Transporting to new home

Blktbss07

Sep 12, 2022
Parrots
Macaw
Hey everyone, I'm going to be getting my grandmothers macaw soon and I was wondering what is the best to transport her 100miles away. She's 30 years old and has known me all her life. I'm able to pet her, spread her wings, give belly scratches-pretty much what ever and I'm the only person she likes right now. When she gets to my house she's going to have a new cage. So I'm wondering really what's the best way to go about this.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
A good size dog carrier would be OK for the trip and not too $$$. 100 miles is only a 3 hr trip max.

OP
B

Blktbss07

Sep 12, 2022
Parrots
Macaw
A good size dog carrier would be OK for the trip and not too $$$. 100 miles is only a 3 hr trip max.
Thanks for your reply. Thanks for the idea, I'll be using it!...any idea what I should if she gets stressed during the trip?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I;d have a tip proof water bowl with a small amount of water, a soft towel to put on the bottom of the carrier, maybe a toys or 2. A stop if she gets really stressed, but under no circumstances let her out during the trip. she may be hard to get back in. If you can elevate the carrier so she can see where your going that will help. A couple of Amazon boxes under the carrier and strap that thing in too.
Bon voyage!

bonitabird59

Apr 12, 2022
screw a dowel in a plastic dog crate and ur set! and just like wrench said above, toys and water are a must! i used to cover my amazon during our drives to the desert for vacation but that was because she got motion sick

Most Reactions