The Very Good news and the Very Bad News

OP
T

TheSpoiledReckless

Apr 7, 2016
New England
Parrots
Bonnie-rescued orange-winged Amazon
Darwin-my baby girl, pineapple green cheek conure, also a rescue. RIP Darwin, dearly missed
Kiwi and Damon, the devilish lovebird twins
Charlie-Umbrella Cockatoo,
I just went and checked and found that you are right. I'm quite disappointed as I really wanted to get a caique from him (they are illegal in my current state so it will be at least 2 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh no! Caiques have a great reputation, I've always wanted to meet one of those little clowns. I hope your state legalizes them soon, they seem like a great addition to any experienced owner's flock.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
I just went and checked and found that you are right. I'm quite disappointed as I really wanted to get a caique from him (they are illegal in my current state so it will be at least 2 years.

Oh no! Caiques have a great reputation, I've always wanted to meet one of those little clowns. I hope your state legalizes them soon, they seem like a great addition to any experienced owner's flock.

I currently live in Hawaii and they are illegal for a good reason. However I'll only be here for 1-2 more years. I have wanted a caique for about 15 years now and I'm determined to wait until the timing is right.

CDavis

Aug 7, 2016
North Carolina
Parrots
Goose: Yellowsided Greencheek Conure
Dobby: Turquoise GCC
Bonkers: RLA
I have a question of my own. Why do people prefer cockatoos over macaws the macaws just seem like an upgraded cockatoo. They are less needy they are big they don't have the horrifying nuerotic issues that cockatoos have macaws aren't dusty and they are about the same when it comes to destroying stuff and they love to cuddle(depending on the bird) . So what is it that makes a cockatoo more appealing than a macaw because a Greenwing macaw seems perfect for this particular situation.

Teknogeddon

Aug 13, 2016
Alabama
Parrots
Chasca - Hahns Macaw
So what is it that makes a cockatoo more appealing than a macaw because a Greenwing macaw seems perfect for this particular situation.

It's the hat. Cockatoos have a cool feathered hat.
swag_bird_by_teknogeddon-dajim1d.png

(Macaws are love. Macaws are life.)​

I do support the fact that a macaw may be better suited. If you had a conure, you already know what the macaw personality is like. Conures are like teeny tiny macaws. Pantagonians Conures and Hahns Macaws get put in the opposite brackets all the time, due to the similarities of conures to macaws. Now make it bigger- boom you've got a greenwing.

I wouldn't say they're super easier to care for, but they do seem to have less problems than a cockatoo for someone who has some depression issues. I guess it's a preference thing, but I've seen more therapy-macs than therapy-toos on the forum.

PS: I have depression and anxiety. So sorry for your loss but bless you for trying to work through it. It's manageable. It gets easier in time.

Last edited:

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
I have a question of my own. Why do people prefer cockatoos over macaws the macaws just seem like an upgraded cockatoo. They are less needy they are big they don't have the horrifying nuerotic issues that cockatoos have macaws aren't dusty and they are about the same when it comes to destroying stuff and they love to cuddle(depending on the bird) . So what is it that makes a cockatoo more appealing than a macaw because a Greenwing macaw seems perfect for this particular situation.

I know you probably mean well
And are just honestly curious, but this question feels quite abrasive to me. I'm not a cockatoo or macaw owner but even I have enough experience with them to know their personalities are quite different and someone who loves and wants one will not find the other to be "just as good" and I CERTAINLY do not believe ANY parrot is an "upgrade" from another. I know you probably didn't mean anything by it, but that phrasing really got my back up :(

A lot of people talk this way about cockatiels and Conures; like, why with all the dust, lack of color, high pitched whistle, chronic egg laying, etc, why wouldn't I just go with a beautiful Conure instead? Similar size, fewer issues...

And the answer is because I LOVE COCKATIELS and a conure is NOT the same thing, or even close, no matter how similar they sound on paper (I love Conures too, but they are not the same).

It may be that the OP would be a great match for a macaw, but really she (he?) is the only one who can really make that call. Again, I know you probably weren't trying to be rude, and I hope I was able to answer your question.

CDavis

Aug 7, 2016
North Carolina
Parrots

I know you probably mean well
And are just honestly curious, but this question feels quite abrasive to me. I'm not a cockatoo or macaw owner but even I have enough experience with them to know their personalities are quite different and someone who loves and wants one will not find the other to be "just as good" and I CERTAINLY do not believe ANY parrot is an "upgrade" from another. I know you probably didn't mean anything by it, but that phrasing really got my back up :(

A lot of people talk this way about cockatiels and Conures; like, why with all the dust, lack of color, high pitched whistle, chronic egg laying, etc, why wouldn't I just go with a beautiful Conure instead? Similar size, fewer issues...

And the answer is because I LOVE COCKATIELS and a conure is NOT the same thing, or even close, no matter how similar they sound on paper (I love Conures too, but they are not the same).

It may be that the OP would be a great match for a macaw, but really she (he?) is the only one who can really make that call. Again, I know you probably weren't trying to be rude, and I hope I was able to answer your question.

I am very Sorry I hurt your feelings but as you said you haven't owned either and I really would like this question answered so Let me rephrase my question because my first one seems a little poorly worded.
Macaws sound a lot easier to take care of than a cockatoo and share many of the same traits. what are the pros to owning a cockatoo that macaws don't offer because from my point of view it looks like you are putting in a lot more work for a slightly more snuggley bird.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
I haven't owned either, but I have many friends who do, and I interact with both on a regular basis. The answer to your question is that they are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT, even if the summaries listed online make it sound that they are pretty much the same.

The personalities are entirely unique. What makes anyone prefer one species over another? The unique traits that are a good match for us. I'm not saying the OP shouldn't consider other options, just that the two are vastly different, not slightly different as you seem to suggest.

Puck

Mar 8, 2015
I haven't owned either, but I have many friends who do, and I interact with both on a regular basis. The answer to your question is that they are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT, even if the summaries listed online make it sound that they are pretty much the same.

The personalities are entirely unique. What makes anyone prefer one species over another? The unique traits that are a good match for us. I'm not saying the OP shouldn't consider other options, just that the two are vastly different, not slightly different as you seem to suggest.

I definitely agree--I think all parrots are this way. There is just something so unique about all of them! Quakers are my favorite small bird, and I can't even tell you WHY I prefer them to GCCs or Cockatiels or other smaller guys. There's just something about their fun personality that attracts me! Macaws and Cockatoos are very different birds, their large size being one of the few things they have in common, and I've never been fond of people picking a bird based on their size rather than other qualities. I think if someone really loves cockatoos and knows a ton about birds then they can most definitely provide a good home, but I also agree that people should think hard before making that decision. I kind of like to compare it to making the decision to buy a horse. I ride horses and when you buy a horse you know it is going to be a TON of work and a TON of money for a very, very, very long time. No one expects it to be easy to take care of horses unless you're willing to pay a couple thousand dollars a month for other people to do all the work for you (that on top of the vet bills, because there are ALWAYS vet bills, and tons of feed bills). I just think people should consider having a bird more like having a horse rather than, say, a dog. They're just tougher animals, no matter what kind of bird they are. But I wouldn't encourage someone to get a macaw over a cockatoo, mostly because I wouldn't encourage most people to get a macaw! There are AMAZING parronts here on the forum who have created wonderful homes for very difficult to manage birds, but what do you expect on a parrot online forum? Of course we have amazing parronts here! Your average, normal person would not find the kind of happiness the parrot obsessees here find in a macaw or a cockatoo.

But if a cockatoo is what the OP really wants, it seems like you're making the right moves by meeting some before you get one and talking to other owners. I am super, super sorry about the tragedy with your feathered kiddo, and I hope you form a great bond with the new member of the flock!

Last edited:

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Exactly. I had Quakers as a kid. I loved them, but I will probably never get another (though I am tempted every time I see a blue one!). Green Cheeked Conures on the other hand, I love! What's the difference? Some might say noise, but that's not the reason... it's just the unique indescribable traits of each.

CDavis

Aug 7, 2016
North Carolina
Parrots

Thanks I guess the flaw is that I have spent a ton of time with macaws and not too much time with the toos but I see where your coming from I guess I will have to keep an eyes open to try and meet some cockatoos to pull me into the cockatoo world

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Not necessarily. Maybe you are just not a cockatoo person :) we all have our favorites for a reason. I'm just saying they are incredibly different.

Teknogeddon

Aug 13, 2016
Alabama
Parrots
Chasca - Hahns Macaw
I always find perspective to be such an interesting thing, regardless of topic.

To the poor and unfortunate, robin hood was a hero.
To the rich and privileged, robin hood was a traitorous thief. A jerk really.

I'm just a new world parrot person myself. 'Tiels are the cutest in the old world parrot category to me, but even then i'm not rushing out to own one. Like cockatoos I find them adorable, but prefer them at a distance, not just because of my allergies. I'm content watching videos, despite having met more cockatoos than macaws.

Put a or conure or parrotlet in front of me and I'll gush over it. Dunno what it is. Cockatoos have a fancy hat and macaws have fancy tails.

Anywat, what I really don't understand about this whole thread is this:
Why not another conure?

I understand the feeling of not wanting to replace the one they lost, but if you're already accustomed to a conure- why not a conure again? There's so many species to choose from in that family alone. Pantagonians, Nandays, Jendays or Sun conures would be a completely different change without a lifestyle switch either. Bigger, more talkative, and you already know what kind of personality you're getting into. It would be a striking enough difference it wouldn't feel like a "replacement" or "Substitute" and yet similar enough the existing bird may warm up faster. A macaw is a bigger conure, which is probably where cDavis is coming from. If you want to use the same cage or close to that - a mini mac would do fine. They're just a touch bigger than a sun conure.

It's up to you OP, but that's my two cents. I do like those feathery hats, but I share many concerns that have been shared before me. I feel a member of the branch your beloved conure was from would be a better fit, as you're missing that specific behavior right now. Parakeets, macaws, conures, and the other new world parrots fit that bill- but a cockatoo is an old world parrot with completely different traits and mannerisms.

As a part of mourning, you probably want to distance yourself from what reminds you of the hurt. I do understand how you feel. You're crushed, you're hurt, and you probably have a lingering sense of failure, like you betrayed your friend. [REF: "without her the world suddenly feels very empty."]

Heed this warning, I really hope you read it and understand what I'm trying to say: If you fill the "Space" with another bird that isn't what you want in the long run because you're distancing yourself from it out of regret, you could feel worse in the future. Just make sure it's what YOU want, and not what you're compelled to get because others helped or said so. [ REF: " Which is why my therapist, mother and several other people made the decision to buy a baby umbrella cockatoo"]

No matter what you choose, this is something to consider. Maybe take some more time before you head into a new baby. You did say this all happened last week, so pace yourself a bit. No one will judge you either way, and no matter what you choose. You did say you wanted advice, that's mine.

I hope I don't sound too preachy. It's coming with good intentions I promise. One person with anxiepression to another. It's a mistake I've made before, not with pets but with other things.

sonja

Jul 31, 2012
I will add my voice to the chorus of concern about the choice of a U2. I have 30 years of experience with many different types of large parrots, I'm in a stable job and single family home that I'll live in forever. Heck I even have 2 M2s that I adore. But last week I was asked to take a perfectly well adjusted U2 and I had to say no. I don't think I can meet her needs to keep her well adjusted for the next 40 years until I die.

Again, not trying to sound harsh, just joining others in expressing concern about the species chosen.
Best wishes.

OP
T

TheSpoiledReckless

Apr 7, 2016
New England
Parrots
Darwin-my baby girl, pineapple green cheek conure, also a rescue. RIP Darwin, dearly missed
I put down the deposit for my baby today, he arrives next Sunday. I did not want 'a bigger macaw' since parrots are so long lived I didn't want an upgrade, I wanted to try something new all together since I would never have the opportunity to get a new parrot again (this is it for parrots in my life, my lovebirds are getting old and my amazon was neglected most of her life before I got her and is also older, it is unlikely she will live the long lifespan a healthy amazon would live. Hopefully the good diet and vet care she recieves now will elongate her life.)and I have always had an adoration for the cockatoos. The umbrellas in particular. I am not alone, my mother is into parrots as well and plans to be just as involved as I am. I have already cleared out space for him, reorganized all bird supplies (eighty percent of my bedroom belongs to the birds, haha) to make room and make caring for the baby much easier. I am making more plans for caring for him, who cares for him if I am gone. He has officially been named Charlie. I have no plans to dorm at college, I live with my mother to save money to go to college (the cockatoo is a gift from family after Darwin's death) so I will not be suddenly leaving. When I leave for my own place I will be taking Charlie and Bonnie with me, as it is unlikely that my lovebirds or my two elderly cats will be with me by then.

Puck

Mar 8, 2015
Well it certainly sounds like you have the plans all worked out! I look forward to seeing pictures of Charlie when he comes home next week!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Gotta admire resolve, so bravo to you. Charlie it is and a U2 'twill be. Long and healthy lives for you both!

OP
T

TheSpoiledReckless

Apr 7, 2016
New England
Parrots
Well it certainly sounds like you have the plans all worked out! I look forward to seeing pictures of Charlie when he comes home next week!

Gladly! I'm excited to see pictures of him too. I saw pictures of the u2s on the breeders site and I know one of them is my Charlie boy, but no way to tell which until the breeder emails me personal pictures of him tomorrow. Me and my mother spent the day telling Bonnie and the lovebirds all about their new brother and spoiling them with the huge petco toy and treat haul I picked up yesterday. They don't know what's going on, the lovies will be upset but Bonnie loves company and will be excited to meet her little brother.

OP
T

TheSpoiledReckless

Apr 7, 2016
New England
Parrots
Gotta admire resolve, so bravo to you. Charlie it is and a U2 'twill be. Long and healthy lives for you both!

Thank you! A long life indead, haha. I love Salty, he is such a little cutie. Reminds me a bit of my Bonnie Bird, though Bonnie tends to be very quiet and reserved most of the time.

OP
T

TheSpoiledReckless

Apr 7, 2016
New England
Parrots
I know the first year of Charlie's life will be super important in establishing good habits and avoid bad behaviors. Does anyone have any tips on making sure this year of life goes smoothly so we can enjoy our life together? I know a parrot will scream, and there is no avoiding eventually getting a bite and I am EXTREMELY aware that a parrot will chew. What can I do to keep these and other behaviors managable so we can enjoy one another's company.

Puck

Mar 8, 2015
I know the first year of Charlie's life will be super important in establishing good habits and avoid bad behaviors. Does anyone have any tips on making sure this year of life goes smoothly so we can enjoy our life together? I know a parrot will scream, and there is no avoiding eventually getting a bite and I am EXTREMELY aware that a parrot will chew. What can I do to keep these and other behaviors managable so we can enjoy one another's company.

Learn to adore the inherent artistic beauty of gnawed-to-pieces woodworking and learn American Sign Language? :18::p I am quite good with the basics of ASL if you accidentally burst your eardrums one day.

Most Reactions