Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I have been about 75% sure Merlin is a boy. I have quite a bit of video of his
hormonal behavior But I have been very unsure of Luna.

Until now.
Luna is a girl (90% sure).
I have seen short bits of behavior (just a few seconds) that made me thing she is a girl but it's over almost before I notice it.

This time it went on long enough to get it on video.
Unfortunately Luna is in the back behind Merlin and you cant see her posture.
She shifted her position as I was getting my iPad camera on line. If you could see her body you could see her with her back flat. You need to turn your sound up.

Apparently Merlin doesn't know what to do:rolleyes:

[ame="https://youtu.be/ZzguF2U7TkA"]Luna mating behavior - YouTube[/ame]

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I have been guess for years and find that my percentage of being correct sucks! So, I have long ago, elected to just give way to DNA testing. It is far more accurate that I had been in the past.

Sexual behavior can begin early, but being successful is more an art and the female can choose based on which side she allows him to mount. With all the ritual it's a wonder they are successful.

She is encouraging him. Save up bottle can return money and get them DNA tested. It will at least comfort your mind. FYI: They both already know! :D

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
The strange thing is I have had Luna longer than Merlin.

I got Luna in Dec of 2017 as near as I can remember. I always thought she was hatched that year.

I got Merlin in August the next year.

This is the first time I have seen full blown hormonal behavior from Luna. Merlin has been a bit crazy for months.

I have had a mated pair of amazons before (in Pacho and Plumas) and watched there behavior. I see almost exactly same behavior from Luna as Pacho.

Merlin... He doesn't know what to do. I have a fair amount of video of him.
The high stepping walk is a bit different from Plumas's displays but the fluffed out feathers on his torso and the wild look in his eyes are a match for what I remember of Plumas.

The only bird I have now that I am not completely sure of gender is Bella.
Bella's Body language is completely different

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
as " possibly " having a girl girl pair......
I second getting a DNA test.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Years ago my friend Mariann lived with me for a spell and she had Shainna,a twenty-something DYH known-to-be female (laid a couple eggs) that would squat down,ruffle her clothes and wiggle that butt during "that" time of year :rolleyes:
Boy did it drive Amy bonkers! This was before I knew Amy was male...the fire in his eyes!
DNA testing is the only way to know for sure of course.

Jim

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I have been about 75% sure Merlin is a boy. I have quite a bit of video of his
hormonal behavior But I have been very unsure of Luna.

Until now.
Luna is a girl (90% sure).
I have seen short bits of behavior (just a few seconds) that made me thing she is a girl but it's over almost before I notice it.

This time it went on long enough to get it on video.
Unfortunately Luna is in the back behind Merlin and you cant see her posture.
She shifted her position as I was getting my iPad camera on line. If you could see her body you could see her with her back flat. You need to turn your sound up.

Apparently Merlin doesn't know what to do:rolleyes:

Luna mating behavior - YouTube

This is what Pikachu did over the weekend! I conure Luna probably a girl.
But prior to that everything pikachu dud pointed boy to me!

"I have had a mated pair of amazons before (in Pacho and Plumas) and watched there behavior. I see almost exactly same behavior from Luna as Pacho."

See i has male DNA Neptune and he bonded to female GCC Ta-dah. So I observed lot of behavior. And that made me think Pikachu was a boy.......But Neptune did not need help figuring out how to be a boy he bred Ta-dah all the time......
But if Merlin isn't jumping on that, then Merlin might also be a girl.

Animal Genetics was the first and my go to DNA testing, it cost 35 bucks total for both of my birds. They are quick and send a certificate. They are who I have always used. My re sent out I used IQ Genetics, $ 11.50, no certificate sent out, but csn print your own. They were very very slow, but claimed it was slow mail service....so...?
Both can run on 5 plucked chest feathers, or toe nail clipped blood on a sheet of paper

Last edited:
OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
If I have the gender wrong it’s with Merlin.

I would give it a 70% chance he is a boy.

When Luna is acting out her hormones Merlin holds his foot out in Luna’s direction.
Sometimes it is intended as a “stay away from me” motion.
But sometimes he try’s to step up onto her. And the crowd goes wild (well Luna gets even more amped up).

It’s still early days.
I like trying to figure things out by watching behavior.
When couples are having children some want to know in advance the gender of the child and some don’t.

Wes

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Oh I got a lesson in behavior , my lesson was I was wrong...lol

Tho Pikachu hadn't pulled the behavior Luna did until right before I got the DNA test back.

I was reading breeding parrots stuff . And one said if you have birds pair up, and one lays eggs, then you know that one is a girl lol! Unless the eggs are fertile..

I fall into the I want to know. If any future burds in need find me, I will test right away.

Wishing you Merlin is a boy if yiu are wanting to breed.

Most Reactions