
Parrots
Male Galah named Valentine; male red-sided Eclectus named Harlequin "Harley"; female red-sided Eclectus named Petra
You should enter this one in the photo contest :) very nice pic!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts