Teach Your Bird To Talk

charliesmommy

Mar 24, 2012
Media
Albums
Naples, Florida
Parrots
Charlie:my blue Indian ring neck and Twiggy, a grey cockatiel.
My cockatiel says a few phrases... "Whatcha doin" ("whatcha doin bird") "Birdy boy" "Pretty bird" "Hello" -when he hears a phone ring. But no matter WHAT.... he WILL NOT say "I LOVE YOU" or "Love You" I've had him for 4 years and I've been trying to get him to say Love you and Mommy or Moma since day 1. I don't know if I did something wrong. Now, I also have a baby ring neck that I plan to teach the same phrases to- but what if I end up with 2 birds that wont say "Love You" and "Mama" ??

OP
antoinette

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
My cockatiel says a few phrases... "Whatcha doin" ("whatcha doin bird") "Birdy boy" "Pretty bird" "Hello" -when he hears a phone ring. But no matter WHAT.... he WILL NOT say "I LOVE YOU" or "Love You" I've had him for 4 years and I've been trying to get him to say Love you and Mommy or Moma since day 1. I don't know if I did something wrong. Now, I also have a baby ring neck that I plan to teach the same phrases to- but what if I end up with 2 birds that wont say "Love You" and "Mama" ??

Try this out say to your bird

I love you
Mama I love you
Mama loves you

Add in all your human family names as well.

When I teach Mishka to say something I add in many different names, using the same phrase.

EG :

Eat your biscuit
Di you want a biscuit
I add in mommy go eat your biscuit
Your biscuit is in your bowl
Did you eat the biscuit
Sean and Steven are eating their biscuits
(I add different words, still using the word biscuit, knowing that Mishka is learning different ways of saying it at the same time.

Keep repeating it to your bird, for a few days, at night sit with the bird closely, saying what you are trying to teach him.

:grey:

Sani-000

Oct 6, 2023
Parrots
Alexanderine
A few members are eager to teach their birds to talk, and have approached me. This method worked for Mishka and myself, hopefully it will work for you and your birds.

I am by no means an expert, you don't have to be, to teach a bird to talk

It's so easy to teach your bird to talk
23_32_1sc.gif

Start off saying simple words

hello love you Mishka (your birds name) bye bye

Continue saying this to the bird daily, along with your everyday conversation, they listen to EVERYTHING we say, and have the ability to learn all the time.

Talk to your bird, saying who does Mishka love? Mishka loves Sean
Ask the question and answer it as well in the beginning, saying it along with the bird. You will be surprised how quickly they catch on.

When ever you are near the bird, even in another room, talk all the time, telling the bird what you are doing.

I started of telling Mishka water, whenever I turned a tap on, when turning on a tap now, she says to me mommy water.

Keep a file with the words you are teaching the bird, add the new ones on each time. Carefully selecting words and sentences, which will create an amazing vocabulary for your bird.

It took Mishka about a month to learn to say I want to go to the bathroom to poopie

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]eGHStngKnbg[/MEDIA]"]Talking African Grey Parrot "MISHKA" BRILLIANTLY PUTTING WORDS TOGETHER - YouTube[/ame]

Talk talk and keep talking

Good luck
Hi I hope u can help me I brought an Alexandrine male parrot from a bird shop the owner said his 18 months said he was tamed he did make the parrot sit on my arm just the once then he flew off since I have brought him his very quite no sound it’s been 4 days now I’m trying to talk to him everyday I was told just to leave him alone and open the cage door and when he decides to come out then I should handle him 🤔 his eating and drinking when I talk to him he just starts to move around his cage by holding the cage bars with his beak I’m really worried will he ever talk can I still teach him to talk or it’s too late

Most Reactions

Latest posts