The Very Good news and the Very Bad News

Teknogeddon

Aug 13, 2016
Alabama
Parrots
Chasca - Hahns Macaw
Socialize Socialize and Socialize. Same advice I've been getting. Bite pressure training, socialize some more, and respect their ability to demolish anything paper or wood. Give Mr. Charlie some outlet to satisfy his chew happy self and not on your fingers. I've heard from the grapevine that stick training is good too, just to be on the safe side when they hit parrot puberty. (I've read some horror stories)

Since it's a 'too you'll have to be careful for plucking problems too, but I don't honestly know too much about that so I'll leave it for someone else to fill in.

Also mind your cookware as you get your own place. I recommend Bialetti. I have the Bialetti Aeternum Revolution myself. It's pretty amazing, wipes clean and no dangerous fumes! :D

Hangry

Jul 12, 2016
I know the first year of Charlie's life will be super important in establishing good habits and avoid bad behaviors. Does anyone have any tips on making sure this year of life goes smoothly so we can enjoy our life together? I know a parrot will scream, and there is no avoiding eventually getting a bite and I am EXTREMELY aware that a parrot will chew. What can I do to keep these and other behaviors managable so we can enjoy one another's company.

Learn to adore the inherent artistic beauty of gnawed-to-pieces woodworking and learn American Sign Language? :18::p I am quite good with the basics of ASL if you accidentally burst your eardrums one day.

Lmao, +1.

Yes! Embrace the "this is why we can't have nice things" rhetoric. I regret the day I decided to drop a couple grand on red leather couches--with shiny brasswork. My U2 was all over these suckers like white on rice.

But really, congratulations on your baby! I don't have any experience with babies, but I've found these videos
https://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=ybvoBKdQ8qY extremely informative, and they've really helped me understand some of my 8yr old male U2's behavior :) Good luck with everything!

Most Reactions