Tiel getting better, but what could have been wrong?

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hello, šŸ˜Š I have a male cockatiel named Kiko.

I posted a while back about something being wrong with Kikoā€™s wing. It was kind of dropped and not close to his body. He was able to strech the wing half way, but in pain.

He has gotten A LOT better. He does not make pain noises and stretches his wing fully. He can also flap both wings together but he still hasnā€™t flown like he used to. He has flown on the ground from his cage and our kitchen island a couple of times and landed perfectly, but he isnā€™t flying to great lengths like before. I am assuming he will be able to do that after a bit more time because I do see him getting better and flying somewhat.

What I am confused about is what went wrong with him. I hadnā€™t taken him to the vet because his wing did not look fractured at all. Could It be sprained? Is it possible that he will only fly a little bit and never fly fully again? Should I go to the vet anyways?

Thanks to anyone who replies šŸ’•

OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel

I posted a while back about something being wrong with Kikoā€™s wing. It was kind of dropped and not close to his body. He was able to strech the wing half way, but in pain.

He has gotten A LOT better. He does not make pain noises and stretches his wing fully. He can also flap both wings together but he still hasnā€™t flown like he used to. He has flown on the ground from his cage and our kitchen island a couple of times and landed perfectly, but he isnā€™t flying to great lengths like before. I am assuming he will be able to do that after a bit more time because I do see him getting better and flying somewhat.

What I am confused about is what went wrong with him. I hadnā€™t taken him to the vet because his wing did not look fractured at all. Could It be sprained? Is it possible that he will only fly a little bit and never fly fully again? Should I go to the vet anyways?

Something else I would like to add is that I myself did not see him injure his wing so I donā€™t know what caused this. He did lightly crash into the wall before this happened but he has crashed harder before with no injury.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.

It certainly could be sprained or strained. Fortunately it sounds like it's healing.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
It's hard to know the extent of what parts were injured without an exam or x-ray but I'm so glad he's doing better now!

Most Reactions