Treating possible infection. Can I treat the whole flock?

HannahandSunny

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 13, 2019
Australia
Parrots
Cockatiels. Percy & Gizmo

Forever in my heart. Sunny the Corella
Hi everyone,
As you know Peter was under the weather a while back. He has bounced back brilliant and back to his normal self. However now Cosmo seems to be not quite right, The past couple of days I have noticed him being a lot quieter, closing his eyes a lot. He isnā€™t puffed up and he is flying very well. Different symptoms to Peter.
Sprinkles has been going through a tough moult for a few weeks now, but is doing okay.
The 2 ā€˜Tiels are not showing any sign of illness. And Wattle also appears okay.
But Iā€™m worried there is an underlying infection in Cosmo. As he is still flying, and appears much brighter in the afternoons (chatting etc) Iā€™d really prefer not to stress him by taking him out of the aviary. So my question is can I use the medication ā€˜Sulfa 3ā€™ in their water. It treats chlamydia and other common bird infections. Will it harm the other birds who donā€™t appear sick? My vet did say a few weeks ago when Peter was ill that I could treat the whole aviary, though she never ended up prescribing me medication so Iā€™m not sure what she would have given me compared to the Sulfa 3 which I have purchased.
13B3C980-9A56-4996-AA4F-C378DF17DC46.jpeg

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Chlamydia can effect different systems and causes different symptoms in birds.

I would treat them all, symptoms or no.
You may remember i had too, some didn't have symptoms, tho all but 1 did have weight loss

OP
HannahandSunny

HannahandSunny

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 13, 2019
Australia
Parrots
Cockatiels. Percy & Gizmo

Forever in my heart. Sunny the Corella
Chlamydia can effect different systems and causes different symptoms in birds.

I would treat them all, symptoms or no.
You may remember i had too, some didn't have symptoms, tho all but 1 did have weight loss
Thank you so much!
Iā€™m glad to hear itā€™s okay to treat them all. As I do feel something is underlying in the aviary amongst all the birds.
I took their water away about 5 hours ago and itā€™s a very hot day.. poor buggers! Putting it back in now with the antibiotic medication.. hopefully they will go straight for a drink. I will treat for 5 to 7 days as stated on the bottle.
Thanks again

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Wish I had advice Hannah, but unfamiliar with whole-flock water soluble treatments. Wonder if vet will prescribe or recommend best meds?

Most Reactions