Indian ringneck feather falling

Bellarosy

Mar 17, 2024
Parrots
Indian ringneck
Hi all,
I am new to this site. I am really worried about my ten months old Indian ringneck. Lately his feather has been falling, about three to four feathers that are mid size from his wing. It happened three days ago and everyday there are three to four falling. Is there something wrong with him?

Really appreciate any advice as I am really worried. His vet appointment is scheduled for two weeks from now.

Attachments

• IMG_2607.jpeg
    IMG_2607.jpeg
    132 KB · Views: 5

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Hi all,
I am new to this site. I am really worried about my ten months old Indian ringneck. Lately his feather has been falling, about three to four feathers that are mid size from his wing. It happened three days ago and everyday there are three to four falling. Is there something wrong with him?

Really appreciate any advice as I am really worried. His vet appointment is scheduled for two weeks from now.
I think it's a good idea that you've got a vet appointment coming up. It's always good for pet birds to have a wellness check every year to catch any potential problems before they start to show, because pet parrots are so very good at hiding signs of illness. In your case, however, i would suggest that the feather loss you're seeing is as a result of your ringneck moulting into his adult plumage, which happens naturally from the age of about 7 or 8 months or so, and can continue into their first year. The feather you've shown in your photo appears to have been dropped naturally through the moulting process, rather than having been forcibly removed by your bird. I'd keep the vet appointment for the purposes of a general wellness check as stated above, but I think what you're seeing here is normal.

Welcome to the forums, and I hope this has been of some help to you :)

OP
B

Bellarosy

Mar 17, 2024
Parrots
Indian ringneck
I think it's a good idea that you've got a vet appointment coming up. It's always good for pet birds to have a wellness check every year to catch any potential problems before they start to show, because pet parrots are so very good at hiding signs of illness. In your case, however, i would suggest that the feather loss you're seeing is as a result of your ringneck moulting into his adult plumage, which happens naturally from the age of about 7 or 8 months or so, and can continue into their first year. The feather you've shown in your photo appears to have been dropped naturally through the moulting process, rather than having been forcibly removed by your bird. I'd keep the vet appointment for the purposes of a general wellness check as stated above, but I think what you're seeing here is normal.

Welcome to the forums, and I hope this has been of some help to you :)
Thanks Lamanuka! This is a great help as I am worried sick, this makes me feel better. Yes I will keep the appointment as I haven’t brought him to a vet yet since I brought him home. I do want to have everything checked out to make sure he’s in good health. Thanks so much!

Most Reactions