Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Darwin, my Hawk-head, is 31 years old, we got her from a breeder when she was 23. When she came to us she could talk, but only said a few things. She could say Darwin, Hello, and suey. For the 9 years we've had her, that is still all she has ever said.

When our Eclectus and Cockatoo started calling my husband Daddy, I wanted one of the birds, any of the birds to say Mama.
So I say it at least 30 times a day when talking to the birds. I was sure that Justice, my CAG, would pick it up, and I thought that Talli might.

This has gone on for months. Nothing.
Until last week that is. I finally hear "Mama" and look around and it was Darwin! It's the first word she has ever learned since she's been with us, and that made this so much more special. She now says it all the time, and it makes me smile every time.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Darwin, my Hawk-head, is 31 years old, we got her from a breeder when she was 23. When she came to us she could talk, but only said a few things. She could say Darwin, Hello, and suey. For the 9 years we've had her, that is still all she has ever said.

When our Eclectus and Cockatoo started calling my husband Daddy, I wanted one of the birds, any of the birds to say Mama.
So I say it at least 30 times a day when talking to the birds. I was sure that Justice, my CAG, would pick it up, and I thought that Talli might.

Until last week that is. I finally hear "Mama" and look around and it was Darwin! It's the first word she has ever learned since she's been with us, and that made this so much more special. She now says it all the time, and it makes me smile every time.
So sweet! We NEED Darwin pics, hawkheads are so pretty!

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I only have these pics on my computer:

This was her first time stepping up.

stepup.jpg

A friend made this for me:)

darallee.jpg

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)

Oh that must've been such a lovely surprise, Terry! And in her sweet voice too ❀️ Good girlie, Darwin!!

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
My Yellow nape Says my Wife’s name and usually says it when he wants her attention.
She knows that the name and person are connected.

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days

awwwwwwwwwwwwww thats so SWEET!!! I am melting so much

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Oh that must've been such a lovely surprise, Terry! And in her sweet voice too ❀️ Good girlie, Darwin!!
I was so shocked! And you're right, in that sweet voice of hers it couldn't have been more precious:)

awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm going to go back to trying to get any of mine to say my name lol
Definitely keep trying and I'm sure one of the is going to surprise you one day!

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
Kinda reminds me of sky when sky wants a treat she screams for it :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
My Yellow nape Says my Wife’s name and usually says it when he wants her attention.
She knows that the name and person are connected.
It's funny how they absolutely do know that the name and person are connected.
I was so wanting someone, anyone to say I love you, so I said that so many times.
Charley the 'Too started saying it, but only when my husband was in the room.
One morning I walked in and Charley said "I love you!" I was thrilled and hurried over with a treat and started to say I love you too when he shouted "Daddy!"
I totally believe he wanted me to know that the I love you was not meant for me.
Reg's name is Daddy, and my name is Boy. Lol

awwwwwwwwwwwwww thats so SWEET!!! I am melting so much
I melt every time she says it:)

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Despite the fact that Bingo is completely bonded to me he calls me Michael (my Sons name).
When I leave the room calls of ”Michael” follow me at varying volume and tone (longer time away the louder and more….insitant).

He does know my name (Wes) and says it occasionall.

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Despite the fact that Bingo is completely bonded to me he calls me Michael (my Sons name).
When I leave the room calls of ”Michael” follow me at varying volume and tone (longer time away the louder and more….insitant).

He does know my name (Wes) and says it occasionall.
Haha, he must think that your name should have been Michael. So funny that that is harder to say than Wes.

Not a single bird says my name, but I don't say my name to them, I think I should see what happens if I do.

Justice calls me "Girrrrl", I'm good with that.
Slater calls me by his given name by the last people who had him, which is a***ole. He used to say it hatefully, but as I mentioned in another thread he now says it in a crooning voice.

I'd love to hear everyone's stories about how their birds use their language, I find it so interesting. So please share!

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Pippen is French. She says oui oui (Wee-wee). She is always saying yes throughout the whole day. I don't know who taught her that, as I don't know anyone who speaks French.

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Pippen is French. She says oui oui (Wee-wee). She is always saying yes throughout the whole day. I don't know who taught her that, as I don't know anyone who speaks French.
That's so cool! Reg is French, I bet he could get some of them speaking it. That's all I would need are birds speaking to me in a language I'm not smart enough to learn.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
That's so cool! Reg is French, I bet he could get some of them speaking it. That's all I would need are birds speaking to me in a language I'm not smart enough to learn.
Cool! I was kinda joking about her being French though, as she can only say yes.

I want to know though... what does REEEE mean in French? Maybe your husband knows.

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Cool! I was kinda joking about her being French though, as she can only say yes.

I want to know though... what does REEEE mean in French? Maybe your husband knows.
Haha, I have no idea, I'll ask him...I wonder if it means no? LOL

Most Reactions

Latest posts