To board or Not to Board!

drlisaort

Nov 3, 2012
Hollywood, Florida
Parrots
Oliver, Male (SI) Eclectus
I'm struggling with the decision on whether to board Oliver while I'm at a three day conference in Vegas or to leave him with my husband and oldest son, neither of which will take him out of his cage. At home he will have his regular foods, surroundings, and familiar family. My husband will change the paper at the bottom of his cage (but not thoroughly scrub his cage like I do 2 X a day!)and will feed him morning and night. My oldest son will not. My husband will be working days and two of the nights with a few hours between the jobs. He promised to sit by Oliver and sing when he practices his music in the morning.

My second option is to board Oliver with Charlie, his first "daddy" before coming home to me. Charlie has a beautiful, well kept bird store and is very kind and loving. He raised Oliver from five weeks old until I brought him home.My concerns are he will not be taking Oliver out much because he has a busy store, he is closed on Sunday so Oliver will be alone with exception of feedings, and he boards and has other birds that may have "issues" I don't want Oliver to learn (not to mention a disease!). Also, the feedings will not include all fruits, veggies, and some beans/brown rice like at home but more seed and pellet.

In May I have a repeat of this very situation! In both cases I thought my youngest could cover me (he loves Oliver and plays with him) but he oddly is going out of town both times as well. A coincidence that I never imagined in my planning. What should I do????? :confused:

Peeker

Feb 10, 2013
Parrots
Jax-Eclectus
Tina-Eclectus
Ruby-Eclectus
I would choose the stay at home and listen to hubby play music. IMO 3 days is not that long and it would be nicer on him to keep to the same foods and surroundings. The "closed Sunday", as well as the chance of picking up a disease or a terrible habit are big negatives to me. Plus I wouldn't want Oliver to think he is being returned/changing homes.

I've been away from mine before for a few days and have the same help at home--they get clean papers and regular foods but won't be handled and they do just fine.

Do you have one option you are leaning toward?

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
I would choose home. Will be less stress for birdy. I would change Around his toys if u can or add some new ones that will keep his busy with a new challenge. Also when house is empty, leave on tv or radio. I usually leave a station with talking and people and commercials for pritti, like the ho e channel where they sell buy remake homes etc. not too loud.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Personally, I would never board my bird. Too much risk for catching some disease from another bird, plus the stress of being dumped off somewhere totally unfamiliar. When my parents (who also have parrots) can't watch Kiwi while I'm away, I hire a pet sitter to come 2x a day. She doesn't take him out, but she does make sure he gets fed, covered/uncovered and talks to him. I leave pre-cut fruits/veggies in the fridge for her to feed him, and also leave her $5 cash to get a pre-cut fruit bowl mid week so he's not going without or eating spoiled produce. I feel he is much safer and happier at home just not coming out for a few days rather than the risks and stress of boarding. I'm sure your husband and son can take care of your baby just fine for 3 days, and that he isn't going to go nuts staying in his cage for that short period of time.

OP
drlisaort

drlisaort

Nov 3, 2012
Hollywood, Florida
Parrots
Thank you Peeker! I appreciate your share that you are in the same predicament at your home with your family. I am leaning towards the same suggestion as you that Oliver stays home for the same reasons. The Sunday closed is almost a deal breaker. I never, ever thought about Oliver thinking I was returning him!!! How horrible of a thought. We do go for visits from time to time and he loves Charlie and visa versa but that is not enough for me to feel good about the closed Sundays and the possible diseases lurking. Thank you!!

OP
drlisaort

drlisaort

Nov 3, 2012
Hollywood, Florida
Parrots
Kiwibird, I was so afraid that Oliver would "go nuts" as you state in your post if I'm not home. I fear I've really spoiled the heck out of him. He lives the life of Riley! And of course I feared I'd come home to a plucked or screaming bird rather than a happy-go-lucky fun-loving green feathered joy!

Chikoo

Jul 17, 2012
Parrots
Chikoo (female Eclectus, 4yrs)
Rumi (male Eclectus, 12yrs)
I vote for home.

Joshuwaaa

Nov 11, 2012
England
I'm in a similar situation but I've chosen to keep Loki at home. I didn't like the idea of changing his surroundings and diet too much.

home vote for me,

hope your both well

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Kiwi actually does much better when the petsitter comes than when we leave him with my parents (and they take him out plus my mom is home all day and there are 3 other parrots around). He's typically very agitated when we pick him up from their house, and stays mad with us for a few days after. He just seems happy to see us and to stretch his wings when he spent a few days in his cage at home. I really wouldn't be concerned he will become a plucker in a 3 day time period while having his basic needs met. Just load him up on toys, and if your hubby/son aren't as experienced with his care, leave them with easy to follow instructions on what to feed, bedtime/wake up time ect... Also, taking a short trip or vacation a couple times a year isn't going to scar your bird for life, but if it's is a regular thing you have to leave town for work, someone else in your home is going to need to learn how to take him out in the long term.

OP
drlisaort

drlisaort

Nov 3, 2012
Hollywood, Florida
Parrots
Thank you all for the great advice and the vote(s) to stay home! I will definitely "train" my husband on what to do and leave instructions and lots of toys and all the foods in labeled containers. And then...lots of praying that all goes smooth. I travel often but most of the time Oliver can go with me...

moni.k

Sep 2, 2012
Pasadena, CA
Parrots
~SI female eclectus: Nalani~
~pineapple.turquoise GCC: Layla~
I've boarded Nalani before at a local bird store. It's not as bad as it seems. She had a huge cage to roam in, and because she was negative for diseases she was given perch/aviary time. I used to buy a fresh fruit and veggie mix from them so I know they feed their birds well. Plus Nalani would go visit prior to the boarding almost every week so she was well acquainted with the workers and owners. She boarded for 4 days and there were no negative/ill effects on her behavior or health. However, at the time she was very young. Now if I had to board her, I would choose a home (private boarding) or a pet sitter instead of taking her to a bird store/breeder/vet. My home is VERY quiet and peaceful. I feel that if I were to board her after she's been raised in such a calm environment, she would be stressed from all the screaming and commotion.

Since you're son and husband will be home, I see no point in boarding him. He's comfortable with your family and home. Boarding will be unnecessary stress. Plus, it can be expensive!! For the 4 days total the cost was about $130. I could have bought a good handful of toys with that money...

OP
drlisaort

drlisaort

Nov 3, 2012
Hollywood, Florida
Parrots
Moni.k, Thank you for your suggestions. Yes, my home too is very quiet and I know the bird store gets crazy loud at times, plus sometimes little kids are walking around and may poke their fingers into the cage. Not good! My son and husband will continue their usual routine, which he is aware of, but they will not take him out of his cage at all. So, it's a tough choice but looks like home is the winner. I never thought of taking him to a birdsitter but I'm so darn picky I'd be afraid. Home is clean and familiar...

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
Always choose home if it is in anyway possible. I'm going through with this same type of problem but mine is more of a lengthy trip of 2-4 weeks. I don't have an option of a family member taking care of my birds for that length of time.

OP
drlisaort

drlisaort

Nov 3, 2012
Hollywood, Florida
Parrots
Oh wow mtdoramike 2-4 weeks makes my 3 days quite doable! I wish you lived close I'd help you out! I hope you have an awesome trip without guilt...

Parrotdise

Mar 14, 2013
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot, Sam, Double Yellow Headed Amazon, Sierra & Black Headed Caique, Daisy Jane
I always choose home also, I think it helps keep my birds feeling more secure. When i leave sometimes my Mom will call me while she as at my house and i talk to my birds over the phone, they always get excited.

Joshuwaaa

Nov 11, 2012
England
Hey Lisa,

glad you decided what to do :) I think home is good.

I've bought Loki a new foraging toy, new rope perch and java perch so that before I go I can change his cage. Hopefully keep his mind active while I'm away.

His little holiday too x

OP
drlisaort

drlisaort

Nov 3, 2012
Hollywood, Florida
Parrots
Great idea Josh! I'm going to do the same, especially after reading Sodakat's suggestion in another post on how to display toys in the cage. I love this forum!!! Have a safe trip and loads of fun!

Blue

Aug 16, 2012
portland, or
Parrots
Odin - CAG
Salty- Hahn's Macaw
Greenie - Eclectus
Lexi- Eclectus
When I have to be away my husband takes care of the Fids, I get all their food ready and just tell him what to feed when. He takes them out of their cages, the only one who doesn't get as much out of cage time is my Grey, Odin gets very mad when I leave and takes it out on my husband, he gives him a good bite at least once while I'm gone. The Hahn's is totally his bird anyway, he hates me, tries to bite me anytime I walk by him but my husband can hold and pet him.

Most Reactions

Latest posts