Tatty feathers, falling out?

Ninjina93

Jan 21, 2022
Hi all! I recently rescued a wild quaker fledgling from the city streets, dehydrated and exhausted. He's now in my care until he can fly away after building up his strength. Already he is flying pretty well around the house, and has a lot of 'spice' 😂, but the vet suggests another two weeks tops before releasing him to the colony.

Since we found him his tail feathers have been extremely tatty. The vet gave me a biotin vitamin supplement last week to mix into his food, otherwise he is eating very well with a variety of fruit, veg, grains, nuts, seeds and complete pellets.

This morning he lost two of the worst feathers. He was screaming flying around to shake them out. I have the vet again on Tuesday but I'm just worried. I'm wondering if this been from a nutrient deficiency from before I found him, or perhaps an attack? Has anyone seen this before?

The vet only found traces of a non-serious fungal infection in his poop, for which he is being treated, and just in case I am treatinh my other wild rescued quaker who is a permanent family member.

Any thoughts about these feathers or question suggestions I should throw to my vet on Tuesday would be so appreciated!

Screenshot_20220731-100914_Gallery.jpg

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Perhaps he was not fed well? Those feathers are terrible! Something was really interfering with feather growth when they were forming. Low protein? Terrible diet? Is this a little guy who may have been a smallish chick?

OP
Ninjina93

Ninjina93

Jan 21, 2022
Perhaps he was not fed well? Those feathers are terrible! Something was really interfering with feather growth when they were forming. Low protein? Terrible diet? Is this a little guy who may have been a smallish chick?
I think you're right 😭 Born in a very difficult location I think. The city centre is much harder for them to get food than it is in the rural areas like where we live. Yes small, but now much less so, he's grown tonnes in the last 2 weeks! Here's a pic from when he was found, and then what he's looking like now. His feathers in his tail are soooo weak and frail. He is flying great around the room but it's really no comparison to outside... I'm scared he won't be able to be free any time soon 😭
Screenshot_20220801-182802_Pixlr.jpg

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Not sure how either the Vet or you have defined this young Parrot is wild and not an escaped Companion young Parrot. The feather is clearly in bad condition, which implies a combination of diet and cage wear. The easy in which you rescued the Parrot kind of implies it was use to Human contact. Should really thing about whether releasing this Parrot is a good idea as he may not have the skills to survive being wild.

OP
Ninjina93

Ninjina93

Jan 21, 2022
Not sure how either the Vet or you have defined this young Parrot is wild and not an escaped Companion young Parrot. The feather is clearly in bad condition, which implies a combination of diet and cage wear. The easy in which you rescued the Parrot kind of implies it was use to Human contact. Should really thing about whether releasing this Parrot is a good idea as he may not have the skills to survive being wild.
I live in a country where they live wild and are uncommon and illegal as pets. So yes it is wild, it has never been in a cage until now, and absolutely is not friendly with humans. But thanks for the input.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I think you're right 😭 Born in a very difficult location I think. The city centre is much harder for them to get food than it is in the rural areas like where we live. Yes small, but now much less so, he's grown tonnes in the last 2 weeks! Here's a pic from when he was found, and then what he's looking like now. His feathers in his tail are soooo weak and frail. He is flying great around the room but it's really no comparison to outside... I'm scared he won't be able to be free any time soon 😭View attachment 42800
Oh, that poor baby! He must have been so scared! Thank you for caring for him.

I also wonder how releasable he will be. He may not have the proper fear of humans to be safe as a wild parrot.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts