transition seed to pellets/vegetables

cockathiel

New member
Joined
Jul 9, 2026
Messages
3
Reaction score
2
So I got a cockatiel from craigslist. No lectures... just give helpful advice please. It's on an all seed diet, how soon can I start to transition it to pellets and vegetables? I read a post someone tried to change the diet too soon and it killed their bird. I also don't think it's hand tamed, how do I go about cleaning it's cage? And getting it comfortable with step up so I can put it back in the cage if it flies out?

Update I decided to just go in with a paper towel to wipe the poop up and he didn't seem to mind. He didn't fly out or try to bite. He seems like a nice bird, I have hope. I don't think the last owner let him out of the cage much.
 
Last edited:
The best way is to transition slowly. You can add a small amount of pellets (about 9 parts seed to one part pellets) to their seed and increase it over the weeks. My stinkers took about 2 weeks to convert to pellets this way. Sometimes even using a smaller side for your bird (Ie: finch sized pellets for a cockatiel) will make them think it's a seed.

As for veggies, broccoli, rubbing the 'leaves' or the seed-like top of the broccoli over the seed can encourage them to sample the veggie. From there, you can offer shaved carrot.

Always go slow! Switching too fast can starve a bird. They're not the brightest wicks on the menorah when it comes to new foods.
 
Birds are flock animals. They tend to eat what the rest of the flock are eating. You can also eat a small amount of a particular veggie in front of him. Act like like you really enjoy it (even if you don't). Offer a small amount. Do this often and randomly during the day. Early in morning offer a small amount of veggies. Eat a few. He'll be most hungry and may nibble. Take away after 15 min or so. Crush up seeds into a fine powder, blow the hulls away add whole seeds mixed, sprinkle on a small amount of quality pellets. He'll try to get to the seed powder. Go slowly. There's plenty of pellet brands out there. Someone here stated a true fact. The best pellet is the one he'll eat. Don't by large bags. Above all go slowly. Patience is your priority Parrots do not see time as we do. The longer and slower you go the better. Avoid letting out of cage unless you are in a secure room: no open doors to get into other parts of house/apartment, patio doors, windows or mirrors he can fly into, no operating ceiling or box fans are just a few. To get him used to you, talk softly, give verbal praise for positive and ignore negative. It doesn't matter what you say. If you're in a different room or gone, TV, music especially, whistling, streaming, movies and more volume nor set too high. There's lots of posts here about feeding and handling. Each bird and their companion have their own personality. Not every thing will work. Birdie personality can be irritating. Hated today, loved tomorrow and reversed. So no matter the species you can never have too much patience.
 
Birds are flock animals. They tend to eat what the rest of the flock are eating. You can also eat a small amount of a particular veggie in front of him. Act like like you really enjoy it (even if you don't). Offer a small amount. Do this often and randomly during the day. Early in morning offer a small amount of veggies. Eat a few. He'll be most hungry and may nibble. Take away after 15 min or so. Crush up seeds into a fine powder, blow the hulls away add whole seeds mixed, sprinkle on a small amount of quality pellets. He'll try to get to the seed powder. Go slowly. There's plenty of pellet brands out there. Someone here stated a true fact. The best pellet is the one he'll eat. Don't by large bags. Above all go slowly. Patience is your priority Parrots do not see time as we do. The longer and slower you go the better. Avoid letting out of cage unless you are in a secure room: no open doors to get into other parts of house/apartment, patio doors, windows or mirrors he can fly into, no operating ceiling or box fans are just a few. To get him used to you, talk softly, give verbal praise for positive and ignore negative. It doesn't matter what you say. If you're in a different room or gone, TV, music especially, whistling, streaming, movies and more volume nor set too high. There's lots of posts here about feeding and handling. Each bird and their companion have their own personality. Not every thing will work. Birdie personality can be irritating. Hated today, loved tomorrow and reversed. So no matter the species you can never have too much patience.


Thanks.. Good tip to not buy a large bag. I was about to get the 5 pound tubs. I see they have one just cockatiels. should I get one in every flavor and see what he likes? Assuming it's a he because they said he never laid an egg.

Turning off the ceiling fan is the first thing I did, I read alot of people birds die that way. No non stick cookware.

They said the bird is 3-5 years old.. I'm hoping I can give it a good life.
 
Check here with other breed species specific owners. I personally tend to stay away from "flavors". But that's part of the owner preference. No matter what you buy make sure it is a quality brand. Check here for the names of quality brands. There are plenty out there. Each with supporters. Honestly I wouldn't trust "he" cause he hasn't laid an egg. DNA verification is the only true way. Take your time. Go to the search at the upper right and look for information to while you're waiting for more specific answers.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom