Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
In my recent post about a new, or rediscovered Blue Macaw, the Lear's Macaw, I reported that the population in their native, very remote, very segregated range went from like 60 to an estimated 1100 individuals, which is great news, right? This video below shows the other side of the coin, how farmers feel with increased depredation of their crops by the macaws. You can guess maybe how it goes.

Always a point of contention when man and parrot live in close proximity. What's your take on, or solution, to the problem presented?

[ame="https://youtu.be/C2X6xxHmPZg"]https://youtu.be/C2X6xxHmPZg[/ame]
C2X6xxHmPZg

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Conservation has its downsides especially with one species replaces another in a very small land mass. The growth of Eco-tourism had true merit until the monster virus shutdown tourism.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Ideally the farmers would tolerate a bit of loss in exchange for conservation betterment. I concede that is an easy statement to make from afar, unaware of economic hardships faced by farmers and families.

Cardinal

Jul 1, 2014
India
Parrots
Currently I have none, but I have the capacity to adopt a minimum and maximum of two budgies - preferably a bonded pair or two males.
We Human beings have collectively solved seemingly insurmountable problems when we have put our heart and minds together. I do not personally see this as something so challenging.

Only people on the ground can actually solve it but I see farmers can be persuaded to grow another crop- a non food crop or build some alternate skills and take up jobs in urban areas. Easier said than done.

India has a human population greater than the continents of North America and South America put together. Yet only 2 bird species have known to go extinct in the last 200 years.

I firmly believe we can save all Bird species that are currently there and allow them to thrive and expand too with a bit of creativity and lot of sacrifice.

:blue::blue::blue::blue::blue::blue::blue:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
We Human beings have collectively solved seemingly insurmountable problems when we have put our heart and minds together. I do not personally see this as something so challenging.

Only people on the ground can actually solve it but I see farmers can be persuaded to grow another crop- a non food crop or build some alternate skills and take up jobs in urban areas. Easier said than done.

India has a human population greater than the continents of North America and South America put together. Yet only 2 bird species have known to go extinct in the last 200 years.

I firmly believe we can save all Bird species that are currently there and allow them to thrive and expand too with a bit of creativity and lot of sacrifice.

:blue::blue::blue::blue::blue::blue::blue:

^^^^Very well stated!!^^^^

Most Reactions

Latest posts