Teflon free rice cookers?

Ephy

Jan 3, 2018
Canada
Parrots
A 4 year old House Sparrow named Kiwi and a 22 year old dove named Baby
Hi there,

Looking to buy a rice cooker, but I am concerned most have teflon.

Any recomendations?

Thanks!

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
Do you really need a rice cooker?

You can always go the 'old fasioned way' with a heatsource, a pan and water.
There are even gizmoos for those who are microwave-only people...

The more expensive rice cookers have a white ceramic layer afaik these are safe for birds anyway.

Last edited:

Inger

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Iā€™m with Christa on this one. I my opinion, rice cookers are a big pain-cooking rice in the stove is very easy and a lot faster than a rice cooker.

If you want to get something that IS useful, look into an InstantPot electronic pressure cooker. The InstantPot brand is bird-safe, you can cook rice in it (brown rice in 30 minutes, anyone?) and you can use it for jillions of other things too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
E

Ephy

Jan 3, 2018
Canada
Parrots
A 4 year old House Sparrow named Kiwi and a 22 year old dove named Baby
I have been cooking rice in a pot and was looking for a quick easy solution, since I dont always make it properly.
The instantpot sounds interesting, thanks I will look jnto it.

April

Apr 17, 2018
Philly
Parrots
Female eclectus April,male eclectus Buddha(hulk)
Oh my god I miss my rice cooker we had the $600 cockoo and yum! I made millions of calls and got no where itā€™s called diamond but we put it away looks like some form of non stick not worth it but..... I came across the coolest recipe and makes fabulous rice!
1/1 ratio
Washed thoroughly and set for 10 min
I like 3 cups in a stainless steel pot ok hereā€™s where it gets tricky
Put rice and water in pot with lid on , on high
- you have to listen for the lid to (dance)? Her words not mine ,it works stay with me
- then you turn to simmer 5 min( I prefer 7 on my stove)
- back up to high for 30 sec
- stir gently remove and let sit for 10 min
I was determined to have a steaming pile of white fluffy not gummy rice , we love those ongi thingys like the omoji ļæ½ļæ½ and you canā€™t beat a rice maker Iā€™m with you , try it please let me know what you think .. cause I thought cooking with my ears was crazy! Remember donā€™t peek ! Love rice ! Canā€™t live without it . I like nishiki Cali Japanese rice
Ps I forgot to say .. all rice cookers are some form of non stick trust me I tried it is soooooo easy it was the hardest thing for me to give up , and a slow cooker or pressure cooking breaks it down into a gummy mush if thatā€™s okay with you cool

Last edited:

lplummer52

Apr 19, 2016
Indialantic, FL
Parrots
"Birdie". Sun Conure
My sister-in-law is Filipino and she gave me a rice cooker. It looked plastic to me? Anyway, I rarely used it and when I did, the rice seemed under cooked. She has a pot of rice on the go all day, every day. They buy it in big burlap bags. She eats rice for breakfast! I think a stainless pan on the stove does a fine job. I always let it sit, covered, for 5 or 10 minutes after simmering for 20. Comes out perfect every time. The brown takes longer of course. I usually brown the rice in olive oil and butter before adding chicken broth. Mmmmm.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I MISS MINE!!! JUST was contemplating this today...my dad is the only one I know who does stove rice nicely (interestingly enough, my mom always burns the bottom lol)...I am talking water, rice and maybe salt... The majority of the people I have met make a mushier version on the stove and the rice-cooker was the best bet I had to even coming close to the non-mushy variety (fluffy, soft, intact)...and even then----his was way better..If you find an alternative, I would love to know. I can "cook rice", it just sucks compared to what you would get at a restaurant...And otherwise, I'm a great cook lol!
ps: Grew up in a home that bought rice by the 25lb bag lol!
Never owned a rice-cooker until I became an adult, but I too eat rice for breakfast (among other things)...my dad was the rice-cooker and he is a bigger hassle than teflon lol!!! (lovingly)

Last edited:

April

Apr 17, 2018
Philly
Parrots
I also burnt the bottom and mushy before the rice cooker it was always terrible , that recipe is from the Japanese Kansha cook book try it you will not be disappointed we have 2 25lb bags jasmine and nishiki make sure you have a deeper pot . I ate It with chop sticks to night and a bowl of wok veggies red leaf chard onion ginger and fresh zucchini with broth dip

Sandy19

Mar 22, 2017
I love my rice cooker. I have one of those Tiger brand ones that are made in Japan and have the decorative pictures of flowers on the outside of it, very old fashioned looking.

I don't see how you could burn rice in it since it's self cooking. It's so easy, 2 cups of basmati rice and 4 cups of water and an optional pinch of salt and click the switch. It comes out perfect and stays warm until the next day for leftovers. No fumes other than the smell of perfectly steamed rice.

April

Apr 17, 2018
Philly
Parrots
No I didnā€™t ever burn rice In my cooker it came out perfect every time ,you still use yours? I would go back to using mine in a heart beat if I thought it was safe?

Sandy19

Mar 22, 2017
All my pots and pans are stainless steel and cast iron so I knew that was safe with the bird, but I never once thought about the teflon in my rice cooker until now. I've been using it the whole time and it never crossed my mind. The bird is never in the kitchen when I'm cooking, however. I think if the bird is in a different room and you don't burn it then it would be fine.

I can cook good rice on the stove too, but the burner doesn't go low enough and the water boils out from under the lid making a big mess of my stove. The rice cooker is just so much easier. And it keeps it warm.

Sandy19

Mar 22, 2017
Also I kind of have an advantage with stuff like this. We already had enough pets that I have to take care of so I told my husband and daughter that the only way I'll agree to a parrot is if we have a screen enclosure built. So Peanut has a whole screened porch catered to her which is where she spends most of her time. She's never in the house when I'm cooking or cleaning or dying my hair or anything like that.

If I lived in a small apartment with nowhere else to the bird then I don't think I'd use it just to be on the safe side. Although I still think the rice cooker would be fine since I can't think of anyway to possibly burn it if you're only cooking plain white rice.

Most Reactions

Latest posts