This Forum Locking Up the Shutdown

PortaPerch

Apr 28, 2012
SurfCity, SoCalif
Parrots
Chewbaca, F. Galah, h10/10;
Greybeard, M. Congo AG h03/09
Until I can get this sorted out, this will be my last day on this Forum. After opening this Forum, my XP computer running Firefox takes several minutes to shut down, and hibernate restarts sometimes fail. It does no good to close this site once it's been opened. My other laptop with same config never did this.

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Try running "CC Cleaner" (free to download) it will clear out all cache and cookies and all the little bad things that slow down your computer.

Just don't meddle with the 'registry' stick to "Windows" and "Applications" :)

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Downloading and installing the free version of Malwarebytes, and making sure it's up to date to check for viruses may be another good option. Downloading a free trial of Kaspersky Antivirus may help to find additional things that Malwarebytes didn't find (assuming system is infected), although ideally it would be best to remove the hard drive and use another system to scan the drive for infections.

Might also want to look and see if any core components can be upgraded. At minimum, that's ram.

I've found Google Chrome to work pretty well and bogs down the system less.

Whatever the issue is with your computer, hope you are able to get it fixed!

OP
PortaPerch

PortaPerch

Apr 28, 2012
SurfCity, SoCalif
Parrots
Chewbaca, F. Galah, h10/10;
Greybeard, M. Congo AG h03/09
When I bought this used laptop, I was told the XPpro was up to date. Not so, it turns out. I did all the updates, and now this Forum is no longer implicated. I still have a problem with hibernate. Will have to look into that more.

Thanks again.

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Hehe. Sneaky patch updates! I'm using Windows 7/8 at the moment, XP seems so long ago for me. But that's what happens when I live with two computer nerds. :p

Most Reactions

Latest posts