hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
I've been watching training videos on YouTube today (btw--if you have a favorite channel on YouTube let me hear it!) and one thing I've noticed is everyone seems to use a T perch for training sessions.

My lovebird will only accept treats from me in areas where she's very comfortable/secure... Usually on top of her cage. I know common lovebird advice is to train away from the cage because they can be territorial but she's too nervous and flighty in other rooms so I haven't been able to.

I'm sure she'll be nervous of a new perch if I purchase one, even on top of her cage, never mind in a different room! Do you think it's important that I buy her one? What are the benefits of a training perch?

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
i dont think its really that important..
i train tiki on top of her cage elle and the birds doesnt use t perches

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Itā€™s not that itā€™s important to have a t perch, per se. You can train in any surface.

the value is the portability. when training parrots, environment becomes part of the training sessions. They become habituated to locations, on top of the cage for example. If you take the bird To another room, that wasnā€™t the original training plan, the rooms are different so the bird doesnā€™t think the rules of ā€œtarget!ā€ are the same.

A most extreme example of this concept in action: just because you teach your bird to come to you on command indoors, doesnā€™t automatically mean it will come to you if you take it outside. Training in different environments is key to having solid commands in any situation. Thatā€™s why for free flight training, when you have recall indoors at 100% sucesss you canā€™t JUST take the bird outside. You need larger spaces, patting cages, secure outdoor spaces where you can practice.

you donā€™t need a t stand for this. Theyā€™re just the most convenient. You can use what you have on hand, a chair back for example.

me personally though, Iā€™ll always have them. Eve n outside of training, theyā€™re just too handy!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
We train Salty on our coffee table, cleared of stuff and with a towel over it. Its away from his cage and play area. He has come to know that when I start clearing it off, and lay out the towel that its training time, and often is so eager to get started, he is pacing back and forth, and literally runs from trick to trick.

Here is the link to all of Salty's training /trick videos.
https://m.youtube.com/user/captniceguy?itct=CAEQ8DsiEwjIkt6to-fWAhUK8ZwKHVY_AsI=

Most Reactions

Latest posts