training a scarlet macaw.. where to begin??

OP
H

hNicholeh

Jul 28, 2014
gray court, south Carolina
Parrots
Scarlet macaw named Boomer
Thanks this helps. I actualy am not working right now i just graduated high school in June and am looking for a job right now so i have plenty of time to work with him. Thanks for the bit about sitting near the cage. Im hoping to get more macaws bc i love them so much :) i think i might. I've looked at stuff on YouTube and I've seen some of her videos. So i might invest in her videos when i get the chance. Yes Boomer(my scarlet) loves to hear me sing to him and he will sway along and depending on the song he will kinda like stomp his foot so i will deff do some singing and such. But hes never been much into games but ill try some and see if he will enjoy them.

OP
H

hNicholeh

Jul 28, 2014
Parrots
Okay i just took him out the cage with a small towel rapped around my forearm and he stepped up just fine and i brought him into the dining room and put him on the chair and he did just fine and i talked to him and stuff but after a little bit he realized his stick wasny with him and he tried to climb down off the chair and then when i got him on my arm he leaned towards the room with his cage and i put him bk down to do it again but he leans even harder to get to the cage bc of his stick. What should i do??

MacawLoverOf3

Jun 23, 2013
Parrots
Jody
Kalea
Donovan
You need to change his focus onto other things. Distract him by playing with another toy, what other toys does he have that are safe for him to chew on? You need to start expanding his world so that he is not oriented to one thing only. There is a whole world out there for him but if it is a dining room chair you are putting him on, that might not go over very well when he puts beak marks or starts making tooth picks out of it and Macaws can be big buzz saws.

Start trying to touch him. Can/does he sit on your lap? Start playing a game with him, the Gottcha Game. Tell him you are going to get his toe and 'walk' your fingers along the leg so he sees them coming and quickly touch a toe then pull back, tell him again that you are going to get that toe and do that a few times. When I am doing something fun like that I go Wheeeeeee and they have learned to associate that with something fun and not afraid when they hear it because they know I am playing with them.

OP
H

hNicholeh

Jul 28, 2014
Parrots
The dining room chair isn't wood so he cant break into it but i dont have him any toys at the moment. I have to buy some and Im trying to make him one and he likes it when i put rocks in a little bottle bc he enjoys attacking it. Other than that at the moment I rely on talking to him and petting him and he enjoys going under blankets more than he likes playing with the toys i do make/get him. But i will deff invest on more toys for him to give him a variety. I know its not ideal of me to not get him much toys but the ones I've made him he never really played with and he'd much prefer to go outside or play under a blanket or listen to me talk and stuff. So what should i do? He doesn't like his toes touched so i think he might find that game offensive :) but i can always try and see. But should i just take him outside to help distract him from the chew stick since i dont have him any more toys right now??

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
OP
H

hNicholeh

Jul 28, 2014
Parrots
Im actually making progress. I got him in the outside cage without a problem and i worked on the step ups out there a little more and sat with him for awhile. He was a little lost without the stick but he seemed okay i just came in to give him a little space. Thanks for all the help tho i appreciate it. I think i got what to do now. Its just going to take some time for him to warm up completely.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
It's all about handling them consistently and setting boundaries. Once you do that you've got yourself a lap bird...

OP
H

hNicholeh

Jul 28, 2014
Parrots
At the end of our little session i rewarded him with a lot more treats and let him play a little under the towel i had rapped on my arm so we left off on good note. He tries to test out my arm and tries to bite a little but since i have the towel it doesn't hurt and i tell him no bite. But he still has an issue with the step up all the way and just puts a foot on my arm and gets the treat. But i try to coax him to stand completely on my arm and when he does i offer him extra treats. Hopefully tomorrow will be slightly better but Im prepared to work with him as much as i can and Im looking forward to the end result.

MacawLoverOf3

Jun 23, 2013
Parrots
Jody
Kalea
Donovan
:jumping40:jumping40:jumping40:jumping40

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!

I am so proud of how far you came today. See, he is not a bad bird, he just needs to be handled more and loved on. Keep in mind that he will use his beak to test things and learning the difference between going for a bite or just to balance himself or taste something to see what it is and you have to learn what is the difference.

What he needs are toys he can play with. Do you have brown paper lunch bags in the house? You can put a couple of nuts in one, letting him see what you are doing, crumple it up and hand it to him and watch how he will look at it and figure out how to get at those nuts.

Do you have and old sock you can donate? Make sure it has been washed, roll it up into a ball and start playing with it and him. You don't really want him to see that it was a sock you used so he starts thinking all socks are for him :D

Macs love bells. You want a heavy one with the inside clapper not one he can reach and get out and for the Macs it is best to do everything in stainless steel, including chains. I also prefer to stay away from nickel plated also. Look around and maybe you can find one at a cheaper price but this is the type. I actually got mine from JLO Leather but you really can't order from a web site as he is more focused on doing fairs but maybe email him ask what his price would be and if he would ship. He sells SS chains, link and that type of stuff.

Stainless Steel Bell Large

Another toy that is a big hit here is the Square Dance. The store is shut down right now because Doris has an arm fracture but maybe by the time she opens they will have redesigned that toy a little.

Toys for large parrots ? Parrot Toys With Attitude

The stick you talk about, were you using that for him to step up on and move him around or is that more of a toy for him? If it was for stepping up on, please don't rely on it from this point out. Now if it was his toy, let him have that and get him more wood to chew on also. Do you have access to a table saw or miter saw???? If you do, get yourself a 2x4 from Lowe's or Home Depot or a lumber store. You want pine NEVER use pressure treated wood for decks. Cut of the ends about 2 inches and start off giving him about 1/2 inch thick slices. Once he shows you how fast he can make toothpicks out of it, increase the size. The wood will have printing on it, but you need to not use that area, just pitch it as unknown dyes are not safe along with any paint. Safety of your baby is always a top priority and best to err on the side of safety.

Better hurry up and find a job to support all the toy buying you need to get him. A busy, destroying Mac is a happy Mac. ;)

Keep up the great work you did today with him and before you know it you will have yourself one Mushmellow too!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Okay i just took him out the cage with a small towel rapped around my forearm and he stepped up just fine and i brought him into the dining room and put him on the chair and he did just fine and i talked to him and stuff but after a little bit he realized his stick wasny with him and he tried to climb down off the chair and then when i got him on my arm he leaned towards the room with his cage and i put him bk down to do it again but he leans even harder to get to the cage bc of his stick. What should i do??

Four years is a LONG TIME to go without... and a long time to be dependent upon a crutch. Giving up that crutch can be confusing. But this is a very exciting time for both of you. Give him structured interaction every day. And try to give him at least 4 hours outside the cage time with you every day. I guarantee you'll see a different bird...

He needs to open up. He needs to be handled. He needs to learn how to play games. He needs to be interacted with... once those needs are met you will be amazed at what you have. And you may just kick yourself a little for the last four years of both of you living without that...

Don't kick yourself too much. It's a waste of time. Make up for lost time and enjoy!!!

OP
H

hNicholeh

Jul 28, 2014
Parrots
Thank you guys and i will look into those toys. Im not sure if he was attached to the stick before i got him or not. He would always just grab the stick and take it with us around the time i got him. Maybe its a learned behavior and now he doesn't want to go anywhere without it. Im not sure but it seems more than a toy. Thanks for the toy ideas i appreciate it. His stick is actually a piece of wood that i gave him to chew on and he really downsized that thing and hes had it for a bit. If there's any more ideas to help us bond and play that would be helpful :D

MacawLoverOf3

Jun 23, 2013
Parrots
Jody
Kalea
Donovan
Today take a sheet of newspaper and crumble it into a ball. Put him on your bed, you kneel along side the bed and start playing with the ball yourself and when he shows interest roll it to him and start a game that way. Let him play under that towel from yesterday or the sheets. When he is covered up under it, lift a corner and say peek-a-boo like you would do with a little kid and watch how he will enjoy doing it. This would be the perfect time to touch him. If he truly does not like the feet touched you might start by just touching a wing and saying Gottcha. Playing with him and having fun together will be great for that bonding. I would still try to play with the feet though. If he sees that you are playing he might open up and just continue playing. This is where 'reading' him will come into play. You have to get to know him and he has to get to know you and trust you.

Hopefully he will have a great time playing with you under the blanket or towel and when you wind things down a bit and if he has been ok with you touching him try to gently rub one finger on the beak. If he is comfortable with that use two fingers and just sort of hold the beak for several seconds. Macaws find it comforting for you to just hold it. If he is still comfortable with that, go in for a kiss while you are more holding onto it and controlling it and do it quickly.

If you sit on the bed he will have to opportunity to explore more and more than likely want to climb onto you and be comfortable with you. Let him.

I would suggest putting and old blanket over your bed in the event he is one that puts holes in things or if he goes poop on the bad. The poop is washable but better find out what old blanket it won't matter to if it has a couple of holes. Need to teach him lessons in no hole chewing too. Good idea is to have toilet paper, tissue or something to pick any poop if that happens. Macaws tend to go poop around 20 minutes apart so plan accordingly.

OP
H

hNicholeh

Jul 28, 2014
Parrots
Okay thats good ideas and i will try them out. I took him out today by letting him climb out the cage and he got on the floor and i sat down with the blanket draped over my legs and he went under and he came back out and kinda pulled my hand under there with him like he usually does with the stick so thats a good sign right? Also he loves taking showers and he was due for one and sometimes in there he gets a little excited and wants to nip a little so i was a little unsure if i should take the stick during this or not but then i thought since he enjoys the shower so much that i shouldn't take the stick with us and show him that being with me without the stick is just as enjoyable as me with the stick and It went good. He kinda got a little nervous and managed to climb up to much shoulder and i thought about what you said to do in this situation and it helped alot thx for that

MacawLoverOf3

Jun 23, 2013
Parrots
Jody
Kalea
Donovan
You are more than welcome.

He sounds like he is a good little birdie who just needs someone to interact with him, play with him and love him. You are on the right track, you recognize his excitement can cause some nipping but thought it through, recognized what could happen but yet realized what was better for Boomer and how to handle it when he tried going up to the shoulder. You are doing fantastic!

Every day he needs you attention. There will be days when you are short on time but he has to have at least a little of his cuddle time with you and other days then can be a lot. Some people believe in a theory that you should stick to a strick time table when to do things. I don't live like that and won't raise any little birdies that way because when life happens they can't deal with it. Some things are consistent and everyone knows they get individual one on one time with cuddles and love.

Boomer does need more things to occupy his time and I know you recognize this and expect them to be chewed up as that is his purpose in life to do, chew things and our purpose is to keeping providing those things and keeping him safe.

OP
H

hNicholeh

Jul 28, 2014
Parrots
Thanks your right about the strict time thing, Boomer usually just goes with the flow. But i have one question, i just got a job and Im starting orientation on Thursday from 9am-4pm and i was wondering if this will affect our training and progress to much? Im glad i got this job tho b now i will have my own money to spend on him with his toys and stuff.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Thanks your right about the strict time thing, Boomer usually just goes with the flow. But i have one question, i just got a job and Im starting orientation on Thursday from 9am-4pm and i was wondering if this will affect our training and progress to much? Im glad i got this job tho b now i will have my own money to spend on him with his toys and stuff.

NO! It shouldn't affect anything...

Just set the pattern for him, and maintain that same pattern of handling every day.

I leave the house at 6:15 every morning and don't get home until around 6:30, and I've got five...

MacawLoverOf3

Jun 23, 2013
Parrots
Jody
Kalea
Donovan
Congrats on getting a job and you're right, you need a paycheck to support all those toy buying episodes.

I have always made it a practice to tell my crew what I am doing such as leaving for a few days and when I'll be back. They understand a heck of a lot and I have never had a problem with 'attitudes' like some people have if they are gone for a while. In your case, start telling Boomer that you start working and you are going to be gone during the day but that you two are still going to have time to play together every day.

When I am leaving the house I always tell them if I am going to be gone for a little bit when I run to a store or if I am going to be gone a long time and tell them bye-bye. It took Kalea 6 years but now she will tell me that when she knows I am leaving and that makes me feel better because I know she understands, there is no anxiety and it is so funny hearing the two of us telling each other bye-bye over and over. I just love that little girl.

OP
H

hNicholeh

Jul 28, 2014
Parrots
Thanks :) okay thats good to know bc i dont want this job thing to push our progress back. I will have to leave out around 6 something bc my sis has a job and my other one has school. Aw that is just so adorable! You guys especially macawloverof3 have been great help its hard to find things on the internet that will help me with MY situation. I do wish i had the right mind to start this along time ago :)

MacawLoverOf3

Jun 23, 2013
Parrots
Jody
Kalea
Donovan
I do wish i had the right mind to start this along time ago :)
What is important is that you are now doing it, have had more skills than you realized before and are not intimidated by him. You two are going to have such an enjoyable life together. I am happy for you. :smile009:

Most Reactions

Latest posts