The truth behind grapefruit seed extract.

Jtbirds

Banned
Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
You really are not suppose to use it in the water as it does little to nothing it is used to clean as a naturally cleaner.. So the use you are describing is already the wrong one. Ive heard of people useing it in water but it is to no benefit at all( they say to keep the waters cleaner, pretty much dont feel like washing them a lot...) GSE is used to clean toys and cages and so on and thats what is meant for in the parrot world not use as an additive in water.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
I agree that GSE is not the wonder product that many think it is.....if it was, the couple of little manufacturers would be major companies rather than the little peddlers they are.....

Last edited:

ShellyBorg

Apr 8, 2013
Redding, CA
Parrots
TAG Spirit,RLA Danny,Senegal Damon, Parrotlet Opal, B&G Paris
OMG do not make your parrots drink GSE!!! They will drink as little as possible as it is gross!!! This may cause kidney issues. I have tasted it and there is not much that is nastier. As a cage cleaner it is great, will kill any nasty bugs.

Zazoothehahns

Apr 5, 2013
Ok, just to clarify, is it effective to use as a safe cage and toy cleaner or are there more effective, safer options?

ShellyBorg

Apr 8, 2013
Redding, CA
Parrots
TAG Spirit,RLA Danny,Senegal Damon, Parrotlet Opal, B&G Paris
As a cleaner it is great. I use it to clean my kitchen cutting boards.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Whatever happened to hot water and regular soap?

A recentstudy by the University of Michigan’s School of Public Health has determined that our advertising & media driven frenzy for cleanliness & sanitization may really be harming us and if it is harming us, there surely has to be a trickle down effect on the animals we are stewards of…..

Among other things, the U of M investigators studied is Triclosan, the primary ingredient in many antibacterial and antifungal products and is a chemical compound used in antibacterial soaps, toothpaste, pens, diaper bags and medical devices, along with Bisphenol A, found in a lot of consumer plastics, as well as a protective lining in food cans.

Also, all of our mopping, sweeping, air freshening, and spray cleaning could actually increase your risk of allergies and asthma. Research has shown young children who aren’t exposed to allergens and germs in their early years face a higher risk of developing asthma and allergies later in life. One study of Amish children who live and work on farms, published in the Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, suggested that early-life exposure to allergens may prevent the immune system from developing allergies. It’s not the first to make such a connection.

Dr. James M. Steckelberg of the Mayo Clinic has written that “research has shown that triclosan:
·Alters hormone regulation in animals
·Might contribute to the development of antibiotic-resistant germs
·Might be harmful to the immune system…”

So, are we sanitizing out the ability of our companion animals’ to withstand and/or ward off viruses & diseases?

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
Thanks Weco,

This is something I have believed in for quite a while.
Regular hot water and soap, vinegar and or lemon do sufficient jobs of cleaning. When I feel I need to sanitize something a little more I use Bleach(out of birdies air space of course)

I stay away from anti bacterial products for the reasons you have stated and more and more doctors are agreeing with this.
The only time I would use anything more than that is if I were to buy used cage and need it sterilized. I would use medical/vet grade to be sure.
Only my opinion, but my son, my family and my pets have always been in excellent health.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Sadly, GSE is still commonly recommended and used by people not only in parrots water but also in sprouts. There is a possibility that a senegal parrot get a fungal infection because his owner was using too much GSE in the water to make sure that the sprouts grew without getting contaminated. If used at the recommended amount, it might not have been an issue... (but this info can't be confirmed) many people use GSE in their birds water without problems. I no longer trust it... good for cleaning, but not to be used in birds water and in cleaning their foods.

What I'm interested in is the difference between two specific products that are both labeled as "GSE"...

GrapeFRUIT Seed Extract
Grape SEED Extract

When I questioned someone (somewhere...) about the use of grapefruit seed extract, they said it was grape seed extract, not grapefruit.

Jtbirds

Banned
Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
Monica I had the same issue when I went to purchase it awhile back... There is a lot I feel like we don't know about the extracts so I shy clear of them honestly.

OP
W

wjgonzalez

Apr 9, 2013
You can continue to use GSE, if you like, to clean cages, etc.. But most have standard chemical antiseptics as additives, so you might as well use a cheaper, commercial cleaner. Nothing special about "GSE." They are basically scams.

OP
W

wjgonzalez

Apr 9, 2013
Grape seed extract is something completely different. It is sold as a dietary supplement.

Most Reactions