Thinking of our Australian members

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Coming in late on this thread, but thank you all so much for your good thoughts and wishes! The fires are burning and growing and amalgamating in some places to form 'megablazes', the size of which have never been recorded before. I live in Newcastle, NSW, at the mouth of the Hunter River. One of the longest-burning fires is the Wollemi National Park fire, which is sightly to the west and north of us. The Wollemi National Park contains the only known stand of Wollemi Pine, a living fossil discovered in 1994. It's related to the Monkeypuzzle and Norfolk Island 'Pine' trees and the location of the small canyon where the trees were found has been kept secret for all these years in an effort to protect them from thieves. Looks like Mother Nature has other ideas. The Wollemi pines could well be one of the species extinguished this year. :(

The koalas are a huge worry! They're very specific in where and how they live: you can't just pick one up and put it somewhere else for safety. This means that whole areas have been stripped entirely of their wildlife, most notably the slow-moving ones like the koalas and other smaller marsupials. There's a koala-bearing area just north of where I live and it's been thankfully spared from burning so far, having burned a few years ago during the last local drought. The sight of the burned and wounded koalas being helped by wildlife carers is absolutely heartbreaking and a staggering number have been injured or killed. So far.

While most of the huge fires are further inland, the smoke and ash is being sucked/blown down the river valleys to the coast. This means that places like Newcastle and Sydney haven't seen the sky in weeks because of the thick smoke. It's awful! I wound up spending a day in hospital because of asthma brought on by the bad air quality. It hasn't improved and neither has my asthma. The sun and moon hang in the sky like big baleful red eyes ('eye of Sauron'), coloured by the fire-smoke. It'll be a relief when the sky goes back to normal again and we can see clouds and flying birds.

For now, I'm keeping strictly indoors and keeping the doors and windows closed against the smoke. My birds are sweltering in the heat and we're working very hard to keep them as cool and as comfortable as we can. I've resorted to draping wet bedsheets over the cages and filling the water containers with ice (which lasts about twenty minutes in the forty degree heat). The wild birds are sitting very, very still in the daytime with feathers pressed hard against their sides, wings raised, beaks open and not flying about much. I've got four bird baths situated about my yard and the birds are certainly using them. I'd put up a sprinkler for them, but water usage is severely restricted at the moment owing to the drought. I'm breaking the law every day when I mist my birds with the garden hose during the heat!

If you do nothing else, please pray or beg the Universe for heavy rain over the whole of Australia! We need it desperately!

PS. Forgot to add: our native vegetation is adapted (though not completely evolved) to cope with a 'fire ecology'. That means many species are adapted to conserve water, to recover from burning, even to set seed or germinate only after burning. Our eucalpytus trees are 'sclerophyllous', which means the leaves are coated with a waxy layer that reduces water loss and protects against sunburn. The leaves hang edge-on to the sun rather than offering their faces to be burned and the heartwood is protected by a deep layer of tissue which allows 'epicormic shooting' to occur after damage (like burning). This is why you can visit a burned area just a few weeks after it was charred and see a wealth of green shooting and renewing the bush. BUT! The heat and extend of these fires is so great, it seems they're burning all the living tissue in the trees to the extent that we may not see the re-shooting phenomenon when the embers have cooled and gone out! The extreme flammability of the eucalyptus oil doesn't help either: once an old man gum tree ignites, the whoosh of exploding fuel can be deafening and it sucks all the oxygen away from the ground, funnelling it upward to feed the resulting flames. This is why Australian fires burn so much more intensely than fires elsewhere.

Fires are threatening Kosciusko National Park (our only alpine area) and the unique plant species found there are under serious threat of extinction. If they burn, they won't regenerate. :( Another unique ecosystem is the southern temperate rainforest, which occurs in tiny pockets down the east coast. These contain many as-yet-unidentified species which are also at extreme risk of extinction if they burn. One such area is the place where my hubby and I spent our honeymoon (Upper Allyn State Forest). This forest contains an enchanting area of native orchids comprising many species. I've spent many happy hours wandering among the ancient trees and sketching or photographing the orchids - the thought of them burning just breaks my heart! :(

Last edited:
OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
When the fires were only just over the hill, around 12kms away, the amount of new species of birds and koalas and other animals that have taken sanctuary on our property is astounding
Red browed Firetails that we have never had before were scared out from the fire, and now have taken residence and enjoy eating all the leftover seed from all the birds so much, they have started to breed
We are very lucky to have a small pocket of koalas on our land, that have all survived from the fires which is nice to see
Thanks
Noah Till

Noah, I am so glad to hear you are safe. I'm also glad that the poor displaced animals and birds have found sanctuary on your property.

Coming in late on this thread, but thank you all so much for your good thoughts and wishes! The fires are burning and growing and amalgamating in some places to form 'megablazes', the size of which have never been recorded before. I live in Newcastle, NSW, at the mouth of the Hunter River. One of the longest-burning fires is the Wollemi National Park fire, which is sightly to the west and north of us. The Wollemi National Park contains the only known stand of Wollemi Pine, a living fossil discovered in 1994. It's related to the Monkeypuzzle and Norfolk Island 'Pine' trees and the location of the small canyon where the trees were found has been kept secret for all these years in an effort to protect them from thieves. Looks like Mother Nature has other ideas. The Wollemi pines could well be one of the species extinguished this year. :(

The koalas are a huge worry! They're very specific in where and how they live: you can't just pick one up and put it somewhere else for safety. This means that whole areas have been stripped entirely of their wildlife, most notably the slow-moving ones like the koalas and other smaller marsupials. There's a koala-bearing area just north of where I live and it's been thankfully spared from burning so far, having burned a few years ago during the last local drought. The sight of the burned and wounded koalas being helped by wildlife carers is absolutely heartbreaking and a staggering number have been injured or killed. So far.

While most of the huge fires are further inland, the smoke and ash is being sucked/blown down the river valleys to the coast. This means that places like Newcastle and Sydney haven't seen the sky in weeks because of the thick smoke. It's awful! I wound up spending a day in hospital because of asthma brought on by the bad air quality. It hasn't improved and neither has my asthma. The sun and moon hang in the sky like big baleful red eyes ('eye of Sauron'), coloured by the fire-smoke. It'll be a relief when the sky goes back to normal again and we can see clouds and flying birds.

For now, I'm keeping strictly indoors and keeping the doors and windows closed against the smoke. My birds are sweltering in the heat and we're working very hard to keep them as cool and as comfortable as we can. I've resorted to draping wet bedsheets over the cages and filling the water containers with ice (which lasts about twenty minutes in the forty degree heat). The wild birds are sitting very, very still in the daytime with feathers pressed hard against their sides, wings raised, beaks open and not flying about much. I've got four bird baths situated about my yard and the birds are certainly using them. I'd put up a sprinkler for them, but water usage is severely restricted at the moment owing to the drought. I'm breaking the law every day when I mist my birds with the garden hose during the heat!

If you do nothing else, please pray or beg the Universe for heavy rain over the whole of Australia! We need it desperately!

PS. Forgot to add: our native vegetation is adapted (though not completely evolved) to cope with a 'fire ecology'. That means many species are adapted to conserve water, to recover from burning, even to set seed or germinate only after burning. Our eucalpytus trees are 'sclerophyllous', which means the leaves are coated with a waxy layer that reduces water loss and protects against sunburn. The leaves hang edge-on to the sun rather than offering their faces to be burned and the heartwood is protected by a deep layer of tissue which allows 'epicormic shooting' to occur after damage (like burning). This is why you can visit a burned area just a few weeks after it was charred and see a wealth of green shooting and renewing the bush. BUT! The heat and extend of these fires is so great, it seems they're burning all the living tissue in the trees to the extent that we may not see the re-shooting phenomenon when the embers have cooled and gone out! The extreme flammability of the eucalyptus oil doesn't help either: once an old man gum tree ignites, the whoosh of exploding fuel can be deafening and it sucks all the oxygen away from the ground, funnelling it upward to feed the resulting flames. This is why Australian fires burn so much more intensely than fires elsewhere.

Fires are threatening Kosciusko National Park (our only alpine area) and the unique plant species found there are under serious threat of extinction. If they burn, they won't regenerate. :( Another unique ecosystem is the southern temperate rainforest, which occurs in tiny pockets down the east coast. These contain many as-yet-unidentified species which are also at extreme risk of extinction if they burn. One such area is the place where my hubby and I spent our honeymoon (Upper Allyn State Forest). This forest contains an enchanting area of native orchids comprising many species. I've spent many happy hours wandering among the ancient trees and sketching or photographing the orchids - the thought of them burning just breaks my heart! :(

Trish, I can't even imagine how terrible the smoke is there, and pray you don't have another asthma attack. One can only imagine the terrible impact that the smoke will have on the wild birds who survive in the long run. Bless you for making sure they have water available, I'm sure that has helped keep them alive, and not suffering from dehydration.
Sending prayers that you stay safe, and that this nightmare is over soon.

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
Oh Terry seriously I would drop dead just from the heat of fighting a fire while wearing all that protective gear, not to mention the sheer terror of it all, these firies are superhuman! They’ve been working so very hard for so long it’s unbelievable.

Our national broadcaster has just reported that it’s estimated the death toll for our wildlife is something like 400 million individuals, with some whole species lost. It’s just too awful.

Oh man! How catastrophic! Had no idea...

Neither did I. Thank you for bringing it our attention. I'm going to look it up now. How awful! Sending my prayers as well. :heart:

Noahs_Birds

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 24, 2019
Toowoomba/Highfields, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Yellow Sided GCC's, Rosa Bourkes Parrots, Full Red Fronted Turqoisine Parrots, Quaker Parrots 'Scomo PM' 'Jenny PM's wife', PLUS: Rare Finches, Doves and Quail
I am seriously considering getting right into breeding our most threatened species of bird life after this fire, and put the bird breeding skills to good use, because it's the bird breeders that will be able to keep them going as a species, because the zoos are too bloody busy with the 'international endangered animals':mad:, rather than the animals on our wide brown (we'll.... black) land
Species on my list include:
Red Browed Firetail subspecies
Southern Black throats
Turquoise Parrots
Native button quail species
As well as others
It may well be after these fires are all over, aviculturalists may as well have the last strong holds of species in their collections:(
We have already lost the Paradise Parrot through ignorance
Thanks
Noah Till

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I am seriously considering getting right into breeding our most threatened species of bird life after this fire, and put the bird breeding skills to good use, because it's the bird breeders that will be able to keep them going as a species, because the zoos are too bloody busy with the 'international endangered animals':mad:, rather than the animals on our wide brown (we'll.... black) land
Southern Black throats
Turquoise Parrots
As well as others
It may well be after these fires are all over, aviculturalists may as well have the last strong holds of species in their collections:(
Thanks
Noah Till

I truly shudder to contemplate the world your generation will inherit. You are destined to be the savior to so many neglected and assaulted species.

Noahs_Birds

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 24, 2019
Parrots
Yellow Sided GCC's, Rosa Bourkes Parrots, Full Red Fronted Turqoisine Parrots, Quaker Parrots 'Scomo PM' 'Jenny PM's wife', PLUS: Rare Finches, Doves and Quail
Southern Black throats
Turquoise Parrots
As well as others
Thanks
Noah Till

I truly shudder to contemplate the world your generation will inherit. You are destined to be the savior to so many neglected and assaulted species.
Thanks Scott, lot of hard work but as long as they are still alive as a species, it's worth more than anything to myself
Thanks
Noah Till

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
My prayers go out to everyone affected by the terrible fires raging through Australia. Trish, I'm so sorry to hear that you were hospitalized due to that air quality. I worry for you, my friend, and pray that relief comes in the form of rain very soon.

And to think of all the species lost, or in danger of being lost, out there. It's heartbreaking. Sending hugs to all of our Australian members.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

Trish, you've weaved a magnificently descriptive tapestry of the horror and all that is at survivalist level in your beloved Australia. Stay safe and committed to doing your part to assist wildlife.

Callimari

Jan 9, 2017
the great green Ontario Canada!
Parrots
Pumpkin (Cinnamon Green Cheek Conure)
Butter (Cockatiel)
Pineapple GCC
Maroon-Bellied Conure
Everyone stay safe where you are! There is not much i can say at this point since most of it has been said and expressed. But please everyone be safe.

dhraiden

Jul 14, 2015
Queens NY
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Mochi)
Gold Capped Conure (Mango)
It would be good to find out whether there any on-the-ground non-profits or NGO's or volunteer organizations that can be donated to provide relief and assistance to affected people and animals.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
There are of course dozens of fundraising efforts underway at present. I'm not sure about how you might go about donating internationally but you could try visiting the Australian Red Cross webpage, the Salvation Army, the New South Wales Wildlife Information Rescue and Education Service (WIRES) webpage, or the Port Macquarie Koala Hospital webpage. I will try to provide a link to a news item with quite a few options...

https://www.news.com.au/technology/environment/bushfire-relief-how-you-can-help-those-in-need/news-story/a0476ac3538b8c373f281ea6be204421

Thank you everyone for thinking of us, the scale of loss being experienced by so many is quite unimaginable!

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
My country is trying to cook me! And my birds!

We managed to winkle the Lovies into the laundry so they can enjoy a bit of air-con and relief from the heat, but the Beaks and Rosetta are outside enjoying a delicious 44ºC. I'm hosing them every hour (against the law!) and am worried sick! Just half an hour ago, my son went out and renewed the water in all the bird baths. Within minutes, we had a horde of Rainbow Lorikeets coming down to drink and bathe with a Magpie joining in for good measure. The Noisy Miners and Butcherbirds are hanging around as well and I'm seriously thinking of hosing the magnolia tree (where they're resting) in the hope of cooling them, even by one degree.

I'm lucky: I'm not in a fire area, just a hot one. When I step outside, my lungs contract because it's like sticking your head in a hot oven. The heat is different than I've ever known it. It's like the dangerous heat that comes off a fire, not the warming, welcome heat of the sun. Everyone is worried, disturbed, anxious about loved ones and animals. All the news reports are about the Fire and the measures being taken to save lives (in many places, they've given up saving houses and are only about keeping people and animals safe).

The fire on the south coast of NSW is the most pressing at the moment. Several little communities have been obliterated and the army and navy have been deployed to move tens of thousands of people out of the area. This has been done with admirable efficiency and a minimum of fuss.

I've attached some photos of a little town called Mallacoota, where a large evacuation took place yesterday. People were assessed for fitness because they were required to climb a rope ladder onto a ship waiting offshore. Then, they were ferried out on amphibious vehicles and loaded onto the ship. People were only allowed one light bag each and one animal, so all of them were literally left with nothing but the clothes they wore! I saw poodles and labradors an dalmatians all being ferried to safety with their owners. It made me very proud of my country and its people to see the level of compassion and cooperation that allowed things to run smoothly.

Those people from Mallacoota who were deemed unable to climb that ladder had to stay behind and wait out the fire. Many waited in a circle of vehicles parked in the local showground (largest clear space available). Others waited on the beach, where the bay was ringed by fire and thick black smoke. The TV footage really brought home how inexorable the fire is and how completely vulnerable we are to its whims. I'm afraid for all these people. I'm afraid for the wildlife. I'm afraid for my country. The pics show (a) the people waiting on the beach and (b) what they're waiting for.

Meanwhile, Australians are being asked to donate hay, wild bird seeds, kangaroo pellets, carrots and sweet potatoes. Oh, and money in order to purchase all of the above. Wildlife carers are in overdrive, trying to locate and help as many creatures as they can. The biggest worry is the provision of water, but when the Fire eventually dies out there will be NO FOOD for most species. We have to really pull together to make sure our wildlife is fed through this crisis. I think we can do it. I hope we can.

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

Utterly apocalyptic, Trish. :( The shared images conjure horror, dread, panic, and so much sadness. Sending hugs and hopes for a desperate break in temperature and fires.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
OMG Trish! :eek: When I saw the HORSE in the photo! How does one "decide" on which creature is going to live,and which will probably die????? :15:
My thoughts and prayers are with you,your countrymen,and your country!

Jim

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Parrots
Thank you, Jim! The support of good thoughts and prayers is *hugely* appreciated by all of us!

There were a few horses waiting patiently on the beach amidst the crowds. A hundred dogs were evacuated with their owners on HMAS Choules and during the voyage naval personnel rigged up a corral so the dogs could have space to move and be with their owners. The news tonight stated that along with the hundred dogs there was also a rabbit and a parrot. I wish I knew what kind of parrot and how he made the trip to safety. :)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
My mind is washed in the tragedy and the heartache that the military (navy) staff are faced with having to 'choose' who is fit enough to leave (as rope ladders quickly sap the body of energy) and the reality faced by those that are left behind. Navy recovery from beaches have never been easy for trained military staff let alone civilians.

The long standing relationship between North America and Australia likely have joint efforts already underway. Sadly, once identified, equipment and personnel are days away from the Asian Taskforce(s), and weeks from the Western Shores of North America. Just guessing, but it would seem likely that the Hospital ship(s) Recovery ships will be first onsite from the Asian fleet, then quickly followed by the Marine Aircraft Carrier(s). I have no way of knowing as such announcements cannot be made until they are onsite.

North America Wild Fire Air based equipment have likely be contracted and cleared to transit to Australia. Sadly, also a slow process because they are not designed for long-haul flights and must Island hop to get there.

Land and Air rescue are greatly limited as Air support is committed to fire suppression and Land support can only follow in behind the Fire.

Our prayers and hugs dear friends! Godspeed Australia!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I just keep praying for rain. For a stop if this destruction! For aid and other government's to bring firefighter help.
A big in thanks to all who are also helping wildlife!!!!
The world is really starting to show the effects of global warming. We hit an all time record high of 85 f yesterday our average should be in the 40s f by tonight we drop to the 30s. I have spring frogs breeding, a pair of wrens laid eggs, spring flowers and trees are blooming that shouldn't until March... Just sharing how the world is outta wack......

Nothing compares to what your part of the work is going through.... It makes me so scared for everyone, and all the wildlife and plants. It makes me so sad knowing the struggles people will have to go through to recover and rebuild. And so sad for wildlife and already endangered species...
Bless you all, stay strong

Noahs_Birds

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 24, 2019
Parrots
Does anyone have any ideas which species have been affected most (bird wise), that could be candidates for a club or personal breeding program?
Thanks
Noah Till

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Parrots
I think it'll be a while before a census of species can be taken to discove exactly how severe the effects hav been. I'm thinking it'll be the little passerines who are affected most, since their ranges are small and their ability to outfly the fires would be so much less.

On the other hand, who knows whether raptors like, say, the Wedge-tailed Eagle would have been able to fly ahead of the fire? Could be they succumb to oxygen starvation because of their larger size. Could be they're intelligent and able enough to escape. Only time will tell. :(

Most Reactions