The fur monsters

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
It's WAAAAAYYYYYYYY too hot out this weekend (currently 95* -expected to get up to 105* this weekend, which is ridiculously hot for nw Oregon during summer time)

So I've got baby gates galore keeping them out of the kitchen and away from the birds....they played in the pool before they came in so my house stinks like wet dog ....yay.

They're all passed out now after I harassed them and weighed them all-

Bella -GSD- our heavy weight champ (she's a bit tubby), 6 yrs old and 100 lbs

Mishka -Siberian Husky- she's a bit tubby too- 11 yrs and 80 lbs

Apollo -Siberian Husky- he's just big... 10 yrs and 85 lbs

Apollo thinks he's a lap dog

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
So glad you brought them in, and they look happy to be laying on the cool floor, too. :smile015:

I love all your dogs, Shirre!!!!!

...just don't shave them. ;) LOL

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Lol I'm so glad I have hardwood and not carpet [emoji85]

I might take the vacuum to them, but no- I will not shave them....the idiot who told me to do that is well, an idiot lol

Sunset_Chaser

Sep 25, 2014
Minnesota
Parrots
Bella (B&G Macaw)
2 Yellow Naped Amazons,
8 Lovebirds,
2 Green Cheeks,
2 Sun Conures,
2 Indian Ringnecks,
2 Quakers
Beautiful dogs Shirre!!! They look thrilled to be camped out on the cool floors ;)

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Oh yeah- they're happy campers lol.

Mishka is blind and partially deaf, but she's figured out the layout fairly quickly --she relies on smells and floor textures to know where she's at...she does bump into things occasionally, but she does pretty well despite her "handicaps".

Some of these are older pics, but I still gotta share

Apollo

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Glad you arent shaving them! Some other idiot told us to do that with our Malamute once...

Sunset_Chaser

Sep 25, 2014
Minnesota
Parrots
Bella (B&G Macaw)
2 Yellow Naped Amazons,
8 Lovebirds,
2 Green Cheeks,
2 Sun Conures,
2 Indian Ringnecks,
2 Quakers
Awww, such cute faces! lol I want to bury my face in their fur and breathe deep :)

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Glad you arent shaving them! Some other idiot told us to do that with our Malamute once...

Oh boy lol

A lot of folks don't understand how their coats work~ they have double coats, which insulates them from heat during the summer and keeps them warm during the winter. Normally you'd think that getting rid of all that hair would make them feel cooler, but it ends up having the opposite effect -not to mention sunburn since huskies have hardly any skin pigmentation.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
All 3 beautiful dogs Shirre! Thanks for sharing pics :). That's like wearing a fur coat in the middle of summer lol. 100 is pretty is hot for where you live.

When I was 12, I begged and begged relentlessly for a husky. I wanted a blue eyed red one. My dad finally agreed, but got me a brown eyed black and white lol. She shed tons and tons of hair is one of the main things I remember.

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
All 3 beautiful dogs Shirre! Thanks for sharing pics :). That's like wearing a fur coat in the middle of summer lol. 100 is pretty is hot for where you live.

When I was 12, I begged and begged relentlessly for a husky. I wanted a blue eyed red one. My dad finally agreed, but got me a brown eyed black and white lol. She shed tons and tons of hair is one of the main things I remember.

Yeah- it's pretty hot...and tomorrow is going to be even more hot [emoji26]

Awww!! Mishka is my blue-eyed red girl- although her eyes are ghost white now [emoji53] her mom, however, was black and white and her dad looked just like Apollo. Mishka and Apollo are actually half-siblings....same dad, different moms.

I had mishka's name picked out, her kennel ready wayyyy before I even had her lol and then I finally found an ad in the paper.

But yeah- they shed like craaaaaaaaaaaaazy, and they're high energy, and they are escape artists. Mishka has bit through 12 gauge wire fencing multiple times, Apollo has pushed out the fence....I've heard of them climbing chain link fences, jumping them..... They're not for everyone, but they are absolutely wonderful dogs....

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Shirre, your canines are gorgeous! I know those coats are hard to care for, but I agree they should never be shaved. Haha, nothing like the smell of wet dogs.

Gypsy would love to meet your pack, finally some friends that know where to find a food bowl.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie

Awww!! Mishka is my blue-eyed red girl- although her eyes are ghost white now [emoji53] her mom, however, was black and white and her dad looked just like Apollo. Mishka and Apollo are actually half-siblings....same dad, different moms.

I had mishka's name picked out, her kennel ready wayyyy before I even had her lol and then I finally found an ad in the paper.

But yeah- they shed like craaaaaaaaaaaaazy, and they're high energy, and they are escape artists. Mishka has bit through 12 gauge wire fencing multiple times, Apollo has pushed out the fence....I've heard of them climbing chain link fences, jumping them..... They're not for everyone, but they are absolutely wonderful dogs....

That sounds like SoCal! I am not looking forward to the triple digits :(.

That's funny you sound like me... having Mishka's name picked out and kennel ready before even finding her. I do that too lol!

My husky Tasha (Natasha, my mom didn't let me name her lol, I guess she didn't want a 12 year old giving a dumb name) she was a very docile husky. A very "easy" large dog to train and handle, even for me at 12, lucky for me. Not the way they're usually described. She wouldn't have made a very good sled dog lol!

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Shirre, your canines are gorgeous! I know those coats are hard to care for, but I agree they should never be shaved. Haha, nothing like the smell of wet dogs.

Gypsy would love to meet your pack, finally some friends that know where to find a food bowl.

Lol at least Bella hasn't had an encounter with a skunk lately- that would've been even worse *gag*

Gypsy and Bella would get along great- Bella knows all the places to find extra food (no wonder she weighs 100 lbs!) ....I caught her eating mishka's dinner after she finished her own bowl...and then she tried to finish apollo's too!!! Good grief!!!

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon

That sounds like SoCal! I am not looking forward to the triple digits :(.

That's funny you sound like me... having Mishka's name picked out and kennel ready before even finding her. I do that too lol!

My husky Tasha (Natasha, my mom didn't let me name her lol, I guess she didn't want a 12 year old giving a dumb name) she was a very docile husky. A very "easy" large dog to train and handle, even for me at 12, lucky for me. Not the way they're usually described. She wouldn't have made a very good sled dog lol!

Lol we just know what we want!

Wow- you lucked out!! An easy going husky?!? I bet she was a good girl!

Mishka would be a terrible sled dog- she makes her own decisions [emoji57] Apollo on the other hand...LOVES to run and loves to pull. We actually wanted to get a pulling harness for him, train him, and get a cart set up so he can pull Jed around lol

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Tasha was a very good girl. But unfortunately I did what many kids do at that age... After begging for a dog probably for a year then finally getting one, I started to find new interests as a teen, and I got too busy for Tasha. She became my parents dog LOL! I am sure they figured that would happen.

I bet Jed really would love that. His own sled and sled dog!

Most Reactions

Latest posts