OP

18WheelsOfSteel

Jun 26, 2019
West Central Louisiana, originally from Portland O
Parrots
2 Budgies
"Southern Belle" a blue female
"Beau Dandy" a green male
Hope you feel better soon ! I'm hearing coughing and sneezing everywhere!! The plague!!!!!

First time I have been sick in about 7 or 8 years, Army lost my shot record twice, so I have been triple dosed on every vaccine they offer, add in all the MRE preservatives it's not likely I will change much after I kick the bucket, lol.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
That zicam nasal spray really works for me. Usually best when you first have sympathies, or after you are exposed but before you get sick. But I think it does shorten symptom

OP

18WheelsOfSteel

Jun 26, 2019
Parrots
2 Budgies
Oh my, dad was in BIG trouble for being sick the last couple of days, turns out Mr. Beau Dandy was absolutely ready to take the next step, and so was Ms. Belle, she decided waiting for me to finish doing my post trip was forward of me as she was ready to play, took off and landed on my glasses, and then proceeded to scramble flap on top of my head, then proudly proclaim her triumph, I was laughing too hard to get a picture, Mr. Beau Dandy for his part decided dad must not be all too bad and flew down to hang out for a few minutes and watched some of the first half of Thursday Night Football with me. Belle joined and nearly had a run in with a window, she pulled up short enough to just kind of rub it and scrape it with her wings, she has since been dutifully splitting her time between preening him and hanging out with me, it's a huge step.

For those who think that parent raised birds CAN'T be trained, these two are big box store birds that cost the princely sum of around $20 dollars per bird, just keep working at it, they aren't impossible to work with, it's just not going to happen over the first few days, this has been a nearly 5 month journey to this point and I feel like it's happening very rapidly and organically, they are setting the pace, and all I am doing is providing them with opportunities to interact and positive rewards when they do.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
My first "parrot" was a store bought budgie my mom got me for my 14th birthday..cost her a pocket-book breaking $4.95 :eek: so you can imagine how long ago that was. Wally was very young,and a beautiful sky blue with white/grey on his back. It took me less than a week to have him finger trained. He turned into the funniest,friendliest,goofiest little guy.

jim

OP

18WheelsOfSteel

Jun 26, 2019
Parrots
2 Budgies
My first "parrot" was a store bought budgie my mom got me for my 14th birthday..cost her a pocket-book breaking $4.95 :eek: so you can imagine how long ago that was. Wally was very young,and a beautiful sky blue with white/grey on his back. It took me less than a week to have him finger trained. He turned into the funniest,friendliest,goofiest little guy.

jim

Exactly, a single bird could probably be socialized in a couple of weeks by an adult with a job and basic family time commitments, a pair has been harder without doubt, but I knew that coming in, budgies get a bad rap as being less than a real parrot, nothing could be further from the truth, they are just like macaws or Amazons that got hit with the "Honey I shrunk the Kids" ray, you can teach them to talk, they are possibly the best talkers in the parrot world, and there are probably thousands of videos on YouTube of various tricks they have been recorded doing, amazing little birdies!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.

jim

Exactly, a single bird could probably be socialized in a couple of weeks by an adult with a job and basic family time commitments, a pair has been harder without doubt, but I knew that coming in, budgies get a bad rap as being less than a real parrot, nothing could be further from the truth, they are just like macaws or Amazons that got hit with the "Honey I shrunk the Kids" ray, you can teach them to talk, they are possibly the best talkers in the parrot world, and there are probably thousands of videos on YouTube of various tricks they have been recorded doing, amazing little birdies!

That's a big ten-four driver.. Wally said his name "Wallyboy"..hello..stop that!..and SHOO!...and one of my brothers friends taught him the F word!:mad: Luckily it was garbled but if you knew what he was trying to say you'd understand! Mom would say "oh isn't that cute...he's trying to say something":eek::rolleyes: Luckily for me,she didn't get it lol.

Jim

OP

18WheelsOfSteel

Jun 26, 2019
Parrots
2 Budgies
Just managed to pick up another bag of the Roudybush crumbles and 3 of the rope perches in 3 different sizes, to be swapped out as fancy dictates, this bank card draining trip was sponsored by our very own Laurasea! They weren't too thrilled at the outset, but they are currently crawling and nibbling on them as though it is the only perch they have ever had.

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
Just managed to pick up another bag of the Roudybush crumbles and 3 of the rope perches in 3 different sizes, to be swapped out as fancy dictates, this bank card draining trip was sponsored by our very own Laurasea! They weren't too thrilled at the outset, but they are currently crawling and nibbling on them as though it is the only perch they have ever had.

That's great! Levi didn't take to the RB. I eventually gave it to my local resident birds outside. 🐦

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house

Great!!!! Now if only they would chomp on those leafy green!!! What are you cooking tonight? I'm so beyond impressed that cook your own food on the road!!

OP

18WheelsOfSteel

Jun 26, 2019
Parrots
2 Budgies

Great!!!! Now if only they would chomp on those leafy green!!! What are you cooking tonight? I'm so beyond impressed that cook your own food on the road!!

Tonight is just soup and sammiches, can't get too caught up, sitting on the west side of Chicago waiting for a union run joint to get around to loading me, another one of these "we will make you wait until we feel like it and pay you nothing" kind of joints, but you bet your butt if I was to set up and try to cook they'd want me in there immediately, best part is the city comes through and writes us tickets sometimes because we aren't supposed to park here, but we can't leave until loaded, real gem of a shipper lemme tell ya.

As to leafy greens? I think I need to find a food processor or something to chop up bits real fine, they just don't dig big hacked up leaves, they eat everything I give them as long as it's manageable size for them, never had a tough time with chop, or changing pellets, they don't fear new toys very long, about 5 minutes, same with perches, yanked the dowel out, installed 2 of the ropes, and five minutes later, no problem...must be my just desserts for going bald at 19 and having Satan and his chief demon for step kids...I got good fids lol.

I think the best meal I ever cooked me and a few guys leased to my company all got stuck for Thanksgiving near Sturgis SD, and they were bumming hard that we weren't going to get a good turkey supper, so I made a turkey, brussel sprouts, homemade stuffing, and sweet potatoes on the truck, picked up a veggie platter, a case of beer and some rolls/cranberry sauce and we all watched the Cowboys beat up the Redskins having a blast on the end of the flatbed, was a pretty good time for being stuck in the middle of nowhere.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I think the best meal I ever cooked me and a few guys leased to my company all got stuck for Thanksgiving near Sturgis SD, and they were bumming hard that we weren't going to get a good turkey supper, so I made a turkey, brussel sprouts, homemade stuffing, and sweet potatoes on the truck, picked up a veggie platter, a case of beer and some rolls/cranberry sauce and we all watched the Cowboys beat up the Redskins having a blast on the end of the flatbed, was a pretty good time for being stuck in the middle of nowhere.

Camaraderie is what you make of a potentially lonely situation!!

OP

18WheelsOfSteel

Jun 26, 2019
Parrots
2 Budgies
0600, still sitting in the bay, got overloaded and apparently some fancy pants college boy has to bless us with his presence at 0500 (Yes, he is very late, and he is not at all going to enjoy our conversation whenever he finally decides to show up) in the office to take a bundle off, and because apparently human communication between employees here is impossible, I keep getting woke up every half hour or so to be asked why I am still in the bay, grand total of about 3 hours of sleep tonight, anybody still thinking this is a fun way to live? Lol, birdies were tired, at least they are getting a decent night of sleep.

Also just realized I hadn't mentioned bath time for the birdies, they have a red topped spray bottle of bottled water they get sprayed with every few days, and a "Catit" water fountain that they haven't really warmed up to, but then they haven't really taken to exploring off of the top bunk until recently, and I can't really manage a power cord up there at the moment, eventually I hope to get them off the spray bottle and onto the fountain.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Budgie like light, if they aren't exploring a certain place add more light.
Good morning! Sorry you are waiting on Fancy Pants lol
Hope you have a great latte!! ( I made my own just a moment ago as we from 91 degrees to like 45 brrrrrr , I'm sure we should maybe get to 70 I have heat on!!! Dogs and birds shivering so I'm not the only wimp in the house!
PS you need to add a signature!

OP

18WheelsOfSteel

Jun 26, 2019
Parrots
2 Budgies
Budgie like light, if they aren't exploring a certain place add more light.
Good morning! Sorry you are waiting on Fancy Pants lol
Hope you have a great latte!! ( I made my own just a moment ago as we from 91 degrees to like 45 brrrrrr , I'm sure we should maybe get to 70 I have heat on!!! Dogs and birds shivering so I'm not the only wimp in the house!
PS you need to add a signature!

Oh he finally strolled up at around 0630 or so, and proceeds to tell me "Oh, those weights are wrong, you are good to go." New accomplishment for me today, made a dude cry, and am no longer welcome here, turns out everything worked out swimmingly! No latte for me, I am going to do some hot chocolate after I finish strapping, I feel like I deserve the reward for making him cry, could only have been better if I could have caught some in a vial lol.

OP

18WheelsOfSteel

Jun 26, 2019
Parrots
2 Budgies
Well, I would say both birds are getting decidedly more comfortable with me, last night upon parking in Sioux Falls SD, I let them out for about an hour and a half, I fixed some mac and cheese and let them do their customary exploration of the upper bunk, and Belle decided about 2 minutes in to come see what dad was up to, she supervised mac and cheese prep from on my hat, and Beau watched closely from the ground level to make sure I mixed the right amount of water and noodles in my microwavable cooker, after supper they watched an episode of Anderton's TV with me, they seemed fascinated by the show, this may become a regular thing. Then I laid down when they flew up to the play stand for a bit, watching a documentary on dire wolves, and out of nowhere Belle flies down onto my hand on the bottom bunk...this is the first time that has ever happened, I am excited about it, but it does mean no more naps for me while birds are out of cage, don't want to post another nap time tragedy thread, I will have some pictures up soon.

Most Reactions

Latest posts