Terror at the vet...

Iktomi

Jan 3, 2008
I took my CAG in to the vet yesterday because he's been a bit lethargic and I didn't know what was up. (I opted NOT to go with the DNA test...I've come to terms with that.) Anyway, when they took blood, my sweet boy went into a stress seizure. Vet said it was a form of epilepsy. I didn't know what was happening...his right foot was cramped and didn't work, he couldn't control his feather and they were all splayed, his eyes were blinking and he was hyperventilating. It was terrible. The vet was calmed and talked to me about it as it was happening and after 5 or 6 minutes (felt like eternity) my Butkus finally came out of it and is doing great. Full blood tests were all great.

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
Dude, I wish I had a beer icon here and now cause that had to have been some scary *censored* ... and there for those 5 minutes you must have been looking at the vet like "stop talking calmly to me and make sure my buddy is ok!!!!"

It's so funny, Christy and I got Hamlet shortly after a very tough time in our lives, and then Mac followed about 6 months later ... I never thought that I could get so attached to an animal ... but let me tell you something ... it's scary to think about these guys not being with us anymore ...

The other day Mac got spooked by my damn dryer (when the timer buzzer went off) and flew into a window ... Christy called me at work, sobbing ... not just crying, sobbing because he knocked himself silly (wasn't moving his legs, wasn't perching correctly and was doing something else strange .. I can't remember) and she had to go to work ... I left work, came home for about an hour to observe him and was ready to take this little one to the vet ... didn't know how I was going to pay for it, but was ready to take him ... luckily he was fine and came out of his "stun" before Christy left ...

As fragile as these guys are, they are resilient, and as one wiseguy once said to me, "The bird was fine. Me, on the other hand, well I needed a Valium."

OP
I

Iktomi

Jan 3, 2008
Well, I was actually happy that the vet was calm believe it or not. Because it helped me to be calm. (Somewhat.) I thought my bird was dying before my eyes and yes, I was mortified. This vet is supposed to be one of the best bird doctor's in the Denver area and I believe it. (Have seen some VERY bad Dr's.)
I'm just glad he's good. Liver, kidney, calcium, weight...everything is right on. So right on. Butkus is 9 years old now so hopefully he'll make 60.
(That way I'll be dead by then.) :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts