To clip or not to clip - that is the question.

MissMac

Dec 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
Females, Lutino Indian Ringneck Missy and Silver Lavender IRN Gracie.
My lutino Indian Ringneck Missy is still missing. Six days now but there have been sightings and I have been going to those areas at the times she has been seen (or at times a yellow bird has been seen) and called for her. So far, obviously, I have not found her. I've not even heard her or seen a yellow bird. I think I will rename her when I get her home (trying to sound positive).
Just prior to losing her I was considering getting her a friend. I don't know what it is I just feel animals should be in two's. Not male and female necessarily, just two's.
I went ahead and got a new little Indian Ringneck around the same age as Missy, but I didn't hand rear her the breeder did so we are going slow getting to know each other.
Now. To the question at hand. I have never been for clipping birds wings. To me it's akin to breaking a dogs legs just so it won't run away. It's not natural, but then again, is keeping a bird natural?
Anyhow... Gracie, my new little silver lavender Indian Ringneck, has been clipped. A hatchet job if you ask me.... Soooooo clipped, there is no way she can fly. All she can do is to try and break her fall if she were to fall. At best she can only fly a foot, at best. First 5 flight feathers cut.
Now, I am 57 and have a spinal issue and if Missy were to fly out of the house I wouldn't physically be able to chase her so.... do I keep my girls clipped?

Attachments

• 3 and a half months old.jpeg
    3 and a half months old.jpeg
    11.1 KB · Views: 114
  • 20220104_090327.jpg
    20220104_090327.jpg
    292.7 KB · Views: 80

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
My lutino Indian Ringneck Missy is still missing. Six days now but there have been sightings and I have been going to those areas at the times she has been seen (or at times a yellow bird has been seen) and called for her. So far, obviously, I have not found her. I've not even heard her or seen a yellow bird. I think I will rename her when I get her home (trying to sound positive).
Just prior to losing her I was considering getting her a friend. I don't know what it is I just feel animals should be in two's. Not male and female necessarily, just two's.
I went ahead and got a new little Indian Ringneck around the same age as Missy, but I didn't hand rear her the breeder did so we are going slow getting to know each other.
Now. To the question at hand. I have never been for clipping birds wings. To me it's akin to breaking a dogs legs just so it won't run away. It's not natural, but then again, is keeping a bird natural?
Anyhow... Gracie, my new little silver lavender Indian Ringneck, has been clipped. A hatchet job if you ask me.... Soooooo clipped, there is no way she can fly. All she can do is to try and break her fall if she were to fall. At best she can only fly a foot, at best. First 5 flight feathers cut.
Now, I am 57 and have a spinal issue and if Missy were to fly out of the house I wouldn't physically be able to chase her so.... do I keep my girls clipped?
I don’t supposrt clipping in any way
But its your choice!
Just please let them learn to fly first before clipping..
Clipping makes a bird less confident and cause other issues like screaming, demanding (they will need help to get around so they will keep calling for you if they want to go to somewhere else), and maybe even injuries if they attempt to fly
This person had a discussion about clipping with an avian vet and other bird owners

OP
MissMac

MissMac

Dec 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
I don’t supposrt clipping in any way
But its your choice!
Just please let them learn to fly first before clipping..
Clipping makes a bird less confident and cause other issues like screaming, demanding (they will need help to get around so they will keep calling for you if they want to go to somewhere else), and maybe even injuries if they attempt to fly
This person had a discussion about clipping with an avian vet and other bird owners
I agree. Little Gracie has no hope of flying the way she is. It's terrible that the breeder does this to all her birds. Not even being able to fly a single foot in distance must make them feel so vulnerable.
As I have the door open for dogs and it's needed that way I will try and find a better solution to stop any bird from walking out the door. They can't fly out as it is screened with a curtain screen.... Missy walked out, not flew out.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
I am very against clipping and will NEVER encourage it - UNLESS your bird is disabled and must be kept from flying for their own safety. To me it just seems wrong, like how would you like to have your legs cut off?

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
I agree. Little Gracie has no hope of flying the way she is. It's terrible that the breeder does this to all her birds. Not even being able to fly a single foot in distance must make them feel so vulnerable.
As I have the door open for dogs and it's needed that way I will try and find a better solution to stop any bird from walking out the door. They can't fly out as it is screened with a curtain screen.... Missy walked out, not flew out.
How about a dog door?
You know tjose flaps for dogs a bird will not have the strength to push it open
I also forgot to note how clipped burds CAN fly
Tiki my cockatiel doesnt have all her feathers back yet
But she flies all over the hpuse!
She barley even has any tail feathers at all! Only 4! And she has great flight for a bird thats been clipped
Try to boost their courge try your best to make them atlwast take a little hop to you then increase the distance SLOWLY
they should build up their muscles and be fly even when clipped!
Also recall training is very important!!
The amount of times my old bird (tango) would sneak out is unbelievable
But he was recall (free flight) trained he would always come back when called
So recall isnt just for free flight it can also be very helpful for emergencies!
Take advantage of her being clipped for now..
Try to bond with her since its easier to tame a flightless bird

Birdgirl24

Dec 2, 2021
North Dakota
Parrots
I have 1 budgie, He is a male both. I have been looking into getting an Eclectus Parrot tho.
I've had experiences with clipped birds, and I've seen how it breaks them mentally and physically I think it very cruel because God gave them wings and that is there one difference between them living or dying if they get outside. If they were to get outside your house with clipped wings, they have a higher chance of dying because they are more susceptible to being eaten without the ability to fly. Personally, I would never clip but that is the Indvidual's choice just make sure to do your research and look at all the pros and cons.

OP
MissMac

MissMac

Dec 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
I am very against clipping and will NEVER encourage it - UNLESS your bird is disabled and must be kept from flying for their own safety. To me it just seems wrong, like how would you like to have your legs cut off?
I agree and I'm not going to do it to them. I'm guessing I now have to wait 12 months or earlier, for the cut feathers to regrow.

Most Reactions

Latest posts